Deep Dive: San Cristobal Principe

El Presidente

San Cristobal Principe   

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

San Cristobal Principe 

I love San Cristobal as a Marque with the Fuerza being the king of the line for me. 

Having said that, the Principe is the San Cristobal that I smoke most often. I was in Miami smoking one of my favourite Non Cuban cigars in the Padron 1964 Anniversary Principe Maduro. It had me thinking of the San Cristobal Principe.....and the fact that a great Principe is still streets ahead.

Let's talk San Cristobal Principe 

• Do you like  San Cristobal Principe?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a San Cristobal Principe?
  • Do the poll!

San Cristobal Principe! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

San cristobal Principe.jpg

• Like 4

I have found these very consistent and always enjoyable--a change of pace for sure from the stronger smokes--usually a morning smoke with coffee for me.

I have gone very deep on these.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnS said:
  • Do you like San Cristobal Principe? Yes, most definitely! It is a staple cigar within my rotation.
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. In comparison to other minutos/perlas I value it just a little more than some of the other ones such as the Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas, Bolivar Coronas Junior, Montecristo No.5 and Rafael Gonzalez Perlas but only on account of the blend which I really like. I've honestly found these aforementioned cigars more consistent, construction-wise, of late.
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when? Yes. I thought La Corona factory box code EML years of 2014/15 were excellent overall, whilst the TOS years of 2016/17 were pretty good too. The LGR years of 2017-19 were more 'hit-and-miss'. The RAT years from 2020 onwards have seen a 'return-to-form' for me in that I've found them more consistent. For me, when the San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe is 'on' it has a pancake-like texture with an ideal balance of coffee, cocoa and sweet molasses. When it is ordinary it is more prone to being spicy and far less delineated in its flavours.
  • How long does it take you to smoke a San Cristobal Principe? I would think around 35 to 45 minutes.
  • Do the poll! 👍

Agree John. I have had some stellar boxes over the years. The worst have been my LGR late 17s. Not the typical Principe flavors at all. Very bland. Doubt they will ever improve

• Like 1

I’ve got two boxes of LGR MAY 19, and they’re my go to change of pace minuto.  Seem to be in the minority, but I get more of a floral, honeyed profile off these.  Wouldn’t mind getting more, but they seem to be in and out on availability these days, like many things. 

• Like 2

Got some EML15's and they are a total flavor bomb. Deep, dark fudge like flavors. Not a cigar for Choix lovers!😂

• Like 3

Love them when you get that pancake flavor in full. Fuerza is a touch better IMO as well. But I'd take either in a pitch. It's a really underrated marca. Very satisfying smoke and never understood why more people don't gravitate to them.

• Like 3

I've gone through more boxes of this than any other perla. Great smoke, rich and full of the SCDLH profile that I love. 45 minutes of strong heaven.

I have to give the El Morros and the La Puntas their love. The Morros I smoked were always full of delicious, dark flavor, and the La Puntas were so consistent as a Belicosos that I always had them in stock

• Like 3

I'm a big Fuerza fan. I will be going hard in the paint when a box of these shows u[p on 24:24.

• Like 2

Not a Principe fan, it edges out the HUHC (one of the worst cc's for me)for me but that's it.  But the Fuerza is so good!  I've been waiting for a box to show up, but they've been hard to come by these days.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:10 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

A cigar that would be tough for me to live without. My favorite Minutos for over a decade. Could smoke them every day if I had to. Quality and consistency are generally good. 

What is your opinion on the Rafael G Perlas? Yay or Nay?

Yes definitely get it and one of my fav morning cigars. Not quite pastry sweet but more waffle with maple syrup and light roast coffee.  Someone else mentioned pancakes which I could agree with as well. Going thru my last box psp from 17.  I need to get another one soon.  Probably reach for this tomorrow morning for the holiday. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SCgarman said:

What is your opinion on the Rafael G Perlas? Yay or Nay?

Like them very much. Prefer them over the PC but as far as Perlas I've always had a preference for Monte 5. Although I wouldn't hesitate to buy RGP at a good price. Also, I don't think I've ever had RGP with less than 6 years. I've smoked mostly 12s and 13s and a few 14s and 15s. Always seems like you can find these with age. Anyway the 12s were the best. If you can get the original batch (Which I believe started in 11) with the old bands they were the best I've had. 13s also very good.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...