Tinned Fish - Who's Into It?

BrightonCorgi

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

A fans for tinned fish?  Sardines, Mackerel, Octopus???  Which brands and products do you fancy the most?

always keep some sardines and tuna handy. anchovies. not so much mackerel and octopus - not sure i have ever seen tinned octopus here. mussels, smoked oysters, herring - in much more minor quantities. 

so yes, definitely a fan. 

not locked to any brand - olagagasti pretty good. plenty of others. the basic coles tuna not bad. 

i did this on anchovies so you are definitely preaching to the converted.

https://quillandpad.com/2022/08/14/in-praise-of-anchovies-if-you-dont-already-love-them-you-just-havent-yet-discovered-how-good-they-can-be-reprise/

• Like 2

Yup. Fans here. Tins and packs. Salted, pickled. Wife does the food shopping so leave the choice to her. Always a selection in the cupboard, pic. Varies. I don't do muscles types. Octopus crab in tins we do less so. 

PXL_20230422_083335363.jpg.e6d7c9f42e0a549e86a9a029a0e00866.jpg

• Like 2

Yup, Jewish pickled Herring rollmops., and especially 'Forshmak' that gets made with it.  see recipe attached. 

Cantabrian Anchovies,  love Ventresca tinned tuna.  Spanish tinned monkfish liver (Hidalgo de Rape)  is nice if you can get it. It's a big like a seafood version of foie gras.  very rich and creamy, and nice to have on good bread. 

I avoid tinned mussels, sea urchin, oysters, etc like the plague.   these things are meant to be fresh

Olasagasti_Anchovies_Hansa_LR.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 10.46.00.jpg

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, 99call said:

???? you'll have to expound

From your Jewish video recipe and "I avoid tinned mussels, sea urchin, oysters, etc like the plague." I thought you may keep Kosher which "treif" is a reference for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrightonCorgi said:

From your Jewish video recipe and "I avoid tinned mussels, sea urchin, oysters, etc like the plague." I thought you may keep Kosher which "treif" is a reference for.

I'm not Jewish,  I grew up near a fantastic Polish/Jewish deli/bakery in Manchester called The Barbakan.  And they used to make this "Herring Salad" as we used to call it.

I believe it was set up by Polish WW11 refugee's and I still remember that as a child the old Polish men and women used to be able to go to the till and get free bread and food.   It was great days there was so much love in the community for them,    Sadly, with everything that is going on over the last 10 to 15 years feels like it's moving backwards.   My community growing up, were Windrush Wast Indians, Polish, Pakistani, etc etc.    We all lived in each others pockets.   Now the poison Rupert Murdock has injected into society, has ruined all that.    So bloody sad

On 4/22/2023 at 11:08 PM, 99call said:

I'm not Jewish,  I grew up near a fantastic Polish/Jewish deli/bakery in Manchester called The Barbakan.  And they used to make this "Herring Salad" as we used to call it.

I believe it was set up by Polish WW11 refugee's and I still remember that as a child the old Polish men and women used to be able to go to the till and get free bread and food.   It was great days there was so much love in the community for them,    Sadly, with everything that is going on over the last 10 to 15 years feels like it's moving backwards.   My community growing up, were Windrush Wast Indians, Polish, Pakistani, etc etc.    We all lived in each others pockets.   Now the poison Rupert Murdock has injected into society, has ruined all that.    So bloody sad

there is a great deal for which rupert can be blamed (not sure how he ends up in a thread on tinned fish), but there was serious, perhaps even far worse, racism around long before rupert used it to make money. if you need an example, people forget that not all Britain was 100% opposed to Hitler in the early days. we had the white Australia policy before rupert was even born. so many more examples. plenty of examples in countries where rupert has no influence. none of that excuses him for his actions but it is ridiculous to put the blame on him in this way. 

I eat quite a bit of tinned fish. Tuna, sardines mostly but also smoked oysters and mussels. While I love fresh anchovies and marinated anchovies from the deli most, I usually have jarred anchovies but sometimes tinned. I use the latter on a platter or in a beef slow cooked stew to add saltiness with a depth of flavour. I find the bigger sardines more to my liking so I choose Portugese style sardines from the Supermarket. You get 3 big fat sardines in a normal size tin.

• Like 1

Tinned fish at the local supermarket is in different sections.  In the International section, Goya and Portuguese brands in one aisle.  The big names like King Oscar etc, are in another.

On 4/25/2023 at 2:47 AM, Ken Gargett said:

there is a great deal for which rupert can be blamed (not sure how he ends up in a thread on tinned fish), but there was serious, perhaps even far worse, racism around long before rupert used it to make money. if you need an example, people forget that not all Britain was 100% opposed to Hitler in the early days. we had the white Australia policy before rupert was even born. so many more examples. plenty of examples in countries where rupert has no influence. none of that excuses him for his actions but it is ridiculous to put the blame on him in this way. 

