Tennis GOAT...

Been waiting for the final proof of his GOAT status... and here it is... not too far from what happened in some of his playing days, I suspect :D

Of course, not even close in most people's conversation as to the GOAT, but he's got my vote. All the antics aside, one of the more uniquely gifted players ever... so good to watch... that serve!... at the net... incredible list of career titles and only men's player still to be no.1 in Singles & Doubles simultaneously. And I think still the highest combined total of titles in the Open era. 

Not too shabby, eh? :cigar:

Did you hate or love McEnroe? Who's your GOAT? 

• Like 1

I always thought McEnroe was a prick. I also think Djokovich is an odious prick.

I would love to say Rafa was the goat. But think that's bias on my part.  Over 3 sets Djokovich is the Goat, over 5 it's Rafa.  

• Like 1

I have to say I like him alot more now then when he was playing. I enjoy his commentary as well. As a child I remember getting a laugh out of him and thinking who is this crazy guy throwing full blowen tantrums.  

My goat for his composure and the way he held himself on and off the court Federer. So beautiful to watch. I wish Nadal would have played AFL football his relentless attack and ferocity on every point and never give up attitude is so amazing.  Not really a tennis fan but have great admiration for Nadal and Federer.  Cool post BTW Moe.

• Like 1

Johnny Mac was the greatest entertainer on the courts. Classic matches when he played Lendl and went on and on about Communists. Plus he did it with a wooden racket half the size of today's rackets. John 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Anna Kournikova

stood next to her once. i thought you'd find three dozen of her on any aussie beach every day. and they wouldn't talk to me either. 

if you will forgive what might appear a national bias, as much as one loved Sampras, rafa, admired Federer and even Djokovic, very hard to go past rod laver. the comment about wooden rackets a good one. 

over 200 titles i believe - about twice that of Federer. 198 of them singles titles, plus doubles plus endless davis cup wins, back when davis cup was as big as a slam. yes, different eras but no one can help the era in which they played and no doubt today's stars will cop the same criticism in years to come. but there were plenty of incredible players around when laver played - have a look at ken rosewall's record for one.

laver - nearly 400 weeks at number 1. other than don budge in the 30s, laver is the only man to win the grand slam. and he did it twice. with a gap of about 8 years when he was ineligible. given that he turned professional after winning the grand slam (and 22 tournaments in total) in 1962 and then was not allowed to compete in them again until the open era arrived in late 60s, when he immediately won the grand slam again in 1969, the only man to do so in the modern era - something fed, rafa, Djokovic etc have been unable to do - who knows how many more he would have won in that period when he was out - and no surprise he dominated the world professional circuit during those years. it is like wondering what Ali would have won had he not been banned for those lost years. one critic noted he won 11 of the 16 grand slam tournaments in his prime. he was then banned from the age of 23 to 28. take those years out of any of the great and see where their records sit. and yet won more when he returned. he was a truly great player.

look at players like him, rosewall, emerson and so many more and today, Australia has the human mudslide kryios. has there been a greater comedown in history. 

for women, you could almost say that margaret court, even if she is a religious fruitbat, has an even more dominant record than laver. serena willaims pretty close. 

• Like 1