Let's talk about watches...

I wore this Sekio bullhead chrono for a few days while my AP was in for the 6 mo service. I picked it up in a pawnshop about 20 years ago for next to nothing. I have worn it quite a bit and it shows. It needs a proper bracelet and a general service and I have been too lazy to set the date. It brings a smile to my face every time I wear it. I have a weakness for the older Sekios

3A1789FF-07BB-42D5-B23E-60114B3995B1.jpeg

• Like 2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

This is one of my off the beaten path finds. Tom Gref Oceanic 300m dive watch. Heavy stainless construction. ETA movement with some in house finishing. Sapphire crystal and display back. They sell for around a grand new but I picked this one up for 600. My watch repair guy speaks very highly of them. I have worn this one as my beater for the last 10+ years hunting, fishing,yard work, you name it. It’s a very nice watch and deserves better treatment. You can pick these up cheap if you spend some time looking around. Mine keeps perfect time and performs like a champ

CA4A229A-305C-4751-9D00-671498DD5863.jpeg

Looking for a true rubber style beater watch G Shock type style. Subjected to mud sand water fertilizer getting smacked around by tree limbs and generally beat to hell.  Need something with bright luminous properties. Tree clearing and planting. Budget 400.00 maybe 500.00. I have zero knowledge in this segment of watches. Suggestions appreciated

1 hour ago, Winchester21 said:

Looking for a true rubber style beater watch G Shock type style. Subjected to mud sand water fertilizer getting smacked around by tree limbs and generally beat to hell.  Need something with bright luminous properties. Tree clearing and planting. Budget 400.00 maybe 500.00. I have zero knowledge in this segment of watches. Suggestions appreciated

Easy. Mudman G-9000-1V. Mud and dust resistant, 200m water resistance, dual illuminator, low temp resistance (-20C), resin band. Or you can get the Mudman G-9300-1 which adds a compass, temp gauge and solar charging. If you need rust resistance, look at the Gulfman.

Mudman G-9000-1V

Mudman.jpg.e4e4e00b61b5c66dde74edc49dd37a45.jpg

Mudman G-9300-1

5a7a7ba809693_MudmanSolar.jpg.c4523ba52fcf4d078a301b454d8655fe.jpg

I have a much older G Shock (late 90's model) that I've bashed around for years. It's taken direct hits on the mineral glass from paintballs at close range, been dropped off the roof, smacked into pallet racking, accidentally sat on by my lard arse cousin and all I've done is just changed the battery.  Takes a licking, still keeps ticking.

5a7a7c5aac6be_GShock.png.581600e1be5227be5d23fc1684b9b232.png

• Like 2

Love watches glad to see so many other do as well. I'm a little knewer to the watch game right now, but my everyday watch is a GShock Rangeman love it for work because I sometimes am rough on things at work do its perfect for that, but the watch I wear outside of work is a Tag Huer Carrera Calibre 5 with a blue face. I'll try to post up pics later maybe.

I have been thinking of converting my everyday work watch to a Hamilton Khaki but am not sure if it'll hold up to abuse like I sometimes put things through at work. Anyone have any experience with the Hamilton Khaki watch?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Love Pateks sold my cal to buy another watch and regret it. After I satisfy my list for APs I plan on another Patek either a Nautilus or an aquanaut 

On 2/6/2018 at 11:15 PM, Fuzz said:

Easy. Mudman G-9000-1V. Mud and dust resistant, 200m water resistance, dual illuminator, low temp resistance (-20C), resin band. Or you can get the Mudman G-9300-1 which adds a compass, temp gauge and solar charging. If you need rust resistance, look at the Gulfman.

Mudman G-9000-1V

Mudman.jpg.e4e4e00b61b5c66dde74edc49dd37a45.jpg

Mudman G-9300-1

5a7a7ba809693_MudmanSolar.jpg.c4523ba52fcf4d078a301b454d8655fe.jpg

I have a much older G Shock (late 90's model) that I've bashed around for years. It's taken direct hits on the mineral glass from paintballs at close range, been dropped off the roof, smacked into pallet racking, accidentally sat on by my lard arse cousin and all I've done is just changed the battery.  Takes a licking, still keeps ticking.

