Cigar Aficionado's Top Cigars of 2011

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for Mott and Savona to take their millions of dollars and ride off into the sunset. Obviously their tastebuds are burned out. If the magazine wants to regain it's credibility, time for some new blood at the helm! :rotfl:

Drunk hot chick ... hmmm ... is that even sleeping with her?

I think it's Shanken who has the $$$. :D

I am sure all three are living a very comfortable lifestyle..

I am sure all three are living a very comfortable lifestyle..

The way they talk about making their eggs with all sorts of french words and ingredients I didn't even know existed. I think they are doing ok...

I'm probably in the minority here, but I enjoy reading the list every year. And I read the monthly reviews as well. In addition, I enjoy reading reviews on different forums and blogs. And guess what, everyone seems to have a different opinion and impression. I take the Top 25 for what it is, a list generated by a group of guys no different from you or me. There would never be a list that everyone would agree on. And while I may subjectively feel differently about some of the listings, I respect their opinion. And if I didn't respect their opinions I don't think I'd waste my time reading their list. That's why I'm always amazed at how many people who seem to hate CA, it's editors and their Top 25, year after year check out the results. If I thought something was a joke, I just don't see why I'd bother looking...

And guess what, everyone seems to have a different opinion and impression. I take the Top 25 for what it is, a list generated by a group of guys no different from you or me. There would never be a list that everyone would agree on. And while I may subjectively feel differently about some of the listings, I respect their opinion. And if I didn't respect their opinions I don't think I'd waste my time reading their list. That's why I'm always amazed at how many people who seem to hate CA, it's editors and their Top 25, year after year check out the results. If I thought something was a joke, I just don't see why I'd bother looking...

C'mon, now you're just talking common sense........

Here's Cigar Journal's Top 25 of 2011 : it's still 4 NCs before the first CC...

But I do smoke and enjoy NCs as much as CCs, to the amusement of my fellow Montreal botls nyah.gif

Finest Cigars 2011

Cigar Journal has announced its list of the Finest 25 Cigars of 2011. Full information can be found in the Winter issue of Cigar Journal and "A Taste of Cigar Journal".*

December 26, 2011. The list is made up of cigars that were rated highly in the Cigar Journal during 2011. All ratings were reviewed and the finest were selected for this special list.

The finest Cigars of 2011 are:

1)Padron Family Reserve No. 85 Maduro (Nicaragua)

2)San Lotano Oval Robusto (Nicaragua)

3)Master By Carlos Torano Churchill (Nicragua)

4)Cain Daytona 654 Torpedo (Nicaragua)

5)La Gloria Cubana Immensos (Cuba)

6)My Father Le Bijou 1922 Toro (Nicaragua)

7)Fuente Fuente OpusX Fuente Fuente (Dominican Republic)

8)Gurkha Cellar Reserve Churchill XO (Dominican Republic)

9)J. Fuego Origin Original (Honduras)

10)Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary Corona Gorda (Nicaragua)

11)Man O' War Torpedo (Nicaragua)

12)La Flor Dominicana Oscuro Natural L-500 (Dominican Republic)

13)CAO OSA Sol Lot 50 (Honduras)

14)Tatuaje The 7th Capa Especial (Nicaragua)

15)Illusione Epernay 2009 Serie L'Alpiniste (Honduras)

16)Alec Bradley Family Blend VR1 (Honduras)

17)Cain F Habano / Sun Grown 550 (Nicaragua)

18)Cohiba Behike 56 (Cuba)

19)Davidoff Puro D'Oro Momentos (Dominican Republic)

20)La Palina El Diario Robusto (Honduras)

21)Romeo Y Julieta Wide Churchills (Cuba)

22)Rocky Patel The Edge Toro Corojo (Honduras)

23)Ashton VSG Robusto (Dominican Republic)

24)Flor De Copan Linea Puros Robusto (Honduras)

25)Bolivar Belicosos Finos (Cuba)

*A Taste of Cigar Journal is a special edition of the magazine designed to be released at charity events and other special events in 2012.

The number one cigar of the year should always be based on the following question: If you could smoke only one cigar for the rest of your life from among the cigars you smoked in 2011, what would that be? I doubt AB Pensado is the answer, let alone any of the other cigars on that list.

