Why do some bad mouth cc's?

There is a bias on both ends. Those who cannot legally sell Cuban cigars have a bias and their best interests in mind when they say that NCs are "better" and CCs are just hype. But, that doesn't mean they are lying, or wrong, or ignorant, or buying fakes, etc....It could simply mean they like NCs better.

In your example, the person, to avoid ridicule, should probably say that "I like NC's better..." instead of saying "NC's are better"

There is a big difference in someone saying their opinion is that they like NC's or CC's better, than saying NC's or CC's are definitively better. This is even more so if the scope of measurement one uses to make such a statement is non existent, non experienced or not sufficient.

my 2 cents

I don't really care what cigars people prefer, it's none of my business, but I've had no shortage of B&M owners make up ridiculous facts and statements to bad mouth CC's and I have had no shortage of inexperienced CC smokers make claims bad mouthing CC's, when most of the time they have never even held one in their hand. To me, that is ignorance.

This was about "bad mouthing" CC's Not NC vs CC. When someone bad mouths anything for no valid or fact based logical reason, I think the term ignorance fits pretty well.

Maybe the OP should change the title to "Which type of Cigars do you prefer?" or move the thread to the "NC Vs CC existing thread, instead of "Why do some people bad mouth CCs?" 80% of the subject matter so far has noting to do with the title of the thread really.

rotfl.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my experence the main reason people bad mouth CC's are varied. Sometimes its due to certain NC manufactures and retailers attempting to downplay the qaulity of the cigars they have no chance of se

Well, I typed out a really long, poignant and articulate response....no really I did, but then I accidentally punched the "back" button, and lost it all. So to paraphrase: "There are a lot of dumb pe

It is possible that some people truly prefer NCs. No reason to call them ignorant, or dumb, or say they are nothing more than greedy business owners.

Various reasons. Everyone has their own taste preferences. You cant try just one and say cubans suck. I smoked through 14 different smokes out of my sampler and found 4 or five I would not order again, 4 on the top of my list as best smokes ever and the rest I would order if a good deal came up on them. But the people I have come across that bash them.

1. Smoked a fake while on or from someone who brought them back from a Caribbean vacation.

2. Tried one type

3. Kept in a zip lock bag for a long period of time etc (not a humidor)

4. Not a enthusiast in any light and just smoke whatever sampler they can get the most sticks for the cheapest $

5. Cant get them or don't know much about them themselves

6. Wouldn't know good taste if it walked up and punched them in the mouth.

• Like 3

Why care what others think? If you feel CC are better great. If someone else feels NC are more there smoke great. Every NC only smoker means more stock is available for people who appreciate CC.

Store owners in the US obviously are bias to what they can sell.

Here in Canada where both are available the bias is towards what they are trying to move due to promotions or overstock.

Every smoker has there own taste and bias. A bad fake can sour someone for ever. A cheap NC can do the same.

Everyone enjoy your weekend and smoke a great cigar regardless where it came from.

• Like 1

^^^ x2. I am done discussing this stuff as well as fakes, cost, etc. life is too short. More power too ya and more cc's for us. If you would like to try one some time, come on by.

The end.

CB

"The End"..... That's just fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd agree with much of what's already been said - lack of real experience or ulterior motive. But I also think it can be a two way street - one of the most ridiculous things I've read / heard over the years has been something along these lines: "I'd rather smoke a crappy Cuban than any NC, any day of the week"...

CB has alluded to this being an exercise in futility (my words). Some rail against NCs - marketing, hype, packaging, flashy bands, etc. I'm another who has a great dislike of comparison to Cuban cigars - sell us on the qualities of the tobacco from which your cigars are produced. If we don't enjoy the cigars - great. But to lump all together is, well, fairly insulting.

