Help - Gifted cigars transported in wet paper towels

Hey BOTLs and SOTLs. was recently gifted a couple sticks from a client who apparently receives sticks periodically from his client but doesn't smoke himself. Received them today and to my dismay found them in a ziplock bag wrapped in damp paper towels. Are these salvageable? Unsure how long they've been in these towels but from the amount of staining in the paper towels as well as the damage to the wrappers, Id imagine a few days minimum. 

Put these in my dry box for now but trying to figure out how to slowly bring these down and hopefully have a decent smoke out of them at some point. 

B89A0C86-2B3B-4200-AE64-7171D485786A.jpeg

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, jonahs_whale said:

I was wondering that. haven't had a chance to really inspect them because they were soaking wet. what's the give away?

If you have an inventory of good cigars I would toss them in the trash and move on. Genuine or not, they look nasty and are not worth your time. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jonahs_whale said:

I was wondering that. haven't had a chance to really inspect them because they were soaking wet. what's the give away?

Two rows of squares on the Cohiba bands (should be three) is the first thing...

18 minutes ago, Drguano said:

Two rows of squares on the Cohiba bands (should be three) is the first thing...

Wouldn't that depend on the year? These are supposedly 20+ years old, potentially even putting these in the pre-2003 band which only has 2 squares above the Cohiba logo with "La Habana, Cuba" instead of just "Habana, Cuba". Here's a follow-up photo. I'm also hesitant to think that anybody would fake a Sancho Panza

IMG_3360.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, jonahs_whale said:

Wouldn't that depend on the year? These are supposedly 20+ years old, potentially even putting these in the pre-2003 band which only has 2 squares above the Cohiba logo with "La Habana, Cuba" instead of just "Habana, Cuba". Here's a follow-up photo. I'm also hesitant to think that anybody would fake a Sancho Panza

Ah, well it would be unfortunate to have pre-2003 Cohibas wrapped in a wet paper towel. Dry them gradually and hope for the best.

10 minutes ago, SCgarman said:

I have never seen genuine Cohiba that look so rustic. The fakes certainly do.

Yeah that's definitely what seems off, but as they're drying they are starting to look less rustic. Crossing my fingers i suppose. I'll give them some time to settle. I'll opt for the sanchos first hahaha

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I'd smoke them as soon as their normalized to a smoking humidity.  Give it the college try and see. 

They look like dog turds to me. I'd toss them in the trash can. The fact they were wrapped with wet paper towels, and questionable provenance is a deal breaker. I have a nice box of Sancho beli's and those Fauxhibas? LMFAO

put whatever cigar you want in a wet towel and guess what? It's gonna look like dog turds. I would be really surprised if not. 

personally i would light them up. Couple of smokes and if it taste like shit must be dog turds, cut them open to see the short filler and the floor sweeps. But there is a chance to be real, why not be sure? I have had my fair share of literally crooked Cohibas and they tasted very good.

• Like 3

I’d give them a really long time to stabilise at the right humidity. Like six months. Someone else might chip in with more science or evidence base… I just feel it’s going to take ages to get back to the right humidity all through these.