Kirby in Cuba

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

Showed the first minutes of the cigar keep episode from above to my wife. Told her, look and just tell me what you think, without me commenting...

She watched with interest and eventually came up with “he seems to be a nice, knowledgeable guy”...

Jeepers, THAT got me thinking! :hole:

Well, it's obvious! We, are not the target audience!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry this popped up. Only fair to add here! 🤭

To my mind, anyone who produces content for our hobby should be celebrated. Well....if that content is accurate. Now the content may not be to our personal taste but it doesn't really matter. God

Well...I only watched the episode where he had good guests. In his last video with the Sahakians in Cuba, he is showing them a BGM, a Bolivar DC and a Behike. Needless to say he smoked the Behike and

On 12/19/2023 at 7:15 AM, Lunettesman said:

Well...I only watched the episode where he had good guests. In his last video with the Sahakians in Cuba, he is showing them a BGM, a Bolivar DC and a Behike. Needless to say he smoked the Behike and didn't offer any cigars to them. Edward clearly wanted the BGM while Eddie was in love for the DC. Classless act. The tip of the iceberg is when he drops a huge ash on the floor and barely blinked. 

The lack of offering or sharing cigars in that video and just boasting about what he had did make me wince considering how much hospitality he’s received himself but then figured it may have been scripted this way and he’s given them some stuff off screen. I’d hope so anyhow.

He may be a real personable guy in real life and just goes hard plastic on camera. I figure I’d struggle if it were me on screen. 

I also then wondered if I should shoot him an email requesting he do a quality craftsmanship and tradition video with the bidet makers of Japan. Lordy, I need sleep. 

I quite like the guy, TBH. Yes, there are some faux pas, but he's from a different culture. Texas and old-money London must be vastly different. We have a proponent of Cuban tobacco, with 700k followers. Surely he's the one laughing (to the bank)? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

On 12/19/2023 at 7:15 AM, Lunettesman said:
Well...I only watched the episode where he had good guests. In his last video with the Sahakians in Cuba, he is showing them a BGM, a Bolivar DC and a Behike. Needless to say he smoked the Behike and didn't offer any cigars to them. Edward clearly wanted the BGM while Eddie was in love for the DC. Classless act. The tip of the iceberg is when he drops a huge ash on the floor and barely blinked. 

I thought the same thing. Instead of asking what should I smoke I would have offered Edward then Eddie their choice of cigar even though I recall Edward was on the tail end of a cigar already. No class with that move.

rushman

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

At 12:50 Kirby asks the production manager about the Cohiba fermentation process and the guy answers its a secret I cant tell, I might be getting this wrong, but the same guy took another group to the fermentation room where the leaves are placed in oak barrels?!. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PuroDiario said:

He is a tool sure, but this is a public character at the end of the day. I don’t understand the hating so much, who cares if he has no clue of cigars or acts stupid? I find it quite snobby for the most part; both some/most of his content, most if not all of the comments here (with love and respect for all FOH members goes without saying). Isn’t it good he is promoting and advocating cigars enjoyment even if the wrong reasons and many times the wrong approach, even if he has no clue about cigars generally? Everyone was a non expert at some point, he makes a living of pretending to be an expert publicly though. Who cares? From another angle he is a self made dude (I am assuming), building an independent business and likely paying a good number of W2s or the like, and putting out somewhat quality content for a niche audience that indisputably enjoy it…less hating and more appreciation in 2024!

As many people have pointed out on this thread (including myself) his endeavour as standard deserved praise and respect. That said, there is nothing wrong with suggesting areas in which he maybe misguided, or hitting bum notes.  

My overarching comment is, I would just wish he would do what he wants to do, void of ass kissing or asking which is the correct salad fork. Or what is the right hat to wear to Lords. It's like torture watching someone idolise people who are absolute self serving scumbags. 

That's the point. He is better than the people he is desperate to ass kiss. He just needs to realise that and cut loose.

The quality and work ethic of his output 100%. The originality and likeability is 0%.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, LizardGizmo said:

Danilo described the fermentation process to us in detail which we discussed on Episode 76 and we will be sure to ask more questions when we interview him at Laguito in a few weeks.

If anyone has any other questions or info they'd like to learn or hear about from Danilo, please let me know!

I'd like to know his thoughts on a certain seller who sells unbanded sticks aquired directly from "El Laguito" :thumbsup:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MontepetiteMan said:

I have watched all of Kirby's cigar episodes and he doesn't come across as a tool at all. I do believe he has a passion for cigars. Don't know why he's getting hate from this forum.

Pretty much my take as well.  It appears that he's trying to gain knowledge. I don't really see him presenting himself as a cigar expert. He may portray himself as a style or fashion expert and I certainly can't ever criticize someone for that based on my lack of both.  😁

• Like 4

Much like cigar reviews on here, half will like him and half won't.

• Like 1