Have Double Corona's & A's gone the way of the Dinosaur?

I had a look at some International sale numbers on Double Corona's and A's (gran Corona's). Not pretty reading.

It certainly appears that these once cherished formats are going the way of the Dinosaur at least in terms of market demand. The fall off has been roughly since 2003 but the slide has increased pace since then.

No doubt sheer size and amount of time required to smoke them has played a great role in their demise.

Outside of the collector market....is their really any need to produce cabs of 50?

There is a dalliance with carboard 3 packs but it has been a muted response at best.

The only bright light has been Partagas Lusi's in 10's. I would like to see this expanded for 10's for each of the Double Corona Marques...but I believe they deserve timber boxes as opposed to "Dress Boxes".

Any thoughts on how to revitalize these once great formats?

Perhaps a DC sampler might spur some sales--as long as it wasn't packaged solely in cedar. All I end up re-buying are RAGs and SLR DC's (and three '08 Lusi 10'ers, so far) , simply because they are quite good (IMO) and because I have zero experience with the VR DA, Punch DC, and zero experience with recent production Hoyo DC's. I would love to be able to smoke a few of the VR, Punch, and Hoyo without springing for a whole box...as well as would love any information on how recent production of those has been smoking.

All that said, I think a venture into 10-ct packaging for all DC's would be a welcome addition, even at a slightly higher price point per stick than in bulk.

Rob with the exception of the Partagas Lusi, every Double Corona of any Marca that I have sampled has been a fraction of what they once were. I don't know if it is a change of tobacco used, or different strain of tobacco or what exactly the issue is, but all the Double Coronas with the exception of the Lusi is in my opinion a mere waist of time for my palate, little to no complexity, little to light volume of smoke, light to almost no taste for my palate.

In order to gain sales in this environment of reduced places where someone can smoke, the cigars need more "Balls", Currently, I might as well be smoking a Montecristo Open.

Please return RAG's back to their luster days!!!

Tens would do it. Sure a wood box would be great, but the ability to buy smaller quantities (ten'ers) would be the key factor for me trying many more DC's and/or A's. I agree that the available time to smoke a DC or A's is prohibitive factor in blowing through box after box, but the steeper $ for a 25/50 cab makes them harder to try than the smaller investment in say a Party Lusi 10.

My 2 Cents: offer more Tens in all large formats...regardless of box type. RAG, Esplendido, Punch DC, HdM DC, BoliCG, VR DonA...

Always excellent for after a big holiday dinner or smoker events, but unfortunately smoke time and price makes it difficult to select. A cigar for men of leasure. Perhaps target the smoker events with rock bottom pricing and samplers (already suggested).

I hardly smoke a DC anymore. The reasons, pretty much what Chuck said?

I have little interest in repackaging cigars. Putting a shitty cigar in a different box just gets you more shitty cigars in different boxes!!! I do however think that by first revitalizing the DC and reengineering it to deliver a pungent boot to the balls and then, and only then, putting them in 10x boxes so one is not to get stung with 50 lousy, huge cigars might be a good idea. The key as always is not in the repackaging... it is in once more rolling a good cigar regardless the size.

The last good DC's that I smoked were some 98 Punch DC's out of a 50 cab. These were quality, good tasting cigars. -Piggy

Not surprising. They are just too big, and who has the time. My last few attempts at smoking Double Coronas resulted in "when is this thing going to be done" thoughts. They don't keep my attention long enough to be enjoyable. Churchill is as large as I go nowadays in a large ring gauge format. Maybe if they were as good as the Hoyo DC's of the early 90's (so I've read about) it would be a different story.

I feel this size of cigar is best smoked on special occasions. The ten box is the way to go due to price etc..

Better blends for all but the Lusi would likley spark interest in the DC across the board.

My thoughts anyway...

I dunno, bring back the old blends, maybe?

I know that was an unproductive answer for your purposes, but it is the truth unfortunately. It's not about the price of a box or cab. You'll just go through them more slowly and buy them less often. The time thing isn't much of a factor either. Hell, I waste pretty much every Sunday afternoon smoking cigars at the club and watching the NFL Doubleheader. That's from 1 til 7-ish. On those occaisions I WISH there was something like the old Hoyo DC or Lusi to enjoy. Now I just slow-smoke smaller stuff. In multiples.