On 4/26/2023 at 8:32 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

Wasn't sure how Rupert Murdock has to do with tinned fish either.   No society has been all saints since there's been societies.  Just the way it is.

You have my apologies gents,  I agree politics has little to do will pilchards.  Fond memories of food and community had made me go off on a tangent. 

I do not however change my conviction that an evil media mogul who does little other than sow division through his outlets......has something to do with the division we see in society. The fringe ideas he pushes, constantly take hold, and have (in my opinion) a massively negative affect on society. 

Although my initial post started off with happy memories about the way things were when I grew up, the fact that is no longer that way i.e. cohesive, happy, trusting, accepting,.....made me rueful and angry.    Thats the last i'll say

but.......yeah!  pilchards.....not a fan

8 hours ago, 99call said:

I do not however change my conviction that an evil media mogul who does little other than sow division through his outlets......has something to do with the division we see in society. The fringe ideas he pushes, constantly take hold, and have (in my opinion) a massively negative affect on society.

Social media pushes division the most.  It's easy to change the channel, but much harder give up/turn off social media.  Social media is adaptive.   Can spread division, market to, & push narratives to each user uniquely.  It wasn't until the advent of social media platforms like Facebook that we've ever seen such division on a global scale. 

Wait until deep fakes are the norm and AI generated personas are more popular and trusted vs. real people on TV.       

This store is a little bit of a drive, but we go once a year for a Sunday drive.  Anyone familiar with some of the selections?

https://portugaliamarketplace.com/collections/sardines

• Like 1

Yeah. I like tinned sea foods. Great for quick snacks with good bread. Practical for fishing trips. There's a lot of snobbery around sea critters in cans but quality (and price) can be high.

I like Portugese brands best; my trusted fave being the Tricana brand. Their mackerel filets in spicy tomato sauce has no peers. Smoked mussels from Galicia are another hot pick. I tend to prefer olive oil than other lesser oils.

IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0238.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the worst supply shortages from COVID was they stopped making Rolled Anchovies in Olive Oil! Couldn’t find them anywhere. Perfect midnight snack.

Never have less than a dozen cans of tuna on hand, but that may be a habit from decades of the spring “Hurricane prep”.

B66F0F8C-1BF5-452D-9EB1-F68868D4C9B8.jpeg

D5F412A7-2567-499D-8CA6-B2D035B86B7C.jpeg

C4BBD513-7244-4B97-9366-529B0F8499CA.jpeg

• Like 1

I have been into the brand Natural Catch for Tuna filets...I am a fisherman myself and love fresh Walleye that I catch and filet myself. This tuna is way beyond what I find in stores. Their spicy chile tuna is so good. I buy in bulk on the 24 can plan when on sale. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 10:22 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

Tinned fish at the local supermarket is in different sections.  In the International section, Goya and Portuguese brands in one aisle.  The big names like King Oscar etc, are in another.

I like Sole Mare sardines, Portugese style. They are in the supermarket and the deli here in Melbourne. Cheers. I have also purchased whole frozen sardines and mackerral and tried to do stuffed BBQ sardines but the freezing process made them too soggy. I reckon if I try it again, I'll defrost the sardines then pat dry with paper towel and salt them then put them in the fridge overnight to dry out a little, maybe butterflied skin side up. Only drawback is I think they'd stink the fridge out. I've recently discovered from watching some chefs on Youtube that fresh fish should not be put directly on ice because the fresh water quickly activates decay, bacteria etc. Better off in a plastic sandwich bag then on ice then pat dry and in fridge skin side up for 12/24 hours. Won't go off that way and makes the skin super crispy if pan frying in oil. Unfortunately, most store bought fish has been exposed to ice/fresh water. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've dabbled a bit with tinned fish, and while it's not entirely my jam, I've found sardines to be a nice quick snack, especially with some lemon juice squeezed over.

Someone recommended I try the King Oscar sardines that are in olive oil and told me that these ones are the best and the most luxurious choice. I wouldn't say I liked the taste, maybe because of the olive oil. Regarding luxury, yes, they are 36$ per pack of 12.

My favorite ones are the Costco sardines from Season Brand. The taste is pretty simple, and they taste great with lemon juice. The price is quite affordable, 10$ for a 6-pack.

• 1 month later...

Century Tuna Fish- All flavors, Calamansi, Adobo, Spicy

Ligo Sardines in Tomato and chili

Ligo California Squid in Ink

Of course shrimp paste

Variety of dried fish in a vacuum sealed bag

Vigo Mussels

Ocean Prince Smoked Oysters with Red Chili 

Ekone Oyster Co. Smoked Oysters (and Mussels)

Geisha Smoked Oysters

• 3 months later...

Probably a little late to the party, but, yes, I like tinned fish. Sort of..

IMG_20240108_140321913.jpg

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to Tinned Fish - Who's Into It?