JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

1 hour ago, oneizzzz said:

Dear @JohnS, have you smoked an ERDM Kon Tiki?  If so, would you be willing to post a review?

@oneizzzz, no I have not done so, yet. And yes, I'm willing to smoke all types of Habanos cigars because I aim to keep myself open-minded when it comes to preferences/biases etc. and to learning something new along the way. I enjoy sharing that information too, naturally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2021 at 12:21 PM, JohnS said:

1484838220_2021-12-1912_01_44.jpg.f1cc4bd38be4857ac6a79d5126673bb5.jpg

Trinidad Topes 2016 - Edición Limitada TOS Sep 2016

The regular production Trinidad Topes was released in 2019 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Trinidad marca (according to Habanos S.A). However, it was previously released in late 2016 as a Limited Edition in a large 56 ring gauge x 125 mm (or 4⅞ inches) length. And yes, it's not the first time a Limited Edition cigar has been brought back as a regular production cigar (e.g. Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial and H.Upmann Magnum 50). The 2016 version of the Topes was such a great seller and well-reputed amongst aficionados that in my view, it wasn't to much of a surprise to see its re-release. Incidentally, the Montecristo Dantes and Romeo y Julieta Capuletos were also released in early 2017 as 2016 Limited Editions. Do we still remember them?

This was my second late-2016 Trinidad Topes LE from the box. In my last review I posed the question, "So how did this smoke and how does it compare to the 2019 regular production release?" I think the relevancy of this questions remains much the same as it did a few months ago when I 'cracked open' the box. Habanos S.A mention on their website that large ring-gauged cigars such as this one leave a rich feel on the palate in contrast to smaller ring-gauged cigars which tend to leave a sharp taste on the tongue and hence don't include ligero leaf. In the case of the Topes, that richness on the palate is self-evident from the first puffs until the last.

The 2019 regular production Trinidad Topes that I've sampled since their release have tended to be a combination of spice, coffee and butter pastry, some slight gingerbread-type sweetness and even some salt. The Trinidad Topes 2016 EL had more cocoa and sweetness to it upon its release in its youth. This TOS Sep 2016 specimen certainly again had a sweetness to it that is not found in its regular production younger brother. After five years though, the body and strength has diminished somewhat and it is now quite mild, but it did have a core coffee, wood and dough core flavour to it. Perhaps, one could say that it was more woody or savoury than the first cigar from this box smoked two months ago, but it was still fairly easy to smoke.

I still think that the maduro-shaded Limited Edition wrappers, which still carry some hefty sheen on every cigar from this box, has definitely imparted a lovely and subtle sweetness that is no longer cocoa-heavy, if you get what I mean. It's quite unlike the core savoury flavours I've gotten out of a variety of Trinidad cigars I've smoked in the last two or three years.

It's always interesting to see the difference in palette's in terms to how one perceives a cigar. I've found Trinidad's recently to be like a decadent semi sweet French pastry with some butter and honey. They definitely come across more dessert like and less savory to me!  

Thank you for all of your reviews, they are a delight to read! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kaptain Karl said:

It's always interesting to see the difference in palette's in terms to how one perceives a cigar. I've found Trinidad's recently to be like a decadent semi sweet French pastry with some butter and honey. They definitely come across more dessert like and less savory to me!  

Thank you for all of your reviews, they are a delight to read! 

Thank you kindly, Karl ! 👍

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

1277751575_2021-12-2413_45_56.jpg.1dd642cf972d61a3f7870daacd37ab59.jpg

Montecristo A MOL Jun 2017

The biggest Montecristo cigar (and in fact, the biggest regular production cigar) around is this one, but don't fooled, it's not the strongest. At 47 ring gauge x 235 mm in length (that's 9¼ inches!) this felt like a toothpick in diameter in comparison to the many other post-52 ring gauge cigars that are around nowadays. (And how many would that be? I'm glad you asked - the answer is currently forty-three!)

At four-and-a-half years in age, this was simply sublime. The Montecristo coffee and cocoa in this was light, however, it was the flavours that complimented the muted Montecristo quintessential flavour which esteemed it so highly, for me. I really enjoyed the softer, marshmallow-like texture, the almond and hazelnut flavours which reminded me of Frangelico liqueur and especially the orange citrus twang like Cointreau. There was no doubt whatsoever, for this was the absolute superlative flavour held and maintained me in attentive bliss for easily over 2½ hours.

So, in summary, if you are looking to this cigar to overwhelm you with strength or complexity, then look elsewhere, otherwise do yourself a favour and give this some time to rest (at least 12 to 18 months in my opinion) and hopefully you could sit back and enjoy it like I did. This is a strong candidate for my best cigar of this month thus far.

I have a 5 count box of this code and date. I bet we got them from the same vendor! I'm going to burn one given the great review here. Thanks for all of your reviews, John. Your posts are one of the highlights of this board. Happy New Year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joeypots said:

I have a 5 count box of this code and date. I bet we got them from the same vendor! I'm going to burn one given the great review here. Thanks for all of your reviews, John. Your posts are one of the highlights of this board. Happy New Year!

Thanks and indeed, I bet we did get these Monte As from the same vendor! 😉

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 8:07 PM, JohnS said:

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expressed via myriad ways for the content that lies herein. I hope this blog can assist our members with their cigar smoking well into 2022 and beyond.

I intend to take a break but in the meantime I wish all our members a Happy New Year and a prosperous 2022!

Thank you for all the reviews - they are excellent and I’ve learned a great deal from your commentary! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1