The Best (most welcoming) Cigar Smoking Cities?

Not anymore with the smoking ban, but I know your favorite place to go to smoke.

Where? I'm now in search mode for future trips. Really pissed me off to walk in my favorite bars (Le Booze at the Royal Sonesta and the French Bar at Arnaud's) and be told I can no longer smoke there. I'm still in shock and highly disappointed in this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up until about three months ago, I would have said New Orleans, but as with most all other cities these days, the Liberals have prevailed, and smoking is no longer allowed in the bars of the city. I

I think Las Vegas in the US is largest city where a cigar has the most places to be smoked without being molested. (there are always exceptions of course)

anywhere in Spain. But my fav. is Barcelona. Stay at the Casa Camper hotel just off the Rambla. Morning breakfast included in stay and a kitchen open all day for free snacks (juice, sandwich, fruit

Where? I'm now in search mode for future trips. Really pissed me off to walk in my favorite bars (La Booze at the Royal Sonesta and the French Bar at Arnaud's) and be told I can no longer smoke there. I'm still in shock and highly disappointed in this.

The place is not in the Downtown area, is in Metairie

Where? I'm now in search mode for future trips. Really pissed me off to walk in my favorite bars (La Booze at the Royal Sonesta and the French Bar at Arnaud's) and be told I can no longer smoke there. I'm still in shock and highly disappointed in this.

The place is not in the Downtown area, is in Metairie

• 1 year later...

Let's keep this list going...

I have had great luck in Montreal, Miami, Key West, London and New Orleans but I guess I was just walking around and in "outdoor" bars. Atlanta is fairly free...Savannah was good or I got lucky.

Actually thinking about a road trip to NOLA this week with a stop in Pensacola...or east to Savannah. I just might go out of my mind in the house till next Tuesday.

Switzerland is generally a very cigar friendly place. Smoking is mainly allowed in designated cigar lounges but they are (almost) everywhere. Basel is a city of ca 300k inhabitants and has 4 cigar lounges. My favorite one is the Puros y Mas. Excellent crowd. Nice place to hang out and meet new folks.

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/dimension=960x10000:format=jpg/path/s0170c2d98ffa0e15/image/ic4fae98738d389a3/version/1417101106/image.jpg

The most extravagant cigar lounge I know in Switzerland is in Andermatt in The Chedi Hotel. Just mind blowing interior design. Worthwhile a trip at all times.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/17/23F8A59B00000578-2870042-image-a-3_1418807211942.jpg

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomhsu said:

Switzerland is generally a very cigar friendly place. Smoking is mainly allowed in designated cigar lounges but they are (almost) everywhere. Basel is a city of ca 300k inhabitants and has 4 cigar lounges. My favorite one is the Puros y Mas. Excellent crowd. Nice place to hang out and meet new folks.

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/dimension=960x10000:format=jpg/path/s0170c2d98ffa0e15/image/ic4fae98738d389a3/version/1417101106/image.jpg

The most extravagant cigar lounge I know in Switzerland is in Andermatt in The Chedi Hotel. Just mind blowing interior design. Worthwhile a trip at all times.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/17/23F8A59B00000578-2870042-image-a-3_1418807211942.jpg

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Yes. I will smoke at both places thank you!

In no particular order and based on places to smoke and cigars available in the city

Tokyo

hong Kong (my current home!) 

bali and Jakarta because you can smoke anywhere, but best to bring your own as seems supply an issue

London (my hometown!) 

In no particular order and based on places to smoke and cigars available in the city

Tokyo

hong Kong (my current home!) 

bali and Jakarta because you can smoke anywhere, but best to bring your own as seems supply an issue

London (my hometown!) 

I was in Jakarta a few weeks ago. Unfortunately there were no specific cigar lounges. But yes, just go in any bar/club and enjoy your cigar, which is kind of cool.

In HK cigars seemed very expensive. You can bring your own but max 1 stick per person, if I am not mistaken.

Never had the chance to smoke in Tokyo or London. Any specific recommendation?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

18 hours ago, tomhsu said:

I like the cigar lounge next to Portmann's near Basel.

Jimmy's cigar lounge at the Regent in Singapore is great place for cigar and he has every cigar ever made it seems...

For USA, the best smoking city I have been to is Oklahoma City.  Several restaurants allow smoking along with cigar lounges.  Only problem smoking outside is that it is always windy!  I use to travel weekly to OKC and could hardly find a time to smoke outside at the hotel as I couldn't get the cigar lit!

I like Emirates for smoking, plenty of indoor and outdoor spaces allow smoking. 