5a7a7c5aac6be_GShock.png.581600e1be5227be5d23fc1684b9b232.png

Thanks man exactly what I needed to know. I’m off to the races

So I've just finished the four available seasons of the show Peaky Blinders and their (not so) subliminal focus on pocket watches has really sparked my interest.  I'm looking for a silver, open faced, mechanical pocket watch with a relatively standard face.  Nothing flashy, and nothing that will break the bank. 

Any suggestions on make, model, brand?  I was going to go through all previous posts to see if this has been covered, but figured watch enthusiasts never really get tired about talking about watches. 

6 hours ago, bnasse9900 said:

So I've just finished the four available seasons of the show Peaky Blinders and their (not so) subliminal focus on pocket watches has really sparked my interest.  I'm looking for a silver, open faced, mechanical pocket watch with a relatively standard face.  Nothing flashy, and nothing that will break the bank. 

Any suggestions on make, model, brand?  I was going to go through all previous posts to see if this has been covered, but figured watch enthusiasts never really get tired about talking about watches. 

Not sure where you are based, so availability may be an issue.  

On the whole, it seems to me you might want to look at US railroad watches.  They were built to a high standard of accuracy (if they weren't, trains would crash), have a highly legible dial and often come in silver.  Brands to look for: Waltham, Howard, Hamilton, Ball, Elgin.  They were produced in large quantities so are still comparatively affordable and spare parts for repair are widely available.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bnasse9900 said:

A watchmaker friend of mine loves pocket watches. He speaks highly of the older IWC models. You can pick them up for anywhere from 300-5000 depending on what you want. Check E bay and the usual watch sites. Here is a nice silver one for sale on E-bay

91AFFE59-598E-4B93-928B-2A18F23B13ED.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I pulled the trigger on this one last night

mudmaster gg10001a5     224.00 on Amazon  pretty cool watch for not much cash

A854945E-FE4C-4F61-BBA8-23BD56816FBF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 10:22 PM, timberguy87 said:

Seiko (reissue) Turtle. Fell in love with it after seeing it on Martin Sheen’s wrist in Apocalypse Now.  My first automatic. Only had it a few days, but i’m diggin’ it so far! 

805890F9-B946-4B03-91A5-7D8869958172.jpeg

Love those old sekios

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

I just picked up a 4 watch winder to house my watches.

That’s next on my list Need something that accepts 4 Six would be nicer

Just be careful with the watch winders gents.  It's better to just let the watch stop than put the wear and tear on all the mechanical parts.  I would not recommend using a winder for an extended period of time.  (long time Swiss and Japanese watch collector)

• Thanks 1

The question of whether a watch winder is harmful to an automatic watch has been bandied around forever (even watchmakers can't agree). IMO, as long as you aren't using a cheap winder that spins all day long, then it shouldn't harm an automatic movement. I set my winder to the longest interval between spin cycles (10 minutes bi-directional winding with 3 hours rest). And if you're like me who has several watches, but due to work cannot wear them during the day, winders are good for a grab and go when heading out.

They are also good if you have multiple complications that need to be reset if the watch stops. And for most automatics, you can't overwind them. A watch winder shouldn't be used to "charge up" a watch, so to speak, but maintain the power level that it had when going in.

In the end, it really comes down to personal preference. I won't tell you that you should use or need a watch winder, just that I am comfortable using one and have never had a problem.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nvrp813 said:

Just be careful with the watch winders gents.  It's better to just let the watch stop than put the wear and tear on all the mechanical parts.  I would not recommend using a winder for an extended period of time.  (long time Swiss and Japanese watch collector)

That may be true, but it also effectively means that some watches will get a lot more wrist time than others.  Winding and setting a time-only watch takes a few seconds -- doing the same with a moon-phase or calendar can be a right pain in the posterior.  

• JohnS changed the title to Let's talk about watches...