Cuban Factory Codes (2003 – Current) PDF

4 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:
As stated above I see no reason there would be a blend difference between factories.

My comment is strictly related to quality control. I do not want to pay $85 for a CoRo out of a provincial that I am not certain has the same level of QC that Laguito does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I promised this document a long time ago in another thread and I finally found the time to finish it. The various source material we found was very difficult to read. I will continue to iterate on err

Version 1.3 is here with several corrections and a notable addition! UME - a very prominent code in 2014/2015 - has finally made its first appearance. Took me awhile to figure out which provincial fac

I haven’t gotten any concrete information yet, but I’m anticipating new codes will be coming in very soon. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed after festival week. I’ll be in Havana in a few weeks

3 hours ago, LizardGizmo said:

My comment is strictly related to quality control. I do not want to pay $85 for a CoRo out of a provincial that I am not certain has the same level of QC that Laguito does.

I can appreciate that. I'm not sure what the likelihood is that a given non-EL factory will produce a lower standard of construction than EL but I suppose there is a chance. As I said, however, the problem is finding EL Cohiba. I'd estimate maybe only 5% of all CoRo is and probably 4 out of 5 boxes from any provincial are going to be perfectly fine. 

11 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

There's no mandate that Esplendidos come exclusively from EL.

Exactly (and even Lanceros have been made elsewhere, though rare instances). But that has neither been my point. I tried to address the fact that, for a certain period, you would even see Espléndidos having been rolled exclusively outside EL, no parallel production from the mother factory then (as far as I was able to verify). So, the alleged “only true coming from EL” wouldn’t hold much water for one of the hallmark Cohibas back then. That was widely meant in support of your stance that the leaf and blend between factories are aimed to be maintained identical.

That said, there are certain provincial factories doing a tremendous job. So much so that I would not hesitate to even pick them out.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 1:08 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

I can appreciate that. I'm not sure what the likelihood is that a given non-EL factory will produce a lower standard of construction than EL but I suppose there is a chance

Agreed. I don't typically chase EL codes, and for some cigars, non-EL has been all that's available and I've not noticed much of a difference between EL and others.  I find the box code sheet to be very interesting because it shows a number of my favorite boxes were rolled at a provincial factory.  Meanwhile, perhaps my most troublesome box of Cohiba is a box of CCE from EL -- REG ABR 18 (I think). Everything from blend to construction has been disappointing too frequently.  But the 2019 UAO Siglo II boxes -- amazing.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nocoins said:

perhaps my most troublesome box of Cohiba is a box of CCE from EL -- REG ABR 18 (I think)

REG was Camajuani, VC. 

I can't ever recall seeing CCE coming from EL. It's extraordinarily rare. Probably has happened but since I've been paying attention the last 15 years I've never seen any. 

Interestingly quite a bit of BHK had REG codes at that time as well. 

• Like 1

Indeed! Either I always assumed REG was an EL code because of the BHKs and never bothered really to read top line of the chart, or I switched MEG to REG in my mind's eye.  

Another box of CCE I have is that rare EL CCE -- LBT ENE 10, PSP from the glorious days of LFTW.  If we need pictures to confirm for the integrity of the chart, I can provide.

6 minutes ago, ChangBang said:

You know how I know you didn't look at the first post or attached pdf 🙄

I’ve seen about 15 pdfs scouring google which claimed to be from this site and couldn’t find it.  Presumed this pdf was that. Just check it out now, and it’s a lot more extensive. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

On 1/22/2024 at 2:56 PM, LizardGizmo said:

Exactly. El Lag Cohibas have proven over the years to be the best of the best...it's the history, the top-flight Torceadors, etc. I'd never buy CoRo or CoLa not from EL, why gamble on provincial when you can have the holy grail?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 12:48 PM, LizardGizmo said:

Unfortunately I was asked to not share this piece on the interview we recorded this week.

This begs the question, what else was asked to be removed from the interview?

5 hours ago, cl0udmaster said:
This begs the question, what else was asked to be removed from the interview?

Only thing I asked about that was off-limits for him was anything relating to production at other factories. He was only willing to talk about his own work at his factory - which seemed very fair to me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2024 at 9:15 AM, LizardGizmo said:

It was confirmed by one of my lizard compadres yesterday in Havana that box codes have not changed yet since the last update. I was surprised as it’s certainly due anytime now.

I have dreading the day! We have spoiled with how long these factory codes have been running.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, LizardGizmo said:

Also - $261.60 for a box of fundies...I wish I had a crystal ball :rolleyes:

Yeah, there must be a lot that feel the same 😮‍💨

I've come across the 2015 Coprova (french distributor for Habanos) price list and I cried 🥲

• Like 1
  • Sad 1