Deep Dive: Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion Number 4

El Presidente

Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion Number 4   

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deep Dive: Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion Number 4 

I am an unabashed fan of this cigar. Others just scratch their heads. 

I have found that you need to get the right rosado wrapper....that reddish wrapper that looks like the best of PDR soil.  Cherry, rosewater and anise spring from that wrapper and the rest of the cigar simply unfolds. 

Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion Number 4 

• Do you like Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion Number 4 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion Number 4 
  • Do the poll!

Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion Number 4 :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Romeo Y Julieta Exhibicion Number 4 PSP JUN 20.jpg

They age wonderfully without question.  Was looking for a box to replace one I finished a while back.  Ended up going with Picadores instead since no one I do business with had the R&J's.  

I love them, and I need to restock. However, I want to try the Short Churchill also to see if I maybe prefer them. I hear the Short Churchills are more chocolate flavored. I love the Exhibicion Number 4 for the cherry and rosewater flavors, so maybe I should stick with them instead? 

• Like 1

Definitely completely wrapper colour dependent for me, more so than any other cuban. An oily rosado has been my guarantee of the really strong cherry flavour, which I love. Without this I find them a bit bland with a touch of coffee and not much more. When you get a good one, wow.

• Like 1

It's honestly been too long since I've visited the Ex4. Part of the reason I got the robusto sampler Prez put out with the Famosos, Picadores, and Ex4--to revisit a few I haven't in a bit. Looking forward to it given everyone's sentiments here!

One of my favourites ( the signature cherry profile) and most consistent in the marca. 

Have had a consistent supply over the years which has outclassed its bigger brother the Churchill.

Would definitely maintain and repeat

Ex4 are in my rotation.  Love them. Maybe not as frequent as a RASS.  I’m a little torn on whether the Short Churchill is better or worse.  The blend in the SC seems to be amped up a bit but just doesn’t seem to be as balanced.  I need to try the SCs with more time on them I think to make a better judgement.  The Ex4s to me are a bit more refined, a bit more classic.  I love the RJC, I think they are underrated by those who lived through the horror that was in the late 2000s through most of the 2010s.  The Ex 4 is a close blend to the RJC, and to me that’s a good thing.

I guess I'm one of 2 people that don't get it.  I was going to post a review during the RyJ competition but my pictures erred when attempting to upload them so I just said forget it (think the pic files were too big).

Anyways they've always been average - maybe hints of cherry but that could just be because I'm looking for it.  Otherwise I only get a wood and tobacco flavor from them.  Got em from here - OER JUN 20 PSP HQ -> so I'd expect the wrapper to be the desired shade in order to get that most out of the cigar.  Only above average attribute is that they are really smooth!  I can retro the whole cigar without any discomfort at all. 

6 hours ago, ChangBang said:

I was going to post a review during the RyJ competition but my pictures erred when attempting to upload them so I just said forget it (think the pic files were too big).

Or it could have been in the .heic format. If so, converting to .jpg will do the trick.

6 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

I am starting to wonder if there is some sort of response bias in these surveys. Seems that the I get It crowd is almost always more than the 2/3 split seen in most other essay comparisons. 

Getting it is different than liking it, although getting it is a prerequisite for liking it I suppose. I totally get the Ex 4 but I'm not a fan as opposed to a cigar like the PSP2 that I do not get and, ipso facto, do not like. 

So you're always going to see more "I get it" than positive responses. A lot of those are I get it but don't like it. 

6 hours ago, ChangBang said:

Anyways they've always been average

Yes, since 2003 they have been. Before that they were one of my favorite cigars. Now, I would put them in the category of high floor, low ceiling cigars. Probably the most down-the-middle RyJ there is. 

7 hours ago, mprach024 said:

I’m a little torn on whether the Short Churchill is better or worse

The SC is all over the place. Wildly inconsistent in my experience. As opposed to the Ex 4 is has a higher ceiling and lower floor, and mostly it's closer to the floor. The Ex 4 is infinitely more consistent. But once in a while you'll get a very tasty SC. However I've had some god awful SC. Not so for the Ex 4. 

Love them. Great size, great flavour. Working my way through a couple of ‘13/‘14 boxes.
I’ve been smoking these since ’04 and haven’t noticed much change. The biggest change is I used to smoke in bars but now you can’t so I smoke outside, which has changed the experience significantly.
I bought a ‘16 box in Cuba in ‘18 without opening and checking. Almost every cigar was like a piece of Swiss cheese. Holier than the pope. Trying to smoke that box was like a crash course in playing the flute. Light wrappers but actually very tasty. All other boxes I’ve smoked have been rosado.

Liked the Exh3 too but found it a bit less consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk