Deep Dive: Montecristo Double Edmundo

El Presidente

Montecristo Double Edmundo   

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This Robusto Extra (50 × 155 mm) has claims to being the best of all Montecristo. If I had seen a few more in 2022 it would have pushed for top 3 in our best of 2022 poll. They have been that good. 

• Do you like Montecristo Double Edmundo 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Montecristo Double Edmundo 
  • Do the poll!

Montecristo Double Edmundo   :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Montecristo Double Edmundo PSP.jpg

My favorite larger Monte (although the Wide Edmundo is poised to take its place). The No. 5 is always near and dear to my heart.

Richer than the Edmundos and more refined than the PE. 19-22 production has been extremely consistent box to box and cigar to cigar. Very reliable. 

I do prefer the blend of the PE but they are just too inconsistent and unreliable. 

• Like 2

Doesn't have the complexity of the superior regularly Edmundo, but it is a wonderful cigar. I would always reach for the regular edmundo unless I was looking for the extra smoke time. Though since the regular edmundo is cheaper, more complex and richer, I rarely purchase these cigars.   I enjoy all 3.  I put the double in the #2 spot, though the PE is a close third. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, joeypots said:

When the DE came out there were a lot of bad reviews but about 5 years ago that changed

Absolutely correct. I did not like the DE at all until around 2018. The first few years they were really mediocre. Scared me away until I happened to revisit them around 2018 with very low expectations and I was really shocked by the improvement. I thought it was a fluke but I kept trying them and they kept delivering right through to today. They earned a spot in my regular rotation around 2019. That's around the time I dropped the PE out of my rotation as they were becoming far too inconsistent and have remained so to this day. 

However the WE is so good it might bump the DE out of my rotation. I'll be in Cuba next month so I'm hoping to grab some as I don't see any WE available except at a few vendors for much too high of a price. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Absolutely correct. I did not like the DE at all until around 2018. The first few years they were really mediocre. Scared me away until I happened to revisit them around 2018 with very low expectations and I was really shocked by the improvement. I thought it was a fluke but I kept trying them and they kept delivering right through to today. They earned a spot in my regular rotation around 2019. That's around the time I dropped the PE out of my rotation as they were becoming far too inconsistent and have remained so to this day. 

However the WE is so good it might bump the DE out of my rotation. I'll be in Cuba next month so I'm hoping to grab some as I don't see any WE available except at a few shops for much too high of a price. 

What is current price of WE 10 cts in Havana?

My favorite Montecristo and one of my favorite cigars overall. As others have said, didn’t care for them on release but came to love them later on. The best ones I’ve had were ones with at least 5 years on them. Though recent production (2018 onwards) has been great without age. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KCCubano said:

What is current price of WE 10 cts in Havana?

No idea. I only saw one single at one shop in Oct and they gave it to me so I didn't even get a price. Tijuana has them at $40 each so no help. 

They will be $19.20 in 4 weeks but I should be there before the new prices hit. I plan on grabbing quite a few boxes if available so I'll let you know. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Like many larger CC this cigar can be outstanding or really disappointing.

I choose them really carefully now as their price point is nearly the same as the Lusis'...