Random Cigar Thoughts

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went through a spell over the last 6 months or so. Nothing tasted good to me. I lost interest in food, cooking, cigars, etc. When I drank, it was for the effect, not for the taste. I eventually wen

I'm super saddened by the passing of the greatness of the country of my citizenship (Australia) and how damn hard it's getting to have a smoke in some public place and not get lectured about how horri

NEWARK, N.J. -- U.S. Senator Frank R. Lautenberg (D-N.J.) has renewed his call for a ban on flavored cigars, which he claimed are "surging in popularity" among children and young adults. Uh, no. They

Thanks Claus, I think the extras are short filler are they not? That would explain why. Are they big flavor light body like du gourmets?

Nice lgc's up there, need to try some one day I've only had the skinny shorter one like a panetela forget which number that is.

Thanks Claus, I think the extras are short filler are they not? That would explain why. Are they big flavor light body like du gourmets?

Nice lgc's up there, need to try some one day I've only had the skinny shorter one like a panetela forget which number that is.

Correct, the Extras are TC. The Panetelas (non extra) are rather light but quite flavorful. A little bit "chalky". The HDMs are much more woody by comparison.

I think you are referring to the MdO #4 which is the shortest one of the MdOs.

I expect nothing in a cigar and am often surprised..sometimes exhillerated.

When you ask me for the best cigars I have ever smoked I relate to the times I have smoked them with people.Ryan and Rob Fox in Havana, Ken on his deck, Smithy when we mull the afternoon away (not often enough), Freefallguy (Rob Schildt) in Nicaragua.

Cgars are but the cross on the "T" the dot on the "i".

So....

Did you ever light up a cigar, and just think....

I could sell my house, rob a bank, move to Cuba after paddling across the sea, start working for H S.A. and inject some common sense into their marketing and product line-ups, tasting and testing all the different blends, getting oodles and oodles of free cigars, and live a life of absolute luxury, maybe not being a materially rich man, but still being wealthy nonetheless.

But....

Then you wake up from your daydream, and think....

Nah....that'll never work....

It's unrealistic to think that H S.A. would have common sense in it's business plan. :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who has this constant fear of running out? I have a winedor bursting with boxes.. I buy more than I consume (3-4 cigars a week) vs a minimal of 1 box per month.

Yet, the fear is constantly there :lol:

Me? Never :no:.

But hang on there Big Al, I gotta check my stash.

Looks like I'm running low on Boli RC - only 20 left in the box...

Best cigar moment: pulling that first cigar out of a fresh box - such anticipation.

Worst cigar moment: pulling that first cigar out of a fresh box - it's the first step to an empty box.

My thought for the day:

Buy as much storage and buy as many boxes of great cigars as possible over the next 5 years. I truly think the days of being able to buy cigars freely, and without 200-500% markup, around the world is slowly coming to an end. I am probably being an alarmist, but before I am 45 (31 now) I expect that tobacco products will be illegal to purchase in many Nanny State/Totalitarian countries. I will now put my foil hat back on and get back to work.

One positive thought -- at least Cuba will always produce cigars and welcome cigar smokers with open arms. I hope . . .

One positive thought -- at least Cuba will always produce cigars and welcome cigar smokers with open arms. I hope . . .

In practice it's not an issue, but Cuba has theoretically taken the first steps a few years ago and introduced public smoking bans

I used to primarily smoke big cigars.....pyramids and robustos at the small end and Churchills, canonazos and double coronas at the big end. I have all evening every evening to smoke as much as I want and yet I have mostly migrated to smaller cigars.....perlas on the small end, lots of petit coronas in the middle and dalias and Cervantes on the larger end.

Why?

Because it allows me to smoke just as much but have more choice.....ie smoke two to three smaller cigars as opposed to one whopper or two robustos.

I'm really enjoying this step down in my normal smoking size range.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631780,-87.070730

^I've bought a lot of smaller smokes for this purpose, and sometimes I'm not in the mood for a long smoke because of how exhausted I am after work etc. I find double coronas just way too big to enjoy, it's like ordering a full stack of pancakes when a short stack is all you can eat.

I actually do have that same fear that someday we will be unable to purchase cigars and we will be left with only visiting the motherland or the odd country and be able to smoke there.

I have thought down this path as well my friend. I have a couple boxes I hope to save for my daughters wedding day. I've wondered if I'll even be able to smoke them at the wedding :covereyes:

Not meaning to bring up the popular cliche, but you can never go big enough... whatever you buy you'll need bigger. Maybe a good reason to go small though LOL :peace:

I went from a 50ct desktop to a 28 bottle fridge thinking that'll be enough. Now I'm thinking either 144 bottle fridge or Avallo 2000 cooled. I'd take the Avallo, but shipping to Sydney will break the budget.

Might have to settle for Pig's compressor fridge conversion thread.

I went from a 50ct desktop to a 28 bottle fridge thinking that'll be enough. Now I'm thinking either 144 bottle fridge or Avallo 2000 cooled. I'd take the Avallo, but shipping to Sydney will break the budget.

Might have to settle for Pig's compressor fridge conversion thread.

Been working on new controls... new ideas and building a controlled ice chest project for those who want control but no cooling in their ice chest. Dr. Frankenstein wired one of my new PLC controllers into an existing wine fridge with a lesser controller. These controls have opened so many doors! What I was using before, can't touch these! Got so many ideas, I haven't even pissed off anyone with political banter in a long while!!! -LOL Got one hummin' away at my 6 as I write. Fast cycle times, short cycles means lesser dips in humidity.

I will be re-authoring the Wine Fridge Tutorial when I have the time.

Cheers! -Prof. Piggy

Been working on new controls... new ideas and building a controlled ice chest project for those who want control but no cooling in their ice chest. Dr. Frankenstein wired one of my new PLC controllers into an existing wine fridge with a lesser controller. These controls have opened so many doors! What I was using before, can't touch these! Got so many ideas, I haven't even pissed off anyone with political banter in a long while!!! -LOL Got one hummin' away at my 6 as I write. Fast cycle times, short cycles means lesser dips in humidity.

I will be re-authoring the Wine Fridge Tutorial when I have the time.

Cheers! -Prof. Piggy

I'm skeered

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631706,-87.070644

Smoking the last stick from an '04 box of Bolivar BF. it was the runt of the box; cracked wrapper, water marks. Thought I'd save it till I could repair the wrapper. Gave up waiting tonight and just grabbed it. No problems with the wrapper at all, and what's more is that it's maybe the best one of what was a fantastic box. Just pure loveliness. But sort of sad too, that I'll likely never have another '04 BBF. You know that feeling?

I'm super saddened by the passing of the greatness of the country of my citizenship (Australia) and how damn hard it's getting to have a smoke in some public place and not get lectured about how horrible my cigar is.

• Like 1