Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4

Bought my first box of these on the 24:24 from 11/9/21.  The wrappers in the photo look very rosado and I know this is what to look for with RyJ.  I have had limited, but positive, experience with the Exh 4.  Can anyone give me a little more info about these guys?  How has recent production been?  Do they age gracefully or is it one of those cigars that's best smoked sooner rather than later?  Any personal experience with them is appreciated!  

• Like 1

Bought my first box of these on the 24:24 from 11/9/21.  The wrappers in the photo look very rosado and I know this is what to look for with RyJ.  I have had limited, but positive, experience with the Exh 4.  Can anyone give me a little more info about these guys?  How has recent production been?  Do they age gracefully or is it one of those cigars that's best smoked sooner rather than later?  Any personal experience with them is appreciated!  

I’m a big fan. First off the flavors described in the 24:24 description are accurate with cherry being the most pronounced flavor I get from them. I also got a box and can’t wait for them. My only complaint which admittedly is very minor is that a few I’ve tried can have a tight draw. Easy fix with a PerfectDraw though.

Can’t help with the aging question. This is the only other box I have had. For reference the box I am working thru now is OER-Feb 21. Wrappers appear to be a bit lighter than the PSP we just bought. I picked up the box in Germany at a LCDH while on holiday last month. Hope this helps.

30bd1afe47d7af2521aae9a6eac10ae2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Not a lot of experience to share, except that I bought a box about a year back - ABO Oct 19 - and sampled one shortly after receipt, it was quite strong (Great potential) and seemed like flavors needed to develop for a few years. So it’s down for an extended rest. I’ve read Exh 4 is one of the more full bodied RyJ’s, that’s definitely my experience so far. 

• Like 3

• JohnS changed the title to Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4

The Ex 4 is still quite popular and I'm told recent production is quite good. I'm not a fan of them as I find them a bit muddled in flavor (same with the Belicosos). They aren't for everyone so you'll have to try one to find out if you like it. I would also recommend you try recent SLR Regios which I would take 10 out of 10 times over the Ex 4. 

• Like 3

I like them. Make a good afternoon smoke if I can't pull out a churchhill when pressed on time. Great interplay of cherry, tea, and wood. 2nd Third has been the best part for me. I like them to switch up my regular rotation. Construction has been good on all of them. Not sure yr to yr if these are great but that's my 2 cents. It's a go if you like RyJ flavors it didn't disappoint. 

• Like 4

I got a 1/4 box of clearance RyJ Ex4 that was offered a few months back and unfortunately they were let's say difficult... The first one was smoked ROTT and the draw was tight but manageable after a good amount of PD drilling. I got zero cherry, only some charcoal and toast. Since I don't like charcoal as a flavor I figured the Ex4 was just not for me and the draw was probably due to my impatience.

The remaining 5 sticks actually made the first one pale by comparison. Even after resting for 3 months at 65% they were hard as a rock, and were so overfilled that when I gently inserted the PD, the wrapper cracked from the pressure! I got my scale out and all the cigars were just over 15g instead of 10.8g! No wonder they were tight... I'm convinced these cigars were the result of a roller saying "I bet you can't stuff more tobacco in these Ex4" and his buddy pulling off a textbook "hold my cerveza"!

Anyway, after several attempt that unfortunately resulted in destroyed cigars, I was able to get the last one to have a decent draw. I managed that by getting the wrapper wet so it wouldn't crack when I inserted the PD, then I went to town with the PD and basically rolled the cigar on the table after every PD session to try to rearrange the tobacco after having extracted a portion of it. This cigar is now resting at 62%, I really hope that at least with this one last cigar I can actually taste what an Ex4 is supposed to taste like!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I’ve been smoking through a box of OER OCT 20 and about ten cigars in the box has been outstanding. Have another full box and two more on the way. I hope they are just as good. 

• Like 4

I can see the upside on these, when they are on. They don't fit into my regular rotation, but I can see why they are popular.

I do choose my drink carefully when I smoke one, and must say vodka/cranberry or just a light cranberry juice-based drink is a match in heaven.

• Like 3

Thanks everybody for the responses!  Happy to hear that overall they seem to be a positive experience, I'm looking forward to the box arriving.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:37 AM, NYgarman said:

Try to make a box last 10 years or more. That last cigar out of the box will be absolutely sublime! Just smoked my last one a few months ago from a 2008 box. 

The way I smoke, I'll probably get 20 years out of them!  I am not a veteran smoker of RyJ by any means, but I can see how the flavor profile could be really interesting with age