Deep Dive: Montecristo Petit Edmundo

El Presidente

Montecristo Petit Edmundo  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deep Dive: Montecristo Petit Edmundo

Montecristo Petit Edmundo is the leading Petit Robusto in terms of global sales by a country mile. Daylight second. 

The Petit Edmundo is your "everyman" cigar. Is that a criticism?....no. It is a cigar that has Montecristo DNA to it's core. 

Montecristo Petit Edmundo. 

• Do you like Montecristo Petit Edmundo
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Montecristo Petit Edmundo?
  • Do the poll!

Montecristo Petit Edmundo :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Montecristo Petit Edmundo HQ  MAY 20.jpg

• Like 4

These have been amazing young lately. I've really been enjoying them a lot in the recent weeks and have a box that came from our host that smells like coffee grounds and cocoa are lining the box. Had a beautiful PE as a nightcap on Saturday night.

20220910_235247.jpg

• Like 2

I've been going through a number of Monte PEs of late, mostly aged but some fresh. Very different with some time down but I don't mind both.

I wouldn't think you'd need more than 3 to 5 years as the poll suggests to enjoy them at their peak.

I concur with @Tstew75, there are better Montecristo options but the Monte PE delivers and is fine for what it is. That's why it's so much in-demand and sells so well.

• Like 2

A cigar I always like to have in my rotation. Yes, they can have some construction and consistency issues. At their best they are a treat. Strong and rich milk chocolate. When balanced it's probably the best in it's class. When it's not it's a wild little ride. 

Unfortunately the recent price hikes have put them into the poor value category IMO. At $10 they were doable for me. At $15 not so much. 

• Like 1

-No, I do not like the MPE.

-It’s the worst short robusto HSA makes. The LFDC Elegidos is leagues better, and that’s made with scraps.

-No. It didn’t taste like Montecristo when it came out, nor does it now so no change. Not in boxes or pacas. 

-Not sure. I’ve never been able to finish one. They tend to get very acrid very fast, no matter how slowly I smoke them. Truly disgusting and a bad representation of Montecristo.

These are great during Northern Hemisphere winters when it is f-ing freezing and one wants to condense smoking pleasure to 30 to 40 mins in the purist form . A more respectable alternaive to mainlining crack...🤭

On 9/13/2022 at 7:47 AM, 99call said:

An enigma, one of those cigars that when released, the non-believers (myself included) were screaming 'bullshit!' and we were all wrong.    The cigar is powerful, but also opulent. a chocolate bomb, but not one dimensional. If I had to rate current standard montes it would be:

1= Monte Especial

2= Monte 2

3= Monte Espe 2

4= Monte Petit Edmundo

5= Monte no 3

Ranking favourite MCs would make a great thread. My all time favourite is probably the MC2 and I've had better experience with the 1s over the MEs.

I think box age can be a huge variable. For example young Monte DE doesn't fly off the shelves and get spoken about in hallowed terms. Yet the 2017s I picked up from Rob in a 10 box (PCC purchases of Spanish stock) are really elegant subtle yet complex smokes.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 10:27 AM, Fugu said:

Not for me. Short smoke Monte? Give me a No. 5, time and again...

Can't even compare. The Monte 5 is a stalwart little trooper. The PE is a temperamental bugger. Higher ceiling, lower floor. And at current prices it's a poor value based on failure rate which is frustratingly high. 

When you get a good run of PE you're like wow, these are really fantastic. Then you spend a year and 3 boxes trying to chase that run. I'm pretty much over that. I'll stick with Monte 5 and DE which does not have those issues. 

9 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Can't even compare. The Monte 5 is a stalwart little trooper.

Absolutely! And might agree with all that you say, but smoked too few PEs to really come up with a fair judgement. The few I had didn’t wow me and never justified the price. Quite like @Carrie Nation put it, I’d rather reach for a TC Favoritos... :P

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 6:14 PM, williamthewolf said:

The Monte PE is hands down in my top 3 favourite cigars at the moment. Not much else satisfies like the richness the PE brings. I have a short attention span as well so the 35-45 min smoke it provides is my sweet spot. 

You're absolutely right, Sir.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Have been slowly smoking thru a couple of PSP ‘21 boxes of PE. With 2 years on them now, they’ve improved and have become delicious cocoa, coffee, touch of cream, and somewhat rich. They hint towards DE more so than towards M1 and 3 (which I also enjoy). Not as good/rich as DE, but at current prices and time required to smoke DEs, the PE has its place for me.

I’m tempted to buy more PE, but have read from others here that consistency is an issue. How have the ‘23s been?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don't really get this Edmundo line except the DE (which has to be carefully selected). 

I'd have a Monte 1 or 2 before any Edmundo, to be honest I guess the PE doesn't provide that much for the price...