Bring back the old blends and they fly off your shelves.

Only thing that comes to mind has already been said: boxes of 10...

Agree.... Boxes of 10 would be best.

I myself do not have much experience with DC's other than the HDM DC's which I enjoy, However for such a cigar that is mellow it can be a long experience. B) Not that time would be the issue, but perhaps a blend that is more 'complex' now that would be great.

Prez, do you have any suggestions you can throw my way for a more complex DC? :rotfl:

I can't say much for the A - it's not a size a find appealing. Though I prefer the churchill format, making DCs more accessible would surely

help. 10s and/or 5s would make it easier to try without resorting to multiple singles. I do like the thought of wood boxes, but that's because

I'm not the biggest fan of the box press.

And I agree with Piggy that it's the quality of the cigar within the box that will bring people back for more.

Being a relative newbie on the cuban and on the DC front, I can say that 10 count boxes would affect my buying decisions across the board. I partook of a DC and Dalia sampler recently and was personally blown away by the DCs I smoked. I want more, but I don't want to commit to a box or a cab. Yes, there's a factor of time and timidity when it comes to the inconsistency of CCs. Still, from my brief experience, the potential complexity of a CC DC is so worth it, but I can't let myself buy a whole 25-count box if I'm going to be surprised (for the worst) by the quality of the smoke.

Thank you Cigar Czar for letting me experience what, in my opinion, was the ultimate perfection of a Partagas Lusitania. But, damn you Habanos SA for not ensuring that every big long smoke I buy is going to be consistent in quality and taste...

So the answer to reviving these cigars is to ban smoking bans :cowpoop:

There you go Prez, the answer to your question! :perfect10:

With smoking bans being obsolete, people WILL have the time to enjoy a DC regularly. :bsmeter:

i think the smoking ban thing has taken its toll but in caving in and not smoking DC's, we are merely selling our collective souls to the forces of darkness.

you mention international sales figures. may we ask if yours follow this trend or are you still selling reasobable numbers. you'd have to be doing well - i buy enough.

nearly pulled out an 'A' for the afl grand final but went with a 98 lusi instead. A is simply so big that they'll rarely be smoked and i understand that DC's are difficult re time. that said, i still smoke a lot of DC's, at least as a %.

still love the lusi and the SLR DC. a few others less exciting.

i find them ideal for a footy game or a long movie.

long live the DC. or perhaps we should have a 'save the DC' campaign.

Put all of the regular production DCs into 3-4-3 style boxes, like the Monte D or RA grandes. They'd sell.

That's even not a bad idea for the "specialities" question in the other thread. Do one a year and rotate them. The same style box will cut packaging costs.

Well I guess I am in the minority. I still smoke RAG, Punch DC, VR DA and Lusi. Although I admit no where near what I used to. Smoking more robusto, corona gorda, dalia, etc.

I do not smoke any "A" size cigars.

I agree with some of what has been said here about the negation of flavor. They are just too muted.

I don't really think ten count boxes are going to make much of a difference but certainly do not oppose them.

I am with you Jim, I love my VR and my Lusis, I purchased a box of VR from czar 6 months ago and it's mind blowing. Also bought a cab of 50 lusi a while ago and its' what I smoke on the weekends.

I agree that DC requires time and attention and that is why I love smoking them on a sunday arvo or evenings when i'm with the boys.

Also I agree that alot of DC are either plunged or flavours aren't as good as they used to be especially HDM DC, even some of the lusi in the cab i bought were plunged, but when they're good they are heavnily delicious.

I'll second the 3-4-3 packaging suggestion. It would allow for the "sampling" of different marcas with a reasonable cost and storage requirement.

I love smoking the Lusi's and HDM DCs (my HDMs are from '06 and I love them - can't imagine what the old, "good" blend must be like).

I think that the time/place issue is the biggest concern. If each were more readily available, I cannot imagine that the DC would continue to be near the bottom of the list. The golf course is the most popular place for my DC's, however, every once in a while, I'll take my work out to the patio and finish my day with the laptop and a DC. Time and place, time and place, time and place...

I sure hope these don't go away.

(no experience with A's, by the way)