Proposal to ban alcohol on planes

Will this get off the ground?  :thinking:

.......excuse the pun...I couldn't help it  :D

https://news.yahoo.com/should-alcohol-be-limited-at-airport-bars-and-banned-on-planes-133404927.html

Should alcohol be limited at airport bars and banned on planes?

Adam Shapiro
Adam Shapiro
·Anchor
·3 min read

The Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) most recent data shows cases of violent, unruly passengers increasing aboard flights. Airlines reported more than 5,600 cases of unruly passengers this year through Dec. 14 and more than 4,000 cases of "mask-related incidents."

"There are more than 5,000 incidents already that have been violent in nature on planes, and so many of them are tied to alcohol," Senator Ed Markey (D-Mass.) told Yahoo Finance. Markey is on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation which recently held a hearing on "Oversight of the U.S. Airline Industry."

It was intended to explore the ways U.S. airlines spent $54 billion in taxpayer funds Congress lent and granted to the carriers to avoid layoffs during the COVID-19 pandemic. But much of the testimony from airline CEOs and others included the government-mandated mask policy and updates on the incidents of unruly passengers.

"The problem with aviation right now is the violence towards flight attendants and other aviation workers that has remained constant at record high levels during the biggest crisis our nation has faced in 100 years," testified Sara Nelson, the international president of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, AFL-CIO. 

Markey said, "Given the level of volatility in the skies that we're seeing with passengers who are almost ideologically in opposition to any mask mandate, or any control of how people are traveling, leads to inevitably, it's sad to say, a ban on alcohol as well, until this whole situation is put under control."

'Alcohol is absolutely a contributor'

Nelson began sounding the alarm last summer when she told National Public Radio (NPR), "Alcohol is absolutely a contributor. So I don't want to say that alcohol is always the cause for these events, but alcohol is the biggest contributor to them."

cdd1c740-6109-11ec-bfef-aba6977e40b1

Nelson called on the committee to ban take out drinks from airport bars and delivery of open container alcohol at airline gates. She also wants the Department of Transportation (DOT) to require airport bars to limit customers to purchasing one alcoholic beverage at a time. 

But Markey, who links the escalating bad behavior to alcohol consumption wants to go further. He called it an epidemic of violent behavior on planes and said he's open to banning alcohol altogether. "It's unacceptable behavior in the skies, dangerous behavior in the skies that right now is still out of control. And we have to do whatever it takes in order to make those skies more safe."

The FAA's Reauthorization Act allows a fine of up to $37,000 per violation for unruly passenger cases. But the agency is only investigating 1,030 incidents of bad behavior and has brought just 315 cases against misbehaving passengers.

"Unfortunately passions are intensifying rather than abating and more and more people just feel that it's their constitutional right not to have to wear a mask on a plane," said Markey, adding that the DOT may have to act. "If that opposition is then fueled by alcohol on that plane, it creates a dangerous situation, not just for the flight attendants, but for the passengers on that plane as well."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nope. How else would we get the confidence to land the thing???    * I kid, I kid. 

but how would canadian influencers ever survive? 

My gut feeling is to hate any kind of policy that says I can’t drink on a plane. However, if the safety of the flight attendants has become an issue than perhaps this does need to happen.  Anyone

I'm not a teetotaler but I can see why they are contemplating this.  It would be nice if people could just self regulate so the government wouldn't feel the need to intervene but they apparently can't.

I say don't regulate them but let me have at them should the need arise without fear of prosecution :)

• Like 4

I don't drink much on the plane on shorter flights but typically enjoy a  beer or two before a flight...

I would think the most practical solution would be to barr anyone who throws a tantrum on a plane from flying commercial for a while and to permanently barr any repeat offender. That would work towards creating a culture of fear for the individuals who can't just be respectful, good people... sad that we have gotten to this point.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeanff said:

I don't drink much on the plane on shorter flights but typically enjoy a  beer or two before a flight...

I would think the most practical solution would be to barr anyone who throws a tantrum on a plane from flying commercial for a while and to permanently barr any repeat offender. That would work towards creating a culture of fear for the individuals who can't just be respectful, good people... sad that we have gotten to this point.

Absolutely. 