And let's not forget - Habanos is the marketing / distribution arm of the Cuban cigar industry. The yearly Habanos festival - marketing. The Partagas festival - marketing. Flashy / multiple bands and boxes - marketing. ELs, REs - marketing. If all this marketing (regardless of country of origin) equated to superior products, that would be great...

rolleyes.gif

In this day and age of so many entities saying one thing, meaning another, not being genuine, etc. I think I can safely conclude that practically every B&M owner who makes his mouth spout what "bad" or "over-hyped" cigars our beloved CC's are...probably privately has hordes and HORDES of CC's in his own home or in storage for himself. I wouldn't doubt it at all. As has been stated numerous times earlier here, they've got NC's they've got to move or sell. And part of their sales techniques are, "Aww, Cubans ain't that great!" Throughout the years of my hearing this I just politely and silently listen to that spiel. And when I return to my own domicile - LOOK OUT, CC's, Mama's comin' to SMOKE ya! drool.gifcigar.gif And no doubt, so does that proprietor!

• Like 2

All valid points, another thing to consider is Cubans if not properly stored can be crap but not at the cigars fault. I know some people will disagree but when I smoked NCs I had my humidor at 70rh and then lowered it to 65. The difference was strangely obvious. For some reason a lot of my Cubans smoked heaps better after. About a month or two ago I found 5 or so cigars in a cigar caddy that I had forgot about, I had left a boveda in there but the Cubans were atrocious (harsh, hot, ammonia etc) but the Tatuajes were great. Could be a coincidence but perhaps the heavier flavours of non cuban tobacco helps hide some of the nastier flavours we get in over/under humidified cigars. Then again, while I don't buy NC cigars anymore, I still enjoy most of the ones people gift to me (higher end ones mind you). All it takes is one bad experience with something to put some people off for a lifetime.

I just tell those that are adament that I find CCs more interesting & flavorful than NCs. If they are persistent I gift them a NC I've been trying to get rid of that is taking up room in my humidor. Also, B&M owners make their living on selling what they have in stock. Chevy dealers will not tell you a Ford is better...

• Like 1

Can't say I've really heard much in the way of anyone bad mouthing Cuban cigars. Maybe because both Cuban and non- Cuban are available here.

• Like 1

My local shops all badmouth Cuban cigars. I just compare then to wine- badmouthing Cuban cigars is like badmouthing California Cabernet's. Some are good, some are bad, it's personal preference.

Most people, if I can talk to them, who badmouth Cubans have never smoked a lot of them. Understandable when they are difficult to procure.

I lament the quality control, but there is nothing like a CC.

I smoke more NCs recently due to convenience, but whenever I really want to sit down and smoke, my go to cigars are all Cuban.

Thought about this more and I think a lot of it has to do with price. Looking over the recent CA magazine list (yes I am a subscriber!), A Padron 7000, given a score of 92 points, is $7.92.

An A. Flores 1975 Serie Privada Capa Habano, 93 points? $9.75

Not to mention the marketing behind these guys have band that cover nearly a third of the stick and names as long as your arm. To look at a Cuban cigar, a consumer may think it is too expensive and boring, especially as a gift for dad.

Thought about this more and I think a lot of it has to do with price. Looking over the recent CA magazine list (yes I am a subscriber!), A Padron 7000, given a score of 92 points, is $7.92.

An A. Flores 1975 Serie Privada Capa Habano, 93 points? $9.75

Not to mention the marketing behind these guys have band that cover nearly a third of the stick and names as long as your arm. To look at a Cuban cigar, a consumer may think it is too expensive and boring, especially as a gift for dad.

Your observation of what the marketing guys are doing with those cigar bands that give you no choice but to HAVE to remove it to smoke comfortably, and the long as your arm names compared to the simpler Cuban bands: it makes me think of an old African proverb: "A good thing sells itself; a bad thing wants advertising."

• Like 1

I'd agree with much of what's already been said - lack of real experience or ulterior motive. But I also think it can be a two way street - one of the most ridiculous things I've read / heard over the years has been something along these lines: "I'd rather smoke a crappy Cuban than any NC, any day of the week"...

Heard that, don't agree. A solid NC can beat a crappy Habanos any day.

Would also add that many smoke cigars that are too young, improperly stored, cheaper vitolas, or just bad blends. Cuba may have the best tobacco, but the poorest quality control in the world. I'd rather not smoke at all, than smoke a poorly constructed or blended cigar.

It's just a limitation in basic human nature to polarise and defend an egoic choice...right, wrong, or indifferent.

