NFL : 8 teams remaining Your weekend picks ? Who will play the Superbowl?

on a slightly different note, interesting to look at the coaches for this round. 

rams defensive coach - Raheem Morris.

49ers coach - kyle shanahan

packers coach - matt lafleur

rams coach - sean mcvay

all of them were on the washington coaching staff around 12/13/14. and we let all of them get away. what did we keep? the lesser gruden. surely, there is no divinity so cruel as to inflict that on anyone. that slimeball snyder has a lot to answer for. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

Rodgers and Brady are both in the NFC, so they won't play each other in the Super Bowl.

Subtlety was lost in my joke. I really don't want to see either one but if I have to take one over the other I guess I'll pick Kaaren

good games but hard to see either progressing any further. a line that lets through 9 sacks and an offence that can't score a single point. sounds like pre season trials for washington. 

tomorrow's teams must be delighted, given it gives the winner home field and a game against a team that should not scare either of them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

good games but hard to see either progressing any further. a line that lets through 9 sacks and an offence that can't score a single point. sounds like pre season trials for washington. 

tomorrow's teams must be delighted, given it gives the winner home field and a game against a team that should not scare either of them. 

Agree with you there. Both winning teams got extremely lucky today, but sometimes that is what is needed in the playoffs. 2 games coming down to the wire made them very fun to watch, but tomorrow should hold some higher quality football though. 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:33 PM, Lomey said:

I would like to see KC vs Green Bay just for the excitement it would create here in Kansas City. I think it will be GB vs Buffalo.

As a Vikings fan I just want a good game.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I wanted to see as well. Not going to happen! I will stay home and watch Chiefs today. They were lined up at gates at 2:30 AM tailgating and waiting to get inside Arrowhead. Know lots of people who are going to game today. Both kids are going as well as nephew. Buffalo is a scary team right now!

9 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

Feel bad for Allen. What a gutsy effort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Brent at least he doesn’t have to sound like Kermit the frog with his “Patrick Price”. I’m devastated for my Bills. What a wild ride of a game. I’m not a good loser so I hope the Bengals beat the snot out of Mahomes and if they can’t then I’m hoping the Rams can do it. The Bills offense clearly wasn’t the problem… they need to address the pass rush in the off-season. A bonafide DT or two would help things out. I like Frazier as a DC but some of the coverage tonight was abysmal. Can’t do press coverage on a lynx like Hill. The second he gets separation he’s gone. I do like Josh maturing one more year and it looks like Gabriel Davis is coming into his own. This team is built to win now. They need to go get pieces asap. 

Sigh!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, ChanceSchmerr said:

Rodgers and Brady are both in the NFC, so they won't play each other in 

No they won't lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

shows how important a top QB is. any teams with a top QB not featuring over the last two weekends? any team with an average QB get this far? perhaps 49ers and so no doubt he'll be in washington next year. 

mahomes and allen, wow, what talents. 

I don't know that I entirely agree, Ken.  if you look at the speculative top two MVP Candidates (Rodgers and Brady), both lost this weekend - Rodgers after taking the rest of the game off after the opening drive, and Brady despite a furious comeback in his game to tie it up late.  Meanwhile, Jimmy G -  a frankly middling QB with a penchant for INTs and poor decision-making, is moving on to the NFCCG. Jimmy G did not win his game through any of his own effort (didn't even lead his team to an offensive TD), GB completely lost it through abhorrent special teams and a predictable, pathetic offensive "effort". 

In the end, a top QB gets you in the conversation but the whole team effort is needed to win it all. Defensive playmakers, a stout O-line and D-line, depth with receivers, solid special teams, a kicker with ice in their veins - can't win without many of these as well, and if you have all of them, you can often obscure shortcomings in your QB.

4 hours ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

I don't know that I entirely agree, Ken.  if you look at the speculative top two MVP Candidates (Rodgers and Brady), both lost this weekend - Rodgers after taking the rest of the game off after the opening drive, and Brady despite a furious comeback in his game to tie it up late.  Meanwhile, Jimmy G -  a frankly middling QB with a penchant for INTs and poor decision-making, is moving on to the NFCCG. Jimmy G did not win his game through any of his own effort (didn't even lead his team to an offensive TD), GB completely lost it through abhorrent special teams and a predictable, pathetic offensive "effort". 

In the end, a top QB gets you in the conversation but the whole team effort is needed to win it all. Defensive playmakers, a stout O-line and D-line, depth with receivers, solid special teams, a kicker with ice in their veins - can't win without many of these as well, and if you have all of them, you can often obscure shortcomings in your QB.

sure, but i think this is little picture rather than the big picture. when i said getting this far, was not thinking of one game but rather the overall season. a lesser QB can get up now and again but these days, you are not getting to the pointy end without a good one (or in rare cases, an okay one with a top team - i always think back to rypien. granted he had a great year the superbowl season, but every other position had a fine player. few superstars but all round excellence, and joe gibbs. tannahill might be an example of is but did not go that far).

there is a reason that the 49ers only just snuck into the playoffs while other teams had much stronger seasons. then they got past dallas because the universe is trying to convince us that there is a god and they got past the packers because of utterly abysmal special teams play. i think it gets even tougher for them now. 

if you did want to argue on one single game, you could argue that in general, the teams with the lesser QBs went out first in round one (dak is probably a better QB than jimmy but completely stuffed up in the real pressure situation). 

it is not a perfect theory and there will always be anomalies but i think that having a top QB is even more important these days than ever.

not rodgers (or brady's) fault their teams are done. 

one thought about that incredible bills chiefs game yesterday. i would never question the wisdom of an NFL coach (at least all those not named jay gruden) but i could not believe that kicking off with 13 seconds to go, facing mahomes, you don't have the kicker slam it along the ground. you make it hard for the players to collect it. say you get it forty yards down field, you have good position. plus you have knocked five seconds, or perhaps even more off the clock. and you might get some bloke who gets hold of it and tries to make a play. the time would be gone, almost. mahomes no longer has the time he needed to win that game (sure, he might have done something else but you have slashed his chances). he would have had one, possibly two plays but they are not getting to the field goal. 

it seemed a no brainer to me. 

• Like 2

Bills should have played their cornerbacks right on the Kansas City receivers and tackle/hold them as soon as the ball is hiked. That would have taken off 5ish seconds each time and the penalty for defensive holding is only 5 yards. 

Wide Right 

Music City Miracle 

13 Seconds

• Like 1

20 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Feel bad for Allen. What a gutsy effort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel bad for Buffalo.  

this is why I feel a kinship with you guys.  The weather sucks and our teams break our hearts without fail.  

on the bright side, you have one of the young elite QB’s so the future looks bright…

Another failed prognostication: KC beats LAR in the Bowl, except maybe Matt Stafford realizes this his moment in the sun, then LAR beats KC... 🤔

6 hours ago, GotYaGoat said:

Bills should have played their cornerbacks right on the Kansas City receivers and tackle/hold them as soon as the ball is hiked. That would have taken off 5ish seconds each time and the penalty for defensive holding is only 5 yards. 

That tactic has been addressed. It is a 15 yarder for unsportsmanlike conduct.

https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/2017/03/chip_kelly-inspired_rule_appro_1.html

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

very optimistic given he got absolutely none from his O line. 

Precisely. He was sacked 9 times and pressured 14 and still threw for almost 350 yards.  He drilled a bullet to Chase on the sideline at the end which got them in fieldgoal range.