1. Unruly                    :  24 month ban on all airlines. 

2. Abusive (physical) :  Lifetime ban on all airlines. 

You fly from Australia.......you need to drink :surprised:

• Like 4

Just now, Jeanff said:

They could wait till they are at the resort to party or learn to travel vicariously 😁

so you want to condemn these paragons of ???? to actually sit and have nothing to take selfies with for several hours? cruel and unusual. and what about the desolation that will inflict on all the stupids (now a noun, although they are not the only ones to blame for that) who follow them? their lives will have no meaning for like literally ummmm hours. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ken Gargett said:

so you want to condemn these paragons of ???? to actually sit and have nothing to take selfies with for several hours? cruel and unusual. and what about the desolation that will inflict on all the stupids (now a noun, although they are not the only ones to blame for that) who follow them? their lives will have no meaning for like literally ummmm hours. 

Yeah, I'm that cruel 😇

• Haha 1

I am guessing that the inebriated trouble makers are beyond rational thought so a harsher penalty would not deter people in that state. Airlines already remove the obviously drunk even if they are merely happy yet smashed and tell them they’re grounded until sober. The belligerent go on the individual airlines No-fly list and the violent are turned over to the police. I think the No-fly lists should be universal to keep those who would just act up on another airline on the ground. Should TSA have breathalyzers? Best practice would be to keep the inebriated from getting on the plane. Fights are still happening at the gates. Some airlines have already experimented with not serving booze on the plane. I generally avoid the stuff with the exception of a nightcap on transoceanic flights so a ban wouldn’t affect me. You could try positive reinforcement and offer a free cocktail to the vaccinated and pleasantly mask compliant. The best solution would be to somehow bring civility back to society. Okay. Someone else can have my soapbox now. I am late for 24x24…

1 minute ago, Rhinoww said:

Not much hooch available on domestic us flights right now unless you are in front. Still waaaay too many angry folks who feel very entitled. Not sure how to manage that. Lotta anger out there right now. 

That is why my wife always packs her own.  She usually has a couple vodka bottles in her backpack.  She may or may not be packing The Glenlivet...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

That is why my wife always packs her own.  She usually has a couple vodka bottles in her backpack.  She may or may not be packing The Glenlivet...

Aren't airlines forbidding anyone from consuming alcohol on the plane, apart from beverages sold on the plane? Haven't flown much in the past two years...

Just now, HarveyBoulevard said:

I used to pack a vodka tonic in a tumbler from an airport club on evening flights where I wanted a drink and a nap. Given the increasing number of announcements about the penalties for bringing your own I just skip it now. Thankfully I’m not on the road as much as I used to be. 

I dont know if any of you have flown for the last 18+ months, but Alcohol has been banned to most customers on most US flights for most of the pandemic. Most bars/restaurants and airline lounges have also been shut down/ or operating under modified hours. Its literally never been more difficult or expensive to drink before/during a flight. But "most" people pissed about masks and shitty service are drunk? Ridiculous. I'd vote for a ban on Children and Cell Phones long before I ever considered this. Alcohol has NOT been the main problem with airline travel over the last couple years, that's absurd. 

• Like 1

Just now, Drguano said:

The best solution would be to somehow bring civility back to society. Okay. Someone else can have my soapbox now.

All that is needed is a little respect in dealing with the individuals. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

Aren't airlines forbidding anyone from consuming alcohol on the plane, apart from beverages sold on the plane? Haven't flown much in the past two years...

Yes…they are. You can bring it, just can’t drink it. 

2 or 3 cops for 250 inmates makes it hard to enforce. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

I used to pack a vodka tonic in a tumbler from an airport club on evening flights where I wanted a drink and a nap. Given the increasing number of announcements about the penalties for bringing your own I just skip it now. Thankfully I’m not on the road as much as I used to be. 

You can bring it in a sealed container but are not supposed to open and/or consume it. 

4 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

BYOB was against the rules LONG before covid. But its not hard to get away with. People vape weed concentrates on planes today. Sneaking on Alcohol is very 90's. Haha 

23 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

You fly from Australia.......you need to drink :surprised:

True. In Australia, former Australian Test Cricketer David Boon is well-known for downing 52 beers on a 24 hour flight to London prior to beginning a tour of England to play cricket in 1989.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/great-ashes-moment-no14-david-boons-52-cans-of-beer-on-the-way-to-england-in-1989/news-story/615b08ccd6e1d73d7193454b36e03dc9

• Like 2