Official World Cup Thread

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best thing about Brazil 2014 so far? No vuvuzelas!

As a Liverpool fan, I'm disgusted. No supporting that. He's crazy and needs help.

I think everyone expected the Dutch to be good, but 5-1? Wow... Robben is 30 years old and he was running circles around the Spanish defenders.

4 games on Saturday!.. party.gif

Yo Orange! I was in Amsterdam in 2006 when they won against Côte d'Ivoire.

That town was crazy, orange balloons and streamers on every building and Dutch rolling out of the pubs on fire! Imagine it's like that today as well.

I was impressed by austrailia 's play. I feared a blow out after it went up 2-0 but played well. They did seem tired in the last 10 minutes.

Yeah, I was pulling for them hoping they would play well. The had a lot of good chances. I thought they were going to tie it at 2 at least. They drew a fairly tough group so I was hoping they would at least tie Chile.

Great day for the Dutch! A very well deserved win. "tiki taka" football. My father uses that phrase often-I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can somebody share a link to the games online on demand? Can't find it on cbc.

I watched the game online with Univision coverage. You will not find it on CBC. The tournament is on ABC and ESPN.

Scoreline doesn't reflect how well Australia played for a great part of the match. Some very nervous early mistakes and dare I say it without sounding like a bad loser, but some ordinary refereeing for both sides really. Cahill was offside but I thought there was a clear freekick not given to Australia on the edge of the box late in the game that slightly tainted the solid performance by the Socceroos. Overall, not a bad start but I fear that was our last chance to notch a win against a very attacking side who ran out of gas in the heat. Netherlands and Spain will be a different story. Looking forward to England v Italy, just for the spectacle and emotion involved.

I don't understand why you couldn't get the games. I watched all the games on CBC Montreal. I also checked the guide for tomorrow and CBC is again carrying the games.

Can somebody share a link to the games online on demand? Can't find it on cbc.

I watched the game online with Univision coverage. You will not find it on CBC. The tournament is on ABC and ESPN.

I don't understand why you couldn't get the games. I watched all the games on CBC Montreal. I also checked the guide for tomorrow and CBC is again carrying the games.

Sorry, I got it wrong. I misread and now realize you were referring to the Canadian Broadcast Corporation, not CBS :-) but, it is a lot fun to listen to the folks on Univision! I will be in Toronto next week so now I know where I can catch the games. Thanks!

One very proud Aussie here. The results don't matter for us in this tournament as much as the style of play. This is a very new team playing their fifth game together. The future is looking bright and we are building a new generation of players with a view of doing well in future tournaments. That said, we are no mugs and anyone that plays us will have to work damn hard to beat us.

No fear. Never.

As for the tournament winner I only hope that its a team that plays great football and doesnt rely on gamemanship (ie cheating) for goals.

• Like 1

I cannot believe the Dutch! I was cheering for them but never expected that! I wondered what the Spanish would do when the rest of the world figured out how to beat their system, doesn't look like they have a way to change their system when the going gets rough. They only brought one true forward (Villa is too small to be a significant change in tactics) so they may have problems changing things up even if they want to, and Torres really hasn't been in top form for several years.

One very proud Aussie here. The results don't matter for us in this tournament as much as the style of play.

with the greatest of respect, i don't swallow that for a second. i'm no great soccer fan - enjoy the gunners and would like to see australia do well here but if not, so be it. but are we really just in a tournament, even this one, just to make up the numbers?

tell me honestly that you would rather us play heroically but get tragically beaten after a great performance than sneak home with an ugly win? ask the players what they would prefer.

go back to brett lee almost getting us home in a last wicket stand in an early test in the 05 ashes, or border and thommo almost doing the same from further out back in the mid 80's. heroic losses, no doubt. and what aussie wouldn't have given a limb to see us get home (even, say, on the back of 40 no balls and 6 dropped catches by england) and win those. any way possible. there for a win, not to be epic losers.

realistically, we are next to no chance but now there is every possibility we'll come home beaten 3 zip and perhaps having managed only a single goal. if we are not there to win, we should not be there.

a heroic loss is still a loss. yes, better than going down say 5-1 (whoops), but still a loss.

I've watched 4/4 full games so far - will be 8/8 by 1pm tomorrow! biggrin.png

Australian game was good to watch, showed we still lack the cutting edge quality on the world stage. We certainly pushed Chile, and they weren't at all comfortable after the opening 15mins. A pity about those initial minutes though. Netherlands next will be a task, I'd love us to sneak a draw and get my bets back on track laugh.png

Australia is very much like the US was in '94 and '98, we simply did not have the talent and training to be truly competitive. Some days I don't think we're too far past that now. But, y'all have heart and that can carry you through the bad years and inspire the next generation. I always like watching the Socceroos because they run their socks off and work as a team no matter the score.

The best thing about Brazil 2014 so far?

No vuvuzelas!

Here here!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk