Cigar Aficionado's Top Cigars of 2011

This was only one cigar at one point in time, but a tasting is a tasting. My impressions were that the Presando Churchill was a very pleasant smoke. Cigar of the year material, heck no. My best cigar of the year was a tie between the Upmann No. 2 and the Monte Grand Edmundo. Both of those cigars showed twice the complexity, flavor and enjoyment factor compared to the Presando.

The key is that you smoked the whole cigar not just the first inch (if that)that CA smokes.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere that the reason for the disparity of NC's vs. CC's is due to the fact that the NC tobacco is aged for many years before production, but the CC tobacco is rushed due to demand, therefore it needs more age to be at it's best (unlike the NC's). Remember that all of the cigars tested in 20011 were also produced in 2011. How many 2011 CC's smoke their best ROTT?

That's what I read and if it's true, it makes perfect sense.

I read somewhere that the reason for the disparity of NC's vs. CC's is due to the fact that the NC tobacco is aged for many years before production, but the CC tobacco is rushed due to demand, therefore it needs more age to be at it's best (unlike the NC's). Remember that all of the cigars tested in 20011 were also produced in 2011. How many 2011 CC's smoke their best ROTT?

That's what I read and if it's true, it makes perfect sense.

I don't think that is completely accurate because Cuba has stockpiled years worth of tobacco since the downturn in the world economies and is using aged leave in regular production from what I have read. It may not be aged 3-5 years like EL's, but it's not right from the fields either.

I would question the editors tastes more than the age of the tobacco used.

I for one used to love reading Cigar Afficionado,but in recent years I have found it and it's general content largely irrelevant ,

A magazine that really needs to re-invent itself

OZ :cigar:

The funny thing about that list is Partagas Serie P No.2 is one of my least favorite cubans.. Then again I've only been smoking cubans for a couple of years. I used to like spice bombs, but have moved away from that ever since I started cubans. The psp2 is mainly spice without a lot of complexity to me. Many don't like the Monte No.2, but I still prefer that. I also love rascc, petite edmundos, and upmann 48.

To constrast, the PSP2 is one of my favourite CC. I find it to be highly complex with tones of cocoa, coffee and yes spices. I see the Monte No.2 as a lighter version of the PSP2.

X2

I'm probably in the minority here, but I enjoy reading the list every year. And I read the monthly reviews as well. In addition, I enjoy reading reviews on different forums and blogs. And guess what, everyone seems to have a different opinion and impression. I take the Top 25 for what it is, a list generated by a group of guys no different from you or me. There would never be a list that everyone would agree on. And while I may subjectively feel differently about some of the listings, I respect their opinion. And if I didn't respect their opinions I don't think I'd waste my time reading their list. That's why I'm always amazed at how many people who seem to hate CA, it's editors and their Top 25, year after year check out the results. If I thought something was a joke, I just don't see why I'd bother looking...

I havnt looked at ur list Mr.Savona...... :wink2:

....CA tests everything blind and when you smoke something you don't know you can be surprised at your judgment of it good, bad or indifferent. There is much more validity in these taste tests as basic scientific study. The be all end all? No. However it is the most comprehensive cigar testing out there.

Sorry, but this doesn't cut the cake for me.

Whether you taste-test a cigar blind or not, only smoking the first inch or so leaves a TON of variability and potential skewing. To the best of my knowledge, when they do these tasting sessions, CA smokes some of these back-to-back. So, an inch of a Gurka, then an inch of a Tatjuae (or however the hell it's spelt), then an inch of a Cuban Monte, then an inch of a Padron, and so on and so on. Not exactly a clean palate, nor is this scientific at all (way too many variables, and not proper "sample size" at all).

This is about the FURTHEST thing from "the most comprehensive cigar testing out there".

A friend gave me a Alec Bradley Prensado Churchill. The next nice day I'll give it a try and give my verdict . We had great weather today , but I didn't want to waste the day so I had a Bolivar Coronas Gigantes. who could blame me :wink2:

I would say the CA ratings are as valid a science you will get in tasting and rating as they do everything blind then re taste and re rate until cigars are eliminated and the top scores are tallied. CJ rates their smokes non blind and in different locations and atmospheres which lends itself to very skewed ratings and a top list of smokes. How could you not be bias when you are smoking the very product you know? I'm a subscriber for a very long time of both magazines and enjoy CJ's articles and cigar reviews as an idea as to what flavors may be present in a cigar. However I would not judge their ratings or top cigars with any merit other than a persons opinion. CA tests everything blind and when you smoke something you don't know you can be surprised at your judgment of it good, bad or indifferent. There is much more validity in these taste tests as basic scientific study. The be all end all? No. However it is the most comprehensive cigar testing out there.

As for ratings equal advert dollars, I would think a magazine who sells itself out to ads would lose all credibility and be out of business in a short amount of time. Again if they smoke blind and follow their tasting method how could they know what was what? Not to knock CJ as I enjoy their publication, although the fact they know exactly what they smoke they could easily play the ads for ratings game. For the record I don't believe they do as I would cancel my sub immediately. Cigar retailers place ads in the mag even if they get low ratings cause cigar readers read the mags! The sticks that score low still sell and make money from what I've seen as evidenced by brands like Davidoff who are expensive as hell but frequently rate low. Also with CA, Cubans rate well and they do not get a dime in advertising. If any of this makes sense it's cause I'm using logic.

Oh wow....are you employed by CA??? There is really no other logical explanation for this "less than logical" comment.

Pass the koolaid!