Kirby in Cuba

10 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

This is exactly how I feel. He’s become insufferable, even though his old videos on stuff like shoe care are still where I refer people who need a tutorial.

Yup, this is how I first discovered him. My dress shoe care is heavily based on things I learned from him. I wish he would get back to make videos like these, ones with some substance. 

12 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

Can someone explain which loophole or exemption he is using to film a vacation in Cuba? I guess he is classing this as a documentary? 

I post videos of my vacations to Cuba on Youtube. My channel only has like 5 videos and a couple hundred views, so not quite at Kirby's level. CBP could care less if you go to/from Cuba every week. The part of the government that does care (theoretically) is OFAC (Office of Foreign Asset Control), they had roughly 200 employees last time I checked and they are responsible for enforcing all of the Embargo's that the US maintains, world wide. Cuba has to be damn near the bottom of their list. Only 1 person has been convicted for travelling to Cuba since 2000, 1, single individual. Out of hundreds of thousands, maybe millions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry this popped up. Only fair to add here! 🤭

To my mind, anyone who produces content for our hobby should be celebrated. Well....if that content is accurate. Now the content may not be to our personal taste but it doesn't really matter. God

Well...I only watched the episode where he had good guests. In his last video with the Sahakians in Cuba, he is showing them a BGM, a Bolivar DC and a Behike. Needless to say he smoked the Behike and

6 hours ago, westg said:

I don't know folks. Yes he is a little pedestrian in his delivery, that said, he is definitely not targeting people in FOH land. I admire anyone who submits cigar videos for the world to see. I wish I could do it, I really do. Let's not forget he is mixing it up with some heavy hitters in the cigar world. I just hope he is paying his way...to me, the fellow in the Partagas shop looked like he wanted him out. 

Sounds like he was invited by H&F - he probably helps drum up some free business for the London cigar merchants and in the current climate I’m sure any help is appreciated. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

To my mind, anyone who produces content for our hobby should be celebrated. Well....if that content is accurate.

Now the content may not be to our personal taste but it doesn't really matter. God knows, our own videos are despised by many :D

Vive la difference! :party:

I don't believe anyone would despised FOG videos. I learn how to light up a cigar from FOH video, thanks to Ken, not from the Sahakian or any other. Make it simple and just light up the goddamn cigar 🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

To my mind, anyone who produces content for our hobby should be celebrated. Well....if that content is accurate.

Now the content may not be to our personal taste but it doesn't really matter. God knows, our own videos are despised by many :D

I stand corrected Prez, he is a true scholar and a gentleman! ( *bellend)

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

May be despised by some Pres, but you and Ken aren’t wankers 

• Haha 1

He stands so close! Everyones a gentleman. Everyhtings dandy.

He's learned the wave the cigar around while lighting... lol (sorry lol)

"I really much look forward to adding uh to my new walk-in humidor uh so there we..." lol makes me cringe. I dunno.

I appreciate some of the content. I don't love the delivery--it's stiff and ungenuine. It usually feels like he is trying to prove something or is already thinking about what he wants to say rather than listening to the actual answer of the person he is talking to and riffing off of that. I think that is part of what rubs me wrong. Not saying I'd be doing much better. 

That said, I do enjoy a good suit, blazer, etc. Maybe he does go overboard in the stuff, but it's also part of the branding. If taking pride in how you look a lot of the time makes you a bellend, then I guess I am one. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jakebarnes said:

If taking pride in how you look a lot of the time makes you a bellend, then I guess I am one. 

@jakebarnesWearing Khakis and a Red shirt is far from being a bellend JakefromStateBarnes

• Like 1

I dunno…he likes to wear a suit. I don’t mind wearing em, but I don’t own a full wardrobe of them that I can afford to replace or keep maintained properly to feel comfortable smoking a cigar and potentially burning holes into them (or shirt or ties). That said a good well fitting suit and shirt and tie combo should be comfortable and with the jacket off even downright easy to relax in.

And he’s probably playing a character of sorts and if it makes him money, meh, the market for what he portrays. Shit, people buy lambos and other junk that you can’t really use in any pedestrian setting and wear expensive jewelry that cost like a 10th of the cost to make as what it sold for.

Don’t forget, we’re all interested in cigars that are way overpriced for what they are.

• Like 1

Pros: I like him bringing attention to smaller, artisanal companies when he does.

Cons: Pretty much everything else. I dislike all of the airs and forced behavioral nonsense that he goes through in order to "look" the part of a gentleman. He's what I imagine would occur if you trained an AI robot to be a gentleman. "Bellend" is a perfect descriptor for him. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

....I thought you were just watching the Raiders

Different type of convulsing. One is to get my point across, the other sends my dinner across.

• Haha 3

He’s interested in many of the things I like but comes at it from a slightly (ehm) different perspective. Good that he highlights these hobbies but can’t help feel  (as an Englishman) he is trying for some kind of Dick Van Dyke/ Bertie Wooster American TV influenced aristocrat persona that died out here before the First World War. Believe me London (and in particular anywhere outside) does not have many like him…..

Showed the first minutes of the cigar keep episode from above to my wife. Told her, look and just tell me what you think, without me commenting...

She watched with interest and eventually came up with “he seems to be a nice, knowledgeable guy”...

Jeepers, THAT got me thinking! :hole:

• Haha 3