You see it in every aspect of life, in every group where individuals come together...

Enjoy the company of those that enjoy yours real friends, choices don't matter...

You can never convince anyone of anything and what's the point anyway?

Insecurity acts with hostility to protect it's choices thereby sustaining it's "foundation" of self worth...otherwise being proven wrong would equate to being "less than" which many simply couldn't deal with.

Enjoy what you enjoy and do you best to enjoy others doing what they enjoy.

Acceptance is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well, I typed out a really long, poignant and articulate response....no really I did, but then I accidentally punched the "back" button, and lost it all. So to paraphrase:

"There are a lot of dumb people walking around, taking up air on this planet, and also a lot of dumb people that believe anything they hear, and a lot of dumb people who do about anything to make themselves feel better and cooler about what only they know about, as well as, a lot of dumb people who don't know anything about what the reality is of what anything really costs"

^ pretty much sums up what I typed.

^This is why. Perfectly summarized!

The people I know who do badmouth cc all mention quality control issues with cc.

People who bad mouth about quality control or consistency issues don't know how to procure their cigars properly.

I don't go to my grocery store and have my check out bag boy go pick me out a steak, nope I go pick my own or have a butcher I trust to pick it out for me. As so with CC's! Life's too short to be cheap on Steaks and Stogies!

• Like 1

People who bad mouth about quality control or consistency issues don't know how to procure their cigars properly.

I don't go to my grocery store and have my check out bag boy go pick me out a steak, nope I go pick my own or have a butcher I trust to pick it out for me. As so with CC's! Life's too short to be cheap on Steaks and Stogies!

People who bad mouth CC's dont think you should have to wade through a pile of boxes to find a decent looking cigar.

If you have to go to a bottle shop and dig through 50 cases of scotch in order to find a bottle that looked right, you'd prob never buy that scotch.

It is a shame that there are times where buying CC's blind are a crap shoot at best. I dont have a B&M within 1000km's of me and most of the time I cant afford to pay Aus prices for hand picked stock from Rob, so I learn to live with the fact that on some boxes I'm rolling the dice.

Now, if I had to take this attitude with any other consumable product I'd consider that a serious negative too.

I mean think about it. If you bought a bottle of milk that was spoiled straight from the store, you'd take it back. If you buy a cigar that tastes like crap cause the tobacco has been under fermented, you chalk that one up to Cuba being Cuba and move on.

Its interesting how forgiving us cigar guys can be when it comes to Habanos...

The problem with people bad mouthing CC's is that some of the time, thier points are valid and justifed.

Sometimes CC's are crap straight out of the box

You do need to worry about fakes, constantly

Some are to mellow for some people

Buying stock blind is a bad idea, most of the time

There are some good NC's out there that are almost as good

The bottom line is that nothing else out there tastes like a Cuban. Other manufactures have spent years proving this point and while the CC faithful among us adore this, so much so that we are prepared to look past the often numerous negatives, you cant blame some people for not seeing the same picture as we do.

They dont get it and that, in my oppinion, is their loss

• Like 2

If you want to bad mouth and not buy CC's because of there construction and lack of inconsistency in the past, that is fine with me. After all it is a fact. But to bad mouth any cigar because you dont like the flavor, that I disagree with. No cigar will taste the same to everybody.

I totally disagree with Guy's(laficion) post above, but if that is what he likes, then there is no reason for me to bash on Peso cigars and say they suck just because I don't like them.

If you want to bad mouth and not buy CC's because of there construction and lack of inconsistency in the past, that is fine with me. After all it is a fact. But to bad mouth any cigar because you dont like the flavor, that I disagree with. No cigar will taste the same to everybody.

I totally disagree with Guy's(laficion) post above, but if that is what he likes, then there is no reason for me to bash on Peso cigars and say they suck just because I don't like them.

Agreed. To each their own. No need to let this thread turn into a *** for tat.

• 3 weeks later...

I've experienced quality issues with a bunch of CCs, I just don't know how someone can deny that it is a fact. Even with carefully picked cigars, it happens. Even with cigars from our host.

Its more luck of the draw.

• Like 1