Deep Dive: Fonseca Number 1

El Presidente

Fonseca Number 1  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fonseca Number 1 

The Fonseca Number 1 is a polarising cigar with two distinct camps. You are either locked in tight to it's soft marshmallow goodness or you are in the next suburb throwing rocks. ;)

I love them now.....but there was a time when I scratched my head. Did the cigar change or did I? 

Fonseca Number 1 

• Do you like  Fonseca Number 1
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a  Fonseca Number 1
  • Do the poll!

Let's talk  Fonseca Number 1  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

Fonseca Number 1 HQ MAR 21.jpg

• Thanks 1

I love this cigar but the new price regime will undoubtedly eventually ruin what it represents to me, which is a quality easy smoking stick at a no nonsense price. I got some of the 2014 on offer from 2424 a while back, and have a few other boxes of 2018 stock rotating. Love them all. The 2014 might have gone over the hill from the 2018 stock, so I'm burning them while the burning's good. This cigar used to legitimately make you sit up and say "wow, and only 6 bucks!" Used to....

• Like 3

Yep. The F1 was my first CC - way back in the late 90s. I’ve loved it ever since, but perhaps more for sentimental reasons. Just shy of medium, light in body and not terribly complex but delivers on those floral, baking spice, and bread notes. For me it also represented a cheap-n-cheerful, but in that great Cazadores/Lonsdale format. Currently smoking through 3 boxes (‘14, 15 & 17) but I doubt many on this forum have gone deep on this one. I get it though.

37553588-8E03-4841-AB00-FEE6DD8EA1EC.jpeg.8838dd41ac823a56c200fc78f2cd6775.jpeg

• Like 3

I have 2 boxes from 2018 and they are waaay too floral. Like grandmas perfume. Almost unsmokable. I got a six pack of 2019 and they were amazing. Very sweet and tasted like roasted marshmallow. I loved that six pack. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When they have a creamy texture, and are floral or marshmallow-like in nature then they can be heaven. On the other hand, a number of us know what it's like to smoke a Fonseca No.1 that was so bland that you thought you were sucking on a dowel stick.

7da88a71-f008-4e6c-a08e-674c271bda20_1.5ddd0ef3d766c97a1de29316f6aa7baf.jpeg.88078488f17f891e5baa6489ef85666e.jpeg

• Haha 4

For me, the predominant flavors are incense and marshmallow.  One of my favorite cigars.  The one's from like 20-25 years ago were not as good as last decade or so.  Really epic and unique cigar for me.  The ash is really white and clean.  Must be a unique blend with the Fonseca.

• Like 2

I smoked a box of those 14s . I got the marshmallow thing. Pleasant cigar if a bit mild for my tastes.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, foursite12 said:

Godawful. It's possible that this hideous cigar might actually taste better if they used the ridiculous paper sheath as part of the blend.

I gave one to a guy who lit it with the paper on. He was pretty drunk though. 

• Haha 2

I definitely get this one. I love the floral notes and soft cream flavors that are present throughout this cigar. One of the things I like most about this cigar is how different is from so many other cigars. It is a refreshing journey to light up one of these and not have the pepper, earth, and cocoa notes present in so many other marcas. Probably not in my top 5, but a refreshing change of pace cigar for sure. 

• Like 3

On 3/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, MrBirdman said:

Are we sure this is still being made?

I believe 2020 production exists and possibly 21 as well. All I've seen in Cuba in the last year were much older boxes. 

These and the SPNP are in that discontinued nebulous zone. 

7 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

All I've seen in Cuba in the last year were much older boxes. 

These and the SPNP are in that discontinued nebulous zone. 

That’s why I asked - all I seem to see are pre-2019 boxes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...