Plugged cigar poll

Plugged cigars  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a plugged cigar poll only and does not relate to other construction issues.

Clarification:

The poll was for seriously plugged, not totally plugged. I prefer a slightly tight draw as is the norm with a decently rolled Cuban. What I am referring to are those that really take a big effort to get airflow to the extent that it ruins the experience of the cigar..

My plugged hit rate is about 10%

Plug issues are non existent in recent production for a few years now for me.

The issue is windtunnels, some shocking problems. It's becoming a real issue for me.

I recently grabbed singles of the new vegeros and D6 to try and all were unsmokable because of the draw.

If I want hot harsh windtunnels I'll buy NCs and save my money

Bring back they plug I say!

• Like 3

I have only ever had one plugged cigar out of the 150+ Cubans I've smoked in my lifetime. I realize I don't have as many numbers under my belt but in terms of a percentage this is under 1%. I've had about a dozen with tighter draws but they were still smokable. Plugged to me means it's impossible to get through.

I don't smoke CCs exclusively, so my experience is most likely lower than most here, but I have only had 1 completely plugged cigar, a PSDN4. It was a single I picked up so I cannot speak for the rest of the box and I didn't check the box date, but it was around 2010. This would put me below 1% easily.

My biggest pet peeve is a plugged cigar. Nothing pisses me off worse (except for neighbors but that is another thread). I can deal with a wonky burn, a bit too loose, etc...but I can't deal with a plugged cigar.

I had a box of HURR where half the box was plugged. I've gone through several boxes of these over the past year and without fail, there is a tent peg in there somewhere.

(first person that says 'storage conditions' is having a hit put out on them lookaround.gif )

I still only put about 5% because it does not happen often but it does happen.

• Like 1

It's rare, but happens. I'd have voted none, but a bad box of HURR, a couple from an RG PE box, and some Robaina Familiars skewed me just a touch closer to the 5% mark

• Like 1

It's rare, but happens. I'd have voted none, but a bad box of HURR, a couple from an RG PE box, and some Robaina Familiars skewed me just a touch closer to the 5% mark

Whoever is rolling those HURR is ANGRY and needs to relax a little. I think he/she is taking it out on the tobaccy!

• Like 1

I would say that my completely plugged rate is around 1% or less. I find the really tight draw even more frustrating than plugged. If its a piece of wood then I can sigh and chuck it and grab another. If the draw is way too tight I will keep trying to message it or drill it, but it is never a satisfying relaxing smoke.

• Like 2

There is tight and there is plugged. I can remember exactly two cigars that were absolutely plugged with zero airflow no matter how I massaged, or prodded or poked....2...out of thousands...Tom, if your getting 2 or 3 out of every box that is plugged to zero airflow, something is very wrong....

edit: now that I think a bit more about the specific cigars, one was a Boli PC I smoked at a lounge here when you were in town last Tom. I remember you commenting how I quit on it sooner than you would have.

There is tight and there is plugged...

Very true. However, sometimes the line is very faint between the two. I don't poke cigars or use tools to get them to smoke. If I have to use a tool to drive down the middle of my cigar...that is a plug. (I will add IMHO peace.gif )

A tight draw requires more effort than normal but still can be enjoyable. If you can't get a draw, despite a 'vigorous massage' or some time in the fridge (Thank you Rob), that is a plug. Plugs can be fixed, i.e. a poker and the like, but it is a plug none the less.

I smoke a cigar to relax. If I just get pissed trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose, I'm going to pitch it and get another.

• Like 3

There is tight and there is plugged. I can remember exactly two cigars that were absolutely plugged with zero airflow no matter how I massaged, or prodded or poked....2...out of thousands...Tom, if your getting 2 or 3 out of every box that is plugged to zero airflow, something is very wrong....

edit: now that I think a bit more about the specific cigars, one was a Boli PC I smoked at a lounge here when you were in town last Tom. I remember you commenting how I quit on it sooner than you would have.

Shlomo, The poll was for seriously plugged, not totally plugged. I prefer a slightly tight draw as is the norm with a decently rolled Cuban. What I am referring to are those that really take a big effort to get airflow to the extent that it ruins the experience of the cigar..

Can't see the poll on Tapatalk but it would be in the 1% or less range. I store and smoke at 65% and I do smoke a fair amount of 1999 - 2002 sticks. Underfilling has been a much bigger problem for me - I'd put that at >5% of recent production (2010 onward).

• Like 1

Very few cigars I smoke are plugged. I can recall 3, and that's it, off the top of my head. A 2010 Partagas presidente, an '05 monte especiales no 2 and an '11 monte 4. That said I voted 0% even though it is closer to 1%.

Overall average is better than 1 in 100, so I rounded down to 0%

Caveat: Short filler smokes seem to have tighter draws than I prefer about 30-40% of the time.

I must be getting all the bad boxes then as I've certainly experienced higher than 5% over time.

A recent worse case I have 8 out of the 25 Sir Winstons in a box from 2008 that are on the very edge of plugged. Also have collected almost a dozen RASCC and a dozen SC Principes across several boxes the last couple of years I am waiting/hoping will open up.

This at 63.5% humidity.