Vermeer's 'Girl with a Pearl Earring'

I'm a great admirer of Vermeer's painting, Girl with a Pearl Earring. It is the image in my avatar. For me, it is the equal of DaVinci's Mona Lisa and I find her expression even more captivating. Haunting.

xl_girl_with_a_pearl_earring.jpg

And so you might imagine my chagrin when I came upon this abomination while looking for a giclée print for my home.

Anyway, do you have a favorite portrait either in paint or photo?

Wilkey

:lol::D Egads, Jimmy. Is that what hangs in your man room?

Tim, that take on Vermeer is just gross. VElvis, however, is a folk genre unto itself. :D At least that's what I tell my friends down at the firehouse.

Wilkey

PS. I thought that was bad. And then I found this.

:lol::D Egads, Jimmy. Is that what hangs in your man room?

Tim, that take on Vermeer is just gross. VElvis, however, is a folk genre unto itself. :D At least that's what I tell my friends down at the firehouse.

Wilkey

PS. I thought that was bad. And then I found this.

Jar-jar Binks!

Dali - Spring Explosive Ive had this in my home for over 10 years

Just about anything Dali or Picasso

Mostly favor non representational art-anything with interesting colors, shapes, textures

I'm a great admirer of Vermeer's painting, Girl with a Pearl Earring. It is the image in my avatar. For me, it is the equal of DaVinci's Mona Lisa and I find her expression even more captivating. Haunting.

That Vermeer is indeed a most intense and captivating portrait, an enamouring countenance...

I tend to gravitate towards Klimt (meaning, I like all of his work)... as his pieces appear to me as rich, complex, felicitous, yet serene... the one depicted below is "The Kiss", and is one of my favourites.

post-1908-1240677750.jpg

And so you might imagine my chagrin when I came upon this abomination while looking for a giclée print for my home.

Wilkey

Wilkey they changed your favorite lady from "follow me," to "ahhh, like, I mean to the mall!"

its all lowest common denominator stuff, sadly.

my faves are the extraordinary black paintings by goya - took myself across to spain to see them - plus dali and picasso. interesting they are all spanish.

the collection at the del prado is very powerful

It's pretty tough to beat Rembrandt for portraiture. This is my favorite Rembrandt, hangs in the permanent collection of the MMOA, NYC. While not technically a portrait, it is one hell of a picture.

http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/coll...001835&vT=1

Another vote for a Vermeer painting.

The reproductions of these paintings are usually poor, this one especially so. When I saw this painting in person it was really sort of shocking, it was so vivid, it was like being in that environment with that women! I think it's in Amsterdam, definitely worth seeking out.

vermeer-milkmaid.jpg

Not sure if the Renoir "Dance at Bougival" is considered a portrait, but it's one of my fav's, partly because it's home is the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. To those of you who love art, the "MFA" is a must see. It's a truly incredible museum and the depth of its collection is astounding.

post-1533-1240792538.jpg

In terms of a definitive portrait, one of my favorites has to be Gilbert Stuart's George Washington which has resided in the White House since the early 1800's.

post-1533-1240792781.jpg

Wilkey

Hi Wilkey here is our favorite Hangs in our dinning area

It is called The Music Lesson by Lord Frederic Leighton

Cheers

Steve

Oz :clap:

That Vermeer is indeed a most intense and captivating portrait, an enamouring countenance...

I tend to gravitate towards Klimt (meaning, I like all of his work)... as his pieces appear to me as rich, complex, felicitous, yet serene... the one depicted below is "The Kiss", and is one of my favourites.

I'm with Zuma, I don't think I've ever seen a Klimt I didn't like although he can make your Mum blush...

Wilkey,

The Sunday Washington Post had an article it about Vermeer's Girl with Earring. Here's quick quote from the article and there was a number of views of the painting, first link if it works. The article is the second link.

You love Vermeer's "Girl With a Pearl Earring." But what do you really know about it? What is it -- who is it -- that you're really seeing there, beyond the surface of the paint?

David Stork knows. He's been through Vermeer's looking glass and seen the other side. He's floated beside the painting's beauty and he's ridden its light, Tinker Bell-style, as it flashes on her pearl, then bounces from cheek to nose to liquid eyes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?nav=hcmodule

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9042402232.html

One of the most inspirational paintings in my life hangs in Verkamp's curio shop near the El Tovar Lodge at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Ever since I was a small child that portrait of the canyon has repersented the essence and the canyons inner beauty in a single moment, sunset and twilight.

I have spent countless days and weeks on the rim by the river and many points in between and this painting started my dreaming...

Evening- Grand Canyon by Louis Akin

post-3731-1240848271.jpg

My most favorite painting that still captivates me with Its atmosphere is "Allegory of Vanity"

by the French painter of the Baroque Era,Trophime Bigot, 1579-1650, born in Arles,

in the south of France. It hangs in my smoking room.

post-3705-1240859258.jpg

:clap: