Official World Cup Thread

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best thing about Brazil 2014 so far? No vuvuzelas!

As a Liverpool fan, I'm disgusted. No supporting that. He's crazy and needs help.

Oscar was the best player today.. I agree. Fred and Hulk need to get a little more involved in some give-and-go passing. A lot of Brazil's passing seemed a little off today, especially in the offensive third of the field.

The GK for Croatia could have arguably done better on all three goals.

Wild card team of the tournament anyone?

Young Belgium wanting to prove something? France can always win any game if the team can stay friends? Young England with zero expectations or hype?

Who is going to be the biggest big-name lame duck?

Hoping Argentina, bringing politics into a traditional 'sport only' event by having the team pose with a Falklands banner was very poor form, but then again not a surprise after the video produced prior to the 2012 Olympics showing Argentinan athletes training on the British war memorial on the Falklands.. The WC should always, always leave politics and enmity behind and be about friendship through common enjoyment

Damn i really hope we don't see much of these horrible ref decisions, completely killed the game.

A big game tomorrow! Spain - Netherlands repeat of last WC final. What is your guys take on that one? Have spain been "figured out" & will Diego Costa perform as a clinical Target Man in the tiki taka system normally used with smaller quicker forwards?

Well I hope that ref does not officiate another game at this or any other WC Croatia were hard done by and Neymar is a cheeky scamp. Lucky to still be on the pitch at the end of the game imo.

• Like 1

Well I hope that ref does not officiate another game at this or any other WC Croatia were hard done by and Neymar is a cheeky scamp. Lucky to still be on the pitch at the end of the game imo.

I'm guessing the ref was under a huge amount of pressure from Fifa, Brazil and other entities to make sure Brazil won. There is no way he was going to send off Brazil's biggest player and/or make decisions that was going to cost Brazil on the opening game of their own WC especially in the climate of protests et al

Apparently the pitch at the Manaus stadium where Italy and England and playing Sat is in such bad state (large bald spots of baked mud, the edges of the pitch have dried up and started to curl up off the ground) that the groundsmen have resorted to painting the bare mud and dead grass green!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/manaus-pitch-painted-green-brazil-world-cup-officials-091339394.html#4S7lRIv

eep..

• Like 1

Agreed. That was clearly simulation.

I'm guessing the ref was under a huge amount of pressure from Fifa, Brazil and other entities to make sure Brazil won. There is no way he was going to send off Brazil's biggest player and/or make decisions that was going to cost Brazil on the opening game of their own WC especially in the climate of protests et al

Thats possible. Perhaps they did not want Brazil to burn itself down. However, the bigger issue is that FIFA incentivizes diving/simulation. They need to impose fines or instant replay, or something, to fix the problem. I realize this isn't FIFA's priority, but I don't think the US, Australasia, etc. can get behind football the way other countries have until they fix the simulation issue. Think about all the first time watchers that saw that penalty and the resultant momentum shift, and realize that games can be determined by bad refs/cheating.

The corruption of the governing body is ruining this competition. Countries that are not ready cannot be awarded this event.....

I think the influx of money is good for developing countries like South Africa and Brazil, but only if it gets into the right hands. As long as safety isn't an issue, I don't think see the real problem. However, the Qatar mess is crazy. Bribery, limited access to booze, no gays allowed, and slave labor... Sounds like a real fun time...

Also, did anybody else feel like the Croatian goalkeeper was on the take? Good lord, how do you play so poorly?

In any event, I'm off to watch today's matches. Enjoy gents.

I'm so exited right now, I can't handle it. 12 more minutes to go, this is really unbelievable. The Dutch team is SO hungry, they really wanted this and needed it and my Tumblr is blowing up because I'm live gif-ing the events.

• Like 1

So great to see that even with 3 minutes to go the Dutch lads were still determined to hammer onwards and still wanted more goals instead of just sitting back and thinking the game was already over!! What a cracking match to watch and some fantastic goals!

• Like 1

Good luck to our Australian hosts on the next match!!! I probably won't watch the whole match as it starts at 11pm here in the UK and I have work in the morning!!!

I know I have a cheeky bet on Chile and all but regardless of that it would be nice to see the Aussies do well!

• Like 1