Deep Dive: Bolivar Corona Junior

El Presidente

Bolivar Corona Junior   

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deep Dive: Bolivar Corona Junior 

I have always found the Bolivar Corona Junior to be a fantastic cigar that never received the respect due. You can make that argument for most minuto/perla out of Cuba. 

The Bolivar Corona Junior is a medium full flavour explosion from the first puff and doesn't let up at any stage. There is no time for a story/journey. It knows your time together is relatively short in cigar terms and it doesn't disrespect you by pissing around. ;)

Bolivar Corona Junior 

• Do you like  Bolivar Corona Junior 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a  Bolivar Corona Junior 
  • Do the poll!

Let's talk Bolivar Corona Junior   :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

Bolivar Corona Junior PSP NOV 19.jpg

• Haha 1

I'm going through a box that is definitely full of flavour. I'm loving them for that, plus they're taking me about an hour to smoke, leaving plenty on the palate.

I agree, under-rated amongst the Habanos minutos/perlas.

• Like 2

The BCJ has been a staple in my cabinet along with Shorts and RASCC for two decades. Seems to me the older examples had a bit more of a dried fruit profile than current production. Could be just my aged palate? Medium full when young. Always considered them a great value at older price points. 

• Like 2

Yup, I got nothing more to add, all been said basically. Fantastic cigar. A staple. A value. Am always smoking from a selection of different boxes. Often surprisingly complex and even though short, they can take you on a journey if you’re taking your time. A tiny giant.

That being said, although the vast majority comes out of FPG they may suffer from the occasional uneven bunching.

Edit: As for point 5, there isn’t a true “peak” period I could define for them. They are different, but always nice, young or aged.

• Like 1

Among my staples, particularly in winter or when I have an hour or less. 
hitting the big three minutos this week, party, Boli and RASCC. Each has a time and a place for me. Boli is the boldest in many regards. Holds its own w cask strength browns. 
will always have a few boxes of Bolis Cj, but I tend to hand out mort party shorts to the casual cigar smoker tgat drops by. The CJ is not as approachable in my view for the six sticks a year crowd. 

• Like 1

Love them, the richness that’s packed into these little guys is amazing. I too see them as a great value. My favorite pairing with these is a heavily peated Islay.
As far as age, I voted 1-3 years. But they’re good at any age, really. Smoke time is usually around 40 mins for me.

As with all Boli's, the MSU 19's are a legend waiting to happen.

• Like 1

I get it -- I was excited to see the deep dive voting.  The Boli CJ (along with the PC) are staples in my collection.  From the very first box I bought - I love them and started immediately stocking up. Currently, 11 boxes in the Boli CJ section.  

Fully agree with @Chas.Alpha, the MSU-19's are so far the stars - I have 5 boxes of MSU-19's - have already smoked through a full box and half way through the next.  I have one MSU-AGO-18 box that is an A**-Kicker.  After smoking a few of those I put it away for a longer rest (I think it will be a star in 2 to 3 more years).  The MSU-19's are just rich, smooth, leather, coffee, earth with a hint of sweetness (much like you get on a few maduros).  Kept going and collected another 6 boxes of TUA from DIC-20 through MAR-21's.  I hope those continue this great taste trend - by the time I get to them the TUA-20's should be 5+ years old.

A Boli CJ lasts about 45 minutes if its between 7 and 8 grams.  This is one of my cigars where a little under-filled doesn't kill the experience - just slow way down.  Some of the heavyweights > 8 through 11 grams last longer then an hour and usually have the richest flavors.  For me the flavors are remarkably consistent - it's just the richness of some is better than others.  That's why it's a reliable go to cigar.

In writing this I was looking at my spreadsheet - wow, wish we could all find these at the prices I payed back in '19 and '20. Remember the 2-box deals!  I'm thankful for this forum because I remember reading many, many posts of members talking about great past cigars and wishing they bought more.  I've used this lesson-learned with my wife many times (as you'd guess- she didn't buy the logic) - however, your great advice seems to have paid off with my Boli CJ inventory -- Many Thanks !!!

• Like 3