JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

On 11/12/2021 at 4:00 AM, JohnS said:

902996870_2021-10-2412_29_49.jpg.754ee949de2efa136ade56798ec54829.jpg

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015

The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar that was packaged in aluminum tubes in larger-than-average 25-count dress boxes. You may be struggling to account for the Coronas that we do have left in regular production to this day. Cigar enthusiasts may remember the Montecristo No.3 and Quai d'Orsay Coronas Claro, but would they remember the Romeo y Julieta Cedros De Luxe No.2? Perhaps, no? I know, after smoking the first Bolivar Tubos No.1 from this box today I wondered myself why the Romeo y Julieta Cedros De Luxe No.2 is still around and the Bolivar Tubos No.1 is not. (Granted, I am aware poor sales would obviously have something to do with it!)

The Bolivar Tubos No1 was noted as an elegant cigar of better-than-average construction (probably as less were made) and provided lots of complexity in aromas, especially floral ones. The flavours tended to be Earthy, wood, some spices, leather and even bitter chocolate.

After having this box in storage for approximately five years I can tell you that this Bolivar Tubos No.1 was not necessarily bitter chocolate, leather, Earth and spices when I lit it up today. Nor was the smoke off the draw crisp or wispy. On the contrary, this cigar has very much settled with those Bolivar dried fruits developing into a chewy, caramel-marshmallow with the smoke on the palate being quite mild yet viscous. I still got some Bolivar Earth and leather but no spice and no real chocolate-y flavours as those aforementioned notes very much dominated the cigar.

It goes without saying that I rated this cigar highly, lamented its deletion and am now very much anticipating lighting up the second example from the box. I'm not exactly sure when that will be bit one thing I do know...I promise it will be soon!

103569577_2021-10-2412_18_44.jpg.ec36748270fed79fac595185fa07314e.jpg

Very nice review! 

Sorry if I am cluttering your reviews with questions but I am curious as to know what you think of this one vs a BPC vs the Royal Corona. Do they share the same DNA and feeling or are they different? any preference for your taste?

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 6:05 PM, Edicion said:

Very nice review! 

Sorry if I am cluttering your reviews with questions but I am curious as to know what you think of this one vs a BPC vs the Royal Corona. Do they share the same DNA and feeling or are they different? any preference for your taste?

No please ask away @Edicion, I insist! Questions are welcome. I can't help but feel that the Bolivar Tubos No.1 can be categorised as an 'UnBolivar' Bolivar if you know what I mean and if you can believe it! The Bolivar Petit Coronas and Bolivar Royal Coronas are more true to a typical Bolivar DNA in their Earthy/Forest Floor/Stout or Malt flavours. The Bolivar Tubos No.1 is definitely more dried fruits or even sweet currants, potentially. In general, milder and sweeter than a BPC or BRC would be at the 5 year-mark, in my opinion.

In regards to preference, I do prefer the Bolivar Tubos No.1 because this profile I described appeals to my taste more but I am not adverse to smoking a quality Bolivar of late. I definitely feel I've come around to them in the past year or two!

• Like 4

On 11/23/2021 at 11:41 PM, JohnS said:

No please ask away @Edicion, I insist! Questions are welcome. I can't help but feel that the Bolivar Tubos No.1 can be categorised as an 'UnBolivar' Bolivar if you know what I mean and if you can believe it! The Bolivar Petit Coronas and Bolivar Royal Coronas are more true to a typical Bolivar DNA in their Earthy/Forest Floor/Stout or Malt flavours. The Bolivar Tubos No.1 is definitely more dried fruits or even sweet currants, potentially. In general, milder and sweeter than a BPC or BRC would be at the 5 year-mark, in my opinion.

In regards to preference, I do prefer the Bolivar Tubos No.1 because this profile I described appeals to my taste more but I am not adverse to smoking a quality Bolivar of late. I definitely feel I've come around to them in the past year or two!

That's very interesting and insightful. I had read how some were raving about the Tubos 1 and at the same time, the Bolivars are (I feel) not universally loved, which led me to think they cannot be too close to today's flavor profile. I think that's also reflected in your comparison and current preference. I think I won't go out of my way to find a Tubos 1 but definitely will give one a go if I can find a sample. Thank you again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JohnS said:

Curse You GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 5:45 PM, JohnS said:

2111917156_2021-11-1619_02_56.jpg.42323f0998b7c2513c087747aa5d7d35.jpg

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016

I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas Serie D No.4 which is touted nowadays as the largest selling Habanos cigar by volume, overtaking the Montecristo No.4. In comparison, I would argue that the Partagas Serie D No.5 barely rates a mention. Why is that, I wonder?

From my own point of view, the only Serie D No.5s that I've smoked in the last five years have been a couple of La Gloria Cubana Spanish Regional Editions from circa 2017/18. And let me tell you, the construction faults on those still linger with me today despite how good they were flavourwise. This Partagas Serie D No.5 was nothing like that. It smoked very well. It was full of flavour, the strength after five years had made it quite approachable and it lasted a whole 90 minutes, if you can believe such a thing for a cigar that is around half an inch shorter than a Robustos!

Make no mistake, this cigar had no complexity in that it was basically mild coffee, sourdough and leather but that suited me today just fine. I could happily smoke a whole box of these and be quite satisfied!

Great review. Thank you John. I agree with your comment on the LGC Spanish regional. The construction issues I've experienced with the box I smoked recently have been disappointing. I have one left in my humidor. Hopefully it smokes better than the others! Glad you enjoyed the Partagas :) I aged that for 5 years in my wineador 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Great reviews, John! Annotations on the history of marcas and vitolas are also valuable and informative.
Let me add a little bit. I heard this information at a lecture by the brand ambassador of Habanos S.A.: QdO Coronas Claro is produced in small circulation due to the lack of an impeccable Claro wrapper.

Thank you kindly, @nKostyan, I am pleased with however I may assist others in our shared hobby! Thank you too for adding the information about the wrappers. It makes complete sense when it comes to Quai d'Orsay.

• Like 4