Kirby in Cuba

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry this popped up. Only fair to add here! 🤭

To my mind, anyone who produces content for our hobby should be celebrated. Well....if that content is accurate. Now the content may not be to our personal taste but it doesn't really matter. God

Well...I only watched the episode where he had good guests. In his last video with the Sahakians in Cuba, he is showing them a BGM, a Bolivar DC and a Behike. Needless to say he smoked the Behike and

1 hour ago, MrFolgers said:

For the lot that don’t like him, they sure do spend a lot of time 

In my defense I tend to yap on a lot of threads. Pretty sure Kirby Allison couldn't care less what I think of him. Which is good because as you can see... 🔔 ...

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It may not be to your taste, however, Kudos (if grudging in some cases) should be given. 

The Sahakians seem to like the guy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

It's refreshing to see there are still gentlemen like Kirby in this world 😀.  Perhaps some dudes are insecure and mad because of the way Kirby carries himself.

If anyone looks at that dude and feels insecure they are total soyboys

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

One thing everyone seems to completely gloss over is the production process for the 75% of Cohiba that aren't rolled at EL. EL is a TINY factory. Two rolling galleries, neither of which is ever full. They might be able to pump out 10 or 15% of the volume that La Corona does. People tour all the Havana factories on a regular basis, yet not one frame of video or photographic evidence has ever emerged of the mythical Oak Barrels or "4th fermentation" room at any of these factories. Because they don't exist. 

So, while I agree with many that EL is the premier factory in Cuba, I disagree that the premium level starts and stops at the Cohibas rolled there. 

When we were told of the magical twenty-one day fourth fermentation process, I certainly didn't believe it could have any impact on the tobacco in such a short period of time. Even if there is a secret room somewhere in a warehouse, which - like you - I don't believe exists, the volume couldn't be handled by those barrels nor do I think it would accomplish much. I think that room on the tour is purely for show. I will push Danilo on this when I see him and try to extract the truth to the best of my ability - even if it's only alluded to - and we can poke holes in it here.

If we are to believe that Laguito is getting the finest tobacco for Cohiba and the other cigars they roll there, and they are responsible for providing materials to all the other factories who roll Cohiba/Trinidad, it's certainly not being done in this room, and as you said, likely not at all.

3 minutes ago, VeguerosMAN said:

If Cohiba is getting the finest tobacco then why do they even make Cohiba shorts and other mini machine made cigarettes?   Doesn't make any sense to me. 

They waste nothing. Every scrap of usable tobacco is put into a sellable product one way or another. Cigarettes are also a whole other segment of tobacco consumers they reach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

So in a sense these scraps from long fillers are "superior" in quality than any other marcas since they are supposed to get the best quality of leaves. 

Short filler Cuban products have almost nothing to do with the premium long filler products and are not produced at the same facilities. When I said they waste no usable tobacco, I mean island-wide which is collected and is used in machined production at a later time, alongside a variety of other sources.

1 hour ago, VeguerosMAN said:

You are assuming. Why do you think he's not being himself? The question is, would you hang out with a guy like Kirby? 

Hell I'll hang out with anyone once. But if I have the choice I'm picking the Sahakians or that Freeman gal.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LizardGizmo said:

Short filler Cuban products have almost nothing to do with the premium long filler products and are not produced at the same facilities. When I said they waste no usable tobacco, I mean island-wide which is collected and is used in machined production at a later time, alongside a variety of other sources.

Bingo! The below photo is also from EL, but I have seen similar at other factories. Its hard to see from the photo, but there are TONS of stems mixed in with the scraps. I would hope they either sort it or use this stuff mostly for cigarettes. I will say that on more than one occasion I've gotten a wicked nicotine buzz from Trini shorts, so maybe they just leave the stems in there. 

IMG_9690.JPG.e3d565f42b328ad8eb08deebd1e599f4.JPG

8 hours ago, VeguerosMAN said:

So Cohiba short filler machine cigars don't use Cohiba long filler scraps, right?

None of the short filler cigars use scraps from a particular brand. In a single rolling gallery, the rollers could be rolling half a dozen Marcas/Vitolas at the same time. One roller could be rolling COROs, the roller or row next to them might be rolling Partagas P2s, the next over from them could be rolling Monte 4s. It just depends on what tobaccos and the quantities of each the the master blender has to work with. At the end of the shift, they just gather all that scrap tobacco up and put it in burlap sacks to be moved to the MM cigar factories. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fugu said:

That said, in my opinion, and as far as my understanding goes, said extra step (of variable duration, and only done in Seco and Ligero) is more like an extra period of rest and ‘melding’, a very mild fermentation at best, in barrels (or better put “barrel-like” containers). At some point, tobacco will eventually be “outfermented”.

Yeah, I tend to agree here. I think it might just be a bit of a translation or definition difference. You could theoretically ferment the tobacco a hundred times, but at some point it just turns into compost. More isn't always better. People have been fermenting tobacco for what, 150 years now? I know every producer has their preferred temps, humidities and length of time for each step, but I think the range in each category is smaller than we realize. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:33 PM, PigFish said:

I’d smoke with you brother! 

Anytime my man!

4 hours ago, LLC said:

I thought the last Cuba video with the El Laguito factory tour was one of the best videos of that factory tour I’ve seen.

Still not watching it. It's got to that stage now.

Anything to do with access?