Let's talk Boots

Another vote for RM's. You get what you pay for. Had mine for over 10 years and used to be worn everyday, 14+ hours a day. Works out to be bloody good value.

Used to be able to order customs on the website, not sure if it's still an option.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Bally's, which look great like dress shoes, but don't hold up well in winter - which is basically completely useless...but style points for sure. So from there I moved on to Harry's of London, Allen Edmunds, Alden, and Peal & Co. I wear those religiously - as you saw :D. Probably the only ones I own for dress shoes/boots, as they last...forever.

For more people friendly, I have heard great things about Frye, Red Wing Heritage, and Vintage.

There is an 8 Inch boot available which is the only boot I wear. They are harder to get out of the US but

I always move heaven and earth to get a pair when required they are that good.

I have the 6 inch that are pictured exactly.

I recently bought a pair of uggs on clearance not the girly ones but a nice leather pair and I am unsure if they need broken in more but they are no where near as comfortable as my timberlands.

I have been wanting to get a pair of redwings but I can't justify the price and I have enough boots and would rather spend money on cigars.

I still have a pair each of these, in brown ( greased leather ) and in black, almost 25 yrs now - typical southern Spanish Campero boots from Valverde del Camino, unbeatable and cheap at ca. 125 € today.

post-4742-0-33244200-1364472467_thumb.jp

I still have a pair each of these, in brown ( greased leather ) and in black, almost 25 yrs now - typical southern Spanish Campero boots from Valverde del Camino, unbeatable and cheap at ca. 125 ¤ today.

Those are beautiful, Nino.

Here are my Ostrich cowgirl beauties. I totally understand your needs Rob. At the store near us you can get lots of boots at half calf. The other suggestion I might look at are Frye boots.

http://www.thefryecompany.com/

post-8371-0-59633700-1364475078_thumb.jp

I don't know if they make boots or not, but what about Minnetonka? [sic?]

I have one of their all-leather hats, the "Outback", and it's an awesome piece of kit that I love to use and wear while fishing or while backpacking, or just generally travelling in hot and sunny areas through the Carribean (didn't bring it on this last trip to Cuba though - forgot it). I have that hat, and a classic old Tilly hat. The leather Minnetonka Outback is just awesome - stylish and functional.

Like I said, I don't know if they make boots, but their craftmanship and quality seems to be great.

Sidenote - I've always wanted to be brave enough to get some cowboy-style / long-style boots like are being discussed here. But, I've just never found anything that I think I could functionally wear - and not look like (even more of) a fool for doing so. For me, it's always been "standard" boot fare, such as Doc Marten's, Timberlands, Ecco, etc. (aside from combat boots and duty boots for work purposes, of course).

Rob, I think I've only seen you in boots. You Aussies can definitely pull it off, for whatever reason. Even Nate's gawd-awful blue suede "look-at-me-now!" boots, those were still somewhat doable by you guys. Must be because of the Aussie accent. ;):D Cuban chicks dig it.

Lucchese. Their Texan made line (the Classic) is fantastic and exceptionally well made. I like Cayman for a hard wearing leather.

Yep

Those are beautiful, Nino.

Here are my Ostrich cowgirl beauties. I totally understand your needs Rob. At the store near us you can get lots of boots at half calf. The other suggestion I might look at are Frye boots.

http://www.thefryecompany.com/

Lisa daydream.gif A lady after my own heart! I'm captivated by ostrich skin - particularly if you can find it in purple! I used to wear a pair of black leather boots with little handcuff bracelet - like decor around them. Quite a conversation piece for all who saw ok.gif

Some cool stuff on show here! I haven't seen cowboy boots outside of Soho :D

For trogging I've always loved ex surplus desert combat boots, pre worn in and you will get 15 years minimum out of them.

There are quite a few boutique crafters setting up nowadays and luckily their first business set up is online,

--------------

Some nice looking cuban heels in a boutique Oz store here Rob:

http://gandlshoes.com/category.php?id_category=12

I go along with the Frye boot recommendation.

Also had a pair of Red Wings that I loved but they finally gave up the ghost.

What about Wolverine 1000 mile boots? Just got a pair. Not too sure about them yet but seem to be pretty good.

One of these days I'd like to try a pair of White's Boots but I think you need to get them custom.

I had a pair of blue suede desert boots in Cuba last time. The only pair of shoes I've had there where I was stopped in the street, often, by Cubans asking where I got them. I don't even think it was because they thought I looked like a wanker! :)

As for elasticated brown ostrich ankle jobs, don't ask me. Docs or Meindls for me.

I'd go with two pairs to alternate wearing them and they would probably never wear out. Two different colors of the same boot or two different skin types to mix it up a bit.

Seems like most of the boot/shoe brands in the US are starting to copy RM Williams but not using single piece leather... stitching all over. Allen Edmonds (who make long-lasting dress shoes), Kenneth Cole, etc. etc. are all going with the RM Williams look. They are showing up in all of the boutique stores in Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus, etc.

On a near future trip to NYC I'm stopping in at the RM Williams store just to get measured and order a pair.