What music do you listen to when smoking cigars?

I've just started listening to Pink Martini again.

The interesting this is, though China Forbes only speaks English, some French and a little Italian, she can sing in 15 different languages. If you haven't heard of Pink Martini, they are a multilingual recording group. They recently recorded their first song in Mandarin.

Storm Large took over from China Forbes when she had vocal cord surgery, and later joined as an additional singer. The following song is in Romanian.

• Like 1

Salsa and Buena vista social club..Takes me back to the days of just chilling and  smoking a nice cigar sitting in La Plaza Vieja in old Havana

Edited by Billybats
  • Thanks 1

Usually I use Spotify radio on a Sonos portable speaker. Favorite seeds are Sturgill Simpson, Nathaniel Rateliff, and old dude country (Cash/Nelson/Haggard/Jennings). Also a lot of streamed grateful dead concerts, mostly Godchaux-Mydland eras. On warm nights Yacht rock radio, yeah I said it come at me. 

• Like 4

On 4/21/2021 at 6:46 AM, Edicion said:

Normally I would go for something like Buena Vista Social Club, but have to admit I'm deep into a Bob Marley period again. I feel it goes really well with the mood of smoking cigars. What do you enjoy listening to? 

If you like Buena Vista Social Club and Bob Marley, try this. I've been listening to them for while now. Nice stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vitola Corleone said:

Usually I use Spotify radio on a Sonos portable speaker. Favorite seeds are Sturgill Simpson, Nathaniel Rateliff, and old dude country (Cash/Nelson/Haggard/Jennings). Also a lot of streamed grateful dead concerts, mostly Godchaux-Mydland eras. On warm nights Yacht rock radio, yeah I said it come at me. 

Sturgill is the man.  Ten years ago, I never would have believed "psychedelic country" would even be a thing, much less that I would be diggin' it.

• Like 1

Love the idea of this thread...  Unless enjoying a book with the cigar (which is rare :), music is essential.  Many is the night over the past year (especially) when I went outside to enjoy a cigar and make a playlist at the end of the day, when all was said and done.  ...What better way to add to the enjoyment of a cigar than by adding sound to wonderful tastes and aromas?  (Just like pairing a great drink!)

Began the Covid time by thinking back to a family trip to Cuba, which included stops at La Zorra y El Cuervo and the Bertolt Brecht Cultural Center -- the memories still resonate wonderfully.  (Both must go's when in Havana IMO.)  

At the La Zorra (after standing in line for 2 1/2 hours w wife and sons for what ended up being the 1am show -- adult sons, that is :) we were so lucky to hear Roberto Fonseca.  All of you who mentioned traditional Cuban music (Buena Vista, etc.) and jazz would enjoy checking any songs he's featured in.  

For those wanting more classic sounds (with a reggae tilt), check Mista Savona presents Havana Meets Kingston.  The whole recording is great.  

Hope you enjoy them too...

ps:  Ryan, enjoyed the "Chan Chan" post.  Thanks mon :)  (I lived in the Caribbean +/-25 years before moving back.)  ...For more Cuban sounds, you might want to also check the Danay Suáres, Yissy García, Plere María, Kokoroko, Interactivo, and (also more on the jazz side) Roberto Carcassés, Giles Peterson's Havana Cultura Band, and Brenda Navarrete.  ...Plus "Suma Y Resta" by El Micha & Gilberto Santa Rosa.  Good stuff.

Here's a Roberto Fonseca for the Buena Vista fans...

And another (posted by someone else) recorded @ La Zorra (definitely more for the jazz enthusiasts)... 

15 hours ago, Lrabold89 said:

i really like bob marley as well, but there is waaaaaaaaay more really good reggae out there to listen to from all decades marley was active......try to spice it up and check it out ...i think you'll enjoy loudav reggae mixes on youtube ..he puts together some good material 

Way more for sure. I used to listed a lot to Toots as well and Ska. Somehow with limited time (Life) Bob is main source now. Btw did you ever see the movie Rockers? Phenomenal music in there.

19 hours ago, Vitola Corleone said:

Will check out Sturgill for sure. Good to learn something new

17 hours ago, Ryan said:

If you like Buena Vista Social Club and Bob Marley, try this. I've been listening to them for while now. Nice stuff!

That was very nice indeed. Made think of Manu Chao for some reason. Good stuff

21 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I've just started listening to Pink Martini again.

The interesting this is, though China Forbes only speaks English, some French and a little Italian, she can sing in 15 different languages. If you haven't heard of Pink Martini, they are a multilingual recording group. They recently recorded their first song in Mandarin.

Storm Large took over from China Forbes when she had vocal cord surgery, and later joined as an additional singer. The following song is in Romanian.

Def picked up some new info here, very interesting and a concept I never knew existed. Nice !

19 hours ago, Billybats said:

Salsa and Buena vista social club..Takes me back to the days of just chilling and  smoking a nice cigar sitting in La Plaza Vieja in old Havana

Would be nice to visit some day. 2024???😆

13 hours ago, HDGSN said:

I pull up the Relisten app and try to find a Grateful Dead shows from the “This Day in History” feature.

Who could have guessed that you listen to the Dead? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

I actually don’t listen to music when I smoke! Typically when I’m alone I try to read when I smoke. I combine smoking a cigar with introspection/self development. Really been huge for me in my own personal growth...and of course it’s became yet another justification for buying more cigars because clearly they’re just so good for my mental health and growth 🤦🏼‍♂️😂😂😂

Well played sir.  How can she argue with that? 🤣

• Haha 1

Right now: Gorilla Biscuits Start Today. A good dose of NY/HC to get the day going. Having espresso and a Monsdale by Jorge with it.

• 7 months later...

When I smoke a cigar, I turn on a playlist on YouTube called Whiskey Blues. I love drinking my scotch and smoking my Cohiba cigar when I listen to this kind of music. Sometimes, when I find a track I like, I download it through this website: https://allan-walker-i-am-on-my-way-song.rabbit-mp3.com/. I record the tracks on CD and insert them into my old audio system, which supports only CD. I also like to listen to all the songs of BB King, and I consider him the greatest bluesman. And I also want to smoke cigars with my friends in my office. I like the atmosphere during the smoking process.