Reading the Room

Taking a Temperature Reading   

207 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was in San Diego the other day at this cool and groovy cafe having brunch. At the table next to us were three gentlemen. Two were tanned and normal looking golfing type guys. One was a dark haired giant fellow who looked like he was on the Sopranos. They were talking about which places were selling cigars. Not to buy them. As agents who sell them, like marketing sales guys. My ears were glued.

I was staring at them I guess so I smiled and told them I loved what they were talking about! A few minutes later we were all chatting together and they thought my love for Cuban cigars was entertaining. Big fellow was the marketing fellow for Cohiba Red dot, Ghurka, Fuente Macanudo, yadda yadda yadda. 

“And by the way, you know beaver, Cubans have not been Cuban in 20 years so just enjoy anything you want.”

And that was just the other day. 

CB

• Like 4

Cohiba, Monte, RyJ, Partagas … the First Growth chateaux. Upmann to make the five complete. Trinidads the Romanee Conti. Who are drinking these daily? (The s650s)

My bet is the Aussie wines (Nudies) will become daily drinkers. 😊 Looking forward to the Canonazos!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Fortunately, that was the only box I saw sell all week

I was also hearing about crazy demand for Casildas. I hadn't even thought about them. I thought the last of them had been bought up a year or two ago. I guess they'd been making them again. I hadn't even realized they were on the price list and I thought they must still be at the old price of $1,600 or something. Then I checked it and saw $8,034 and almost needed a diaper. I just checked on BR and three sold in the last 60 days for $4,000, $4,400 & $5,300. And people are buying in Cuba for $8,000? What the hell is going on?

So we have Casildas at $334/stick and anyone thinks the GR Esplendidos won't be $1,000? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I guess they'd been making them again.

I have a feeling these boxes had been sitting around for a while waiting on a "special" buyer. Their sale the Sunday before the first festival in 3 years was not coincidental. I also saw a couple more "build your own master case" situations at another well travelled shop. Two Boxes of BHK 56, some Herederos, a couple boxes of the new Juan Lopez Seleccion Especial (I have to admit, these boxes are very attractive to the touch and eye), and that was just the top layer. A lot of this stuff had been piling up in backrooms for the last 3 years and is only seeing the light of day this week. 

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

So we have Casildas at $334/stick and anyone thinks the GR Esplendidos won't be $1,000? :rolleyes:

Yeah, HSA would be stupid not to list them for $2k a stick, with the limited numbers, they're already sold out at that price. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

some Herederos

That's the first I've heard they've been released. Would have been nice to get one at the welcome event. :rolleyes:

I know the few JL SE and LGC Glorias floating around this week have late 22 codes so they weren't holding those. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

They were sitting inches from my shoulder as I smoked a $5 Double Robusto. Two full Master Cases. Now, I don't know what country he was from, but he was speaking Mandarin and his driver loaded the boxes into the back of a Chinese Embassy tagged S650. So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

a mule or an ultra-rich. those boxes will be thrown in a diplomatic pouch and shipped back to China. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

That's the first I've heard they've been released. Would have been nice to get one at the welcome event. :rolleyes:

I know the few JL SE and LGC Glorias floating around this week have late 22 codes so they weren't holding those. 

A lot of what I saw had late 22 codes. Even just regular production wise. I wasn't able to grab photos of any Escaprates (terrible light, only a cell phone camera), but I took a quick stop by La Corona last Tuesday as everyone was finishing up for the day.(they get a sweet school bus instead of the local bus system) I've never seen so many rolled cigars in one place. The cigars should only need a couple weeks to dry out, some at La Corona have been in there for 6 months now, just waiting on boxes/bands/packaging. 

The "La Corona Express":

20230221_151250.jpg.6f7c45adaae0dc2c7c3e3c5d4a4f27ce.jpg

20230221_151322.jpg.073242c023717fb336a054f67d0537bd.jpg

20230221_150459.jpg.8fb947975c34a3a08d5cd20db90dc2b9.jpg

• Like 2

Pretty much done. The cost and QC issues are not worth it for me anymore. I am here in the states and luckily my upbringing in this hobby has been new world cigars. And there are plenty of great cigars coming out of Nicaragua and the DR that I enjoy equally regarding flavors and don't have to deal with aging, plugs and inconsistencies.  

• Like 1

Yellow school buses from Quebec,  Canada in the early 2000's there are/were a couple hundred of these on Cuba's roads. They were distributed to both the long distance carriers and the city transit agencies, so you'll see them everywhere. After 10 or so years they expire for Quebec school use and are just about worthless. 

• Like 4

Roughly 30% "ish" of Habanos client base disenfranchised.  Keep in mind, this was by design. 

Can anyone tell me of a similar brutal corporate retail repositioning? :thinking:

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 9:38 AM, Hammer Smokin' said:

I would look at those numbers as 3 out of 4 have moved on. 75% is much different than 30%.

Can't see that it in the poll numbers nor in practice (retail ground floor).  Some have quit, most are cutting back by mixing in NC, significant number haven't moved the needle in terms of change at all.

(Of course, assuming "Moved on" means "never purchase again.)

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Roughlty 30% "ish" of Habanos client base disenfranchised.  Keep in mind, this was by design. 

Can anyone tell me of a similar brutal  corporate retail repositioning? :thinking:

New Coke?

• Haha 2

It sucks but with lockdown over and travel opening up again, my cigar habit has gone down considerably.  Will smoke what I have then will have to reevaluate what I plan on keeping in stock.  The price increases has mostly just stopped me from trying anything new or splurging on a way too expensive box now(Siglo III). 

Actually kind of looking forward to consolidating stock I've accumulated - I'm using 2 wine fridges as my main humidors and it would be nice to actually put wine into one of them haha

• Like 3

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Roughly 30% "ish" of Habanos client base disenfranchised.  Keep in mind, this was by design. 

Can anyone tell me of a similar brutal corporate retail repositioning? :thinking:

The first thing that came to mind was the numerous instances of racial/cultural genocide in the 20th century, both East and West. Never turns out to plan, though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Can't see that it in the poll numbers nor in practice (retail ground floor).  Some have quit, most are cutting back by mixing in NC, significant number haven't moved the needle in terms of change at all.

(of course, assuming "Moved on" means "never purchase again)

Of course. We’re a prime example. Taxes went up and up and up. Shook the weak from the tree. But the majority kept on putting the money down. This is no different. The weak will be one side of the water. The strong on the other side will pick up the slack easily.