Deep Dive: Quai d'Orsay 54

El Presidente

Quai d'Orsay 54   

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quai d'Orsay 54 

Occasionally Habanos hits one out of the park. They did it with the Quai d'Orsay 54 which has been an international success from day one. 

Let me be the devil's advocate. The only slight criticism I would raise is that there could be a more defined personality.  It is a very good cigar. Is it great however?  Over to you :D

Quai d'Orsay 54 

• Do you like Quai d'Orsay 54 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Quai d'Orsay 54 
  • Do the poll!

Let's talk Quai d'Orsay 54    :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

Quai D'Orsay 54 (25) CL FEB 20.jpg

• JohnS changed the title to Deep Dive: Quai d'Orsay 54

I have a couple of 2020 10 cts. Not a huge fan of the flavor profile. Loved the old QdO's but seems current production have undergone a blend change. I recall reading the OR of QdO 50/54 utiilized a better and higher quality leaf than what is being used today. No idea if any truth to it as never bought any from that period. 

Love them and the 50. Probably my best track record for % of “wow” moments with a cigar and even the 50 wind tunnels when sipped have been stellar. I’m more of a hoyo/Cohiba guy vs bolivar if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took me a few years to really get QDO, I'm come full circle.  Not a fan of the 50s, as they are always flat to me- I think they get lower tier leaf, but that's pure speculation.

The 54 & CC blend seems so much more complex. Despite my general hate for 54rg, I really enjoy smoking them.

• Like 1

I just don't get this blend. Not a bad cigar, just not in my wheelhouse... way too light for me and a somewhat bland flavour profile. I will agree, the larger RG does help blend. The QD54 is a better smoke than the QD50.

I have lots of friends who love the QD marca, but I have yet to try one that caused me to want to reach for another.

• Like 1

I don't get the 54. I love the CC and the 50 though. I don't really think the ring gauge helps this blend much and have found them to be hot air tunnels with minimal personality. On the other side, I've found that at the 3ish year mark, my 50s have become beautiful, with a honey sweetness and brioche. 

• Like 3

To me the 54 is quite a bit better than the 50, the 50 sometimes just feels like a regular smooth smoke where as the 54 feels a bit more special and pleasurable to enjoy, never buying the 50 again, only 54 for me.

• Like 2

The last few 54s I've had were much different to me than the original release. The original 50 and 54 definitely had that really prominent brioche and honeycomb thing going on. I haven't had a 50 recently but these latest 54s taste much more like a PSE2 or Connie B with a little of that QdO straight honey sweetness. I like them but not a cigar I would buy. 

• Like 1

I prefer the 50 but that is down more to RG than anything. QdO is frustratingly inconsistent in my experience. When it’s on and with some age it’s as good as most Trini - but I’m smoking one right now from a box that has been incredibly hit and miss. Construction is fine - they all look fantastic - but they’re half bitter turds. 

• Like 1