Have Double Corona's & A's gone the way of the Dinosaur?

I suspect that much has been mentioned above, particularly anti-smoking legislation and time people have available is largely to blame.

I don't smoke many Prominentes and even fewer Gran Coronas. Honestly, they tend to bore me. This may be in part because I've seldom, if ever, smoked a well-aged example of either - my buying/aging habits tend toward smokes of less girth, and I don't often have them around.

I think that everybody loves Double Coronas or at least WANTS to love them but not many are buying and that is all that Habanos cares about. I think it's a perfect storm of the folowing that leads to the abandonment of the DC

1.) The rise of public indoor smoking bans.

2.) Along the same lines of the smoking bans, there is much more health awareness in the home. 10-15 years ago, Men were able to relax in their EZ Chair and watch a movie/football game with a cigar. The wife and children would usually ***** to a degree but the man of our father's generation would tell them to stuff it. I think this has a much larger affect on the DC than the public bans.

3.) The economy of the last couple of years. I know I can't justify spending 400 or more for 25 box of DC's when I can spend $200 for a box of robustos. Granted, qutie often, when the weather is nice, I will have two smokes instead of one so it sometimes washes out. I think smaller packaging may remedy this for some but I still look at it as spending $15 or more for a DC or $9 or $10 for a Robusto...or $4 or $5 for a PC. In fact, if I had two or three hours to smoke, I would rather have a Robusto/Corona Gorda and then a PC afterwards and would usually spend less money that way.

I smoke at least one or two DC's a week and would love to say I come away from the experience fully satisfied every time, but that is not so. I really enjoy the format for a long relaxing smoke after work, but quite often the cigar is to tame and lacking in smoke production. I would recommend juicing them up in strength and flavour. I have no problem with the present packaging at all. If I go for a box of DC's I actually prefer them in cabs of 50. I wish RAG's and Alejandros came in cabs. :hungry:

my concern would be that if the push is too much to the 10's, the cabs might go forever.

I can see that, but that's also where I think the quality of the cigars themselves come into play. Taking time constraints out of the equation,

if people are able to sample great DCs in boxes of five or ten, I would think that they'd go for boxes of twenty five or cabs of fifty when able.

Plus, we all don't make wine writer money (I still can't believe you actually get paid.....)

I can see that, but that's also where I think the quality of the cigars themselves come into play. Taking time constraints out of the equation,

if people are able to sample great DCs in boxes of five or ten, I would think that they'd go for boxes of twenty five or cabs of fifty when able.

Plus, we all don't make wine writer money (I still can't believe you actually get paid.....)

it is a view shared by the publications as well. and sadly, put into practice.

It's a different world. As I've said several times -- the DC format is ideal a round of golf. One on the front, one on the back. My favorite is still the RAG. Maybe something can be done to market to the golf world, it rather large globally.

"A's" are dead.

Good thinking I reckon. It could be called 'Front9 Back9' or 'IN & OUT. Comes in a box of two with a branded pencil, tee and cigar holder that fits to your buggy and can hold a lit DC while you're taking your shot. Also have branded rain jackets, caps etc. Hey, I'm in advertising...I can't help it!

for me

10 count boxes are the best thing to come out of cuba for years, these will increase the sales if taken across all DCs.

i smoke DC on special occaisions but agree, these are not as complex as they were some years ago.

nothing sexier than a cab of DCs, Nothing ! i like the Pre 2004 without bands better than cabs that have bands

spiro

I love to smoke DCs. The problem is many have become quite bland. The SLR DC is a great example. The 01s are powerful cigars, but nothing since then has even come close. RAGs are a little better. 02, 05 & 08 are very good, but the years in between- bland. Lusis also bland from 97 though 07. 08 shows a much needed return of strength & flavor. So for my taste, more strength & consistancy is needed. And, I've never had a plugged DC.

It's partly the time, I only smoke a DC when I have a 3 or 4 hour outside weekend project to do. For me a DC isn't practical for a weekday evening walk or grill because there isn't enogh time.

Mind you, I only smoke outside. If I smoked inside I'd be quite happy to have a DC going through the evening....

I think a 10 count would be good, because I like to have a variety without breaking the bank. Keep the cabs as well, but give us poor punters some options.

Quality? Here's how I'd rank what I have:

08 Punch DC

08 VRDA

08 SLRDC

07 RAG

08 HdMDC

08 Part Lusi

I was suprised by the Lusi, two I've had were bland and had little smoke. Maybe just need some more time?

• 3 weeks later...

I sure hope not, DCs are among my favorite smokes!

And am I the only fool on here who loves the "A" Size? Sanchos, Monte As, Cuaba Diademas....the more the better!

I do agree with the ideal that boxes of 10 would be much more cost effective and popular with the consumer, if only because the one-time investment wouldn't be such a shocker... I know the one reason I havn't gotten a box of 25 or a cab of 50 DCs yet is because the big cost.....Thank God Sanchos come in boxes of 10!

I sure hope not, DCs are among my favorite smokes!

And am I the only fool on here who loves the "A" Size? Sanchos, Monte As, Cuaba Diademas....the more the better!

I do agree with the ideal that boxes of 10 would be much more cost effective and popular with the consumer, if only because the one-time investment wouldn't be such a shocker... I know the one reason I havn't gotten a box of 25 or a cab of 50 DCs yet is because the big cost.....Thank God Sanchos come in boxes of 10!

I am actually a fan of the A format, but like eveyone else have a hard time finding the time. But when I do...they are a great companion.