• Like 1

Although no real understanding of cigar culture to speak of Istanbul is a great place to light up as many, many people smoke cigarettes/cigars (when not dodging idiots with bombs/guns). The moment you lay your cigar on the table at a restaurant an ashtray appears (a real cigar ashtray) for you to enjoy your leaf.

e

• Like 1

Most cities in Florida, particularly metro Tampa and Orlando, along with Miami.  I prefer Tampa, with Ybor City's charm and history.  Big plus for Florida is that it is one of only 3 or 4 states/districts with no state cigar taxes - thus far.

Tokyo: Le Connoisseur Ginza, Chardonnay in Shibuya, and the New York Bar at the Park Hyatt.

Also the Dunhill lounge in Ginza is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New York has gotten worse, with the ban in parks and such, but there are still plenty of lounges dotting the boroughs (for now).

I've been to 3 Davidoff lounges below 59th street.  All have decent views or people watching opportunities, but limited hours and selection.  Nat Sherman has a nice feel and a much larger selection, but the hours are just as limited.  Barclay Rex opened a new spot downtown, but haven't been yet.  The Cigar Inn location on 2nd Avenue at 52nd street is a home run.  In addition to being open late, it has good prices and a decent selection.  Plus, it's BYOB with a great liquor store nearby, which is clutch.  In every place I've been, the people are very friendly, even to new faces.  Sometimes that's as important as the location and selection.

I haven't smoked much in Buenos Aires, always visiting family or running around, but I imagine the cigar scene should be decent since everyone smokes.  The one shop I've visited was in Soho; it had almost no selection and the quality was terrible.  Anyone have any recommendations?  Or should I just find the LCDH's next time?

Ho Chi Minh is definitely the most cigar friendly city I have been to. Most bars have outdoor areas, as do coffee shops. There is a reasonable selection available for purchase around too. 

I enjoyed the divan scene in Hong Kong but I found that, generally, it is not an easy place to light up a cigar outside of specific lounges. There is an excellent selection available to purchase though

3 hours ago, DBNInc said:

New York has gotten worse, with the ban in parks and such, but there are still plenty of lounges dotting the boroughs (for now).

I only know of a few places for the whole City.  What are your borough suggestions?

On 03/01/2017 at 8:55 PM, tomhsu said:

Thanks for that!  A friend recently bought a place in Andermatt and I hope to be there in March or April, so this is good to know

NYC has been hit with regulations that have shut down many of the old time cigar bars & lounges. However, there are still some fantastic smoking spots in Manhattan. Club Macanudo and Carnegie Club are very nice if you're looking for an upscale cigar bar that you can enjoy a cocktail with your cigar. Carnegie Club also does a "Sinatra Saturday's" that is worth seeing and they waive their cutting fee's on those dates if you choose to bring in your own stick. Davidoff and Nat Sherman are classic cigar lounges in the city, that have a great variation of NC's and superb service, you can take your sticks with you or enjoy in their lounge area. My favorite Cigar lounge in the city is Cigar Inn, I've only been to the 2nd ave location (they recently opened another shop on 73rd) but the staff is always friendly, they have plenty of comfortable seating arrangements and they let you bring in outside alcohol to enjoy with your cigars (there's a liquor store next door!), just tip your waitress a few dollars when she brings you a glass. If you have a stick with you and the weather is nice, I recommend the rooftop bar at Hyatt Harald Square, this is not a cigar bar or lounge, however the staff will provide you with an ashtray and allow you to smoke your cigars 20 stories up with a great view of the empire state building. Please use common sense here as I feel it is only a matter of time before they shut down smoking on the rooftop, as it is the only rooftop I know of in the city that allows smoking (if anyone has any other spots, please let me know). Lastly if it is a nice day i recommend Sheeps Meadow at Central Park, this is a big open lawn where many NYC natives picnic and relax when the weather is nice. Grab a blanket or sheet, your favorite drink and stick and enjoy! 

12 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I only know of a few places for the whole City.  What are your borough suggestions?

In the outer boroughs I just check Yelp or TripAdvisor, there are cigar shops in all of the decent areas.

In the Bronx, for example, there's:

Lehman Cigars

Arthur Avenue Cigars (eh)

Amadiz Cigars

Rosario's Dominican Cigars

I don't know Brooklyn well, but a google search brought up Diamante's.  I think I've been there and enjoyed it.

In Manhattan, besides the places I mentioned in my post above and the places JFeath74 mentioned a couple of posts after that, here's a list in no particular order:

Merchant's Cigar Bar (pricey, limited selection)

Hudson Bar and Books

Martinez Handmade Cigars

Wall Street Humidor (used to be public, sometimes you'll find it open)

Blew Smoke

Soho Cigar Bar (pricey and limited selection)

Grand Havana Room (tough getting in)

NYC Fine Cigars (small, but good house sticks)

Plus plenty of other places in Harlem.

There's gotta be good spots in Queens too, but I've never smoked there.  Staten Island I wouldn't have high hopes for.

Westchester is tougher, but Doc's is on the money.  Jersey, a short path train away, has quite a few as well.