The list is subjective guys. And the only reason I don't slam these guys more often about their selections is because Cuban's are so inconsistent it may be hard to get a good box every time to sample from. I happen to love the Mi Amor line and would happily smoke it anytime. But I just don't understand the Rocky Patel and Alec Bradley selections...

I agree, I have had some great experiences with the La Aroma De Cuba Marca, and with some other Bradley blends but definetly not the Prensado. Dont agree with the list but I feel everyone is a little harsh on CA. They are a publication out to make a profit and I find it more as entertainment or just something to read rather than take it so seriously. my2cents

We have been chatboxing at length about this all week. Love the mag and the monthly list for info only. For those of us who smoke really high end cigars this list is pure entertainment... but if you see what folks post on Facebook everyday, this does make sense.

If 99% of the cigars on the list could not be purchased that afternoon, in the local cigar shop, Americans would implode doncha think?

The rankings may or may not be objective but to a smoker it's all in the perspective. There are some very nice sticks on that list and if a smoker reads the mag and buys only those smokes they may very well enjoy them but never venture beyond what he can find in his B&M to discover there is more to life than an Alec Bradley or Padron or La Aroma, etc.

There are a few epic smokes on that list for sure but of the ones I've smoked none can match the character and depth of flavors of a Vegas Robaina, Partagas, Ramon Allones or most other Cuban marcas.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631689,-87.070651

A bit off topic but they smoke 700 cigars for this???

How do they have time to smoke what they like?

Easy when they smoke cigars that they do for reviews they barely make it past the first third of the cigar...

Easy when they smoke cigars that they do for reviews they barely make it past the first third of the cigar...

haha if you look at their video reviews, they take like 3 puffs and then say "this cigar scored 96! a classic on our rating scale!" LOL. I know alec bradely etc make some very good cigars, but classic?? no way man. But i agree with the above comments. they should at least make it an all NC list. Throwing in only 2 great cubans just adds confusion. They should do an all NC list and an all cuban list, like some other review sites i quite enjoy.

Why put cubans in there?

All cuban cigars are great, it depends on the smokers preferences.

List should be called "Best new cigars 2011" or something like that.

Time for Mott and Savona to take their millions of dollars and ride off into the sunset. Obviously their tastebuds are burned out. If the magazine wants to regain it's credibility, time for some new blood at the helm! :rotfl:

:thumbsup: Good one, NYC!

I tried the Alec Bradley Presando Churchill this past weekend . . .

This was only one cigar at one point in time, but a tasting is a tasting. My impressions were that the Presando Churchill was a very pleasant smoke. Cigar of the year material, heck no. My best cigar of the year was a tie between the Upmann No. 2 and the Monte Grand Edmundo. Both of those cigars showed twice the complexity, flavor and enjoyment factor compared to the Presando.

Smoking the Presando was like smoking a toned down version of an Oliva V Churchill or Brick House Churchill (both of which are much better than the Presando). The construction was top notch, but who really cares? Most NC's have top notch construction. I really can't pinpoint what the guys at CA found in this cigar.

I can see the scene now, guys here in the US buying boxes of these to age being the top cigar of 2011 and coming back years later to smoke hot air. The same thing happened with the Casa Magna a few years back and one guy I know just sold off his whole stock from the year it won.

I can see the scene now, guys here in the US buying boxes of these to age being the top cigar of 2011 and coming back years later to smoke hot air. The same thing happened with the Casa Magna a few years back and one guy I know just sold off his whole stock from the year it won.

Aaron. Everyone here at FOH thanks you for sacrificing your body to science for trying the Prensado. :lol:

I remember when Casa Magna was No 1. I tried to grab a couple to try. Never was able to so I find it funny that they're now available. They probably weren't that great to begin after all I guess.

While I cant comment about the number one cigar because I never tried it, the number two cigar that they rated a 95 out of 100 is laughable at best. I bought two of those LaAroma de Cuba mi Amor belicosos maybe 8 to 10 months ago. I smoked one and was very underimpressed as the first inch of the cigar left a parched feeling in the back of my throat that was very unappealing. After suffering through the first inch, the cigar started to settle down with some earthy,coffee and chocolate notes but nothing to WOW you at all. In conclusion, the second of the two cigars still sits in my humidor and even after seeing it rated so high I am not compelled to take it out and light it up. A few years ago, I could not wait to see the top 25 cigar lineup but anymore I feel that the whole cigar of the year thing is more of a worthless novelty and certainly nothing to be taken serious.