JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

On 10/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, JohnS said:

I must admit that I have been wanting to smoke this cigar for a long, long time

Cant believe a hesitated and lost out on two PSP looking boxes at €600 all in.     Still cant forgive myself for this .  It's in my top 10 cigar related blunders. 

Great reviews as ever John,  Hats off 

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 9:36 PM, JohnS said:

This third cigar, after six months, demonstrated to me that the box is coming around quite nicely. This time, unlike my second cigar three months ago, the construction and burning was ideal. The flavours I picked up were a combination of milk coffee, oak wood and butter brioche bread that was a touch sweeter at times; almost like butterscotch candy. In fact, I felt that the best way to characterise this PL Galanes today, after smoking it over 75 minutes, would be to state that it was like a Punch Short de Punch with a butterscotch sweetness, if you could imagine such a thing! If you are looking for that typical Por Larranaga caramel sweetness, I would advise to look elsewhere as it wasn't present in this cigar.

I'm yet to try one of these.   But if they have indeed managed to create a blend that is butter brioche and oak and butterscotch sounds pretty awesome to me.   

They seem to be available in the EU, but thanks to the idiots that voted for Brexit,  the UK is now like cold war Russia, and every single source imaginable has been cut off.   Soon i will be thankful for a Guantanemera Cristales smuggled in a tin of dehydrated rat meat

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 99call said:

I'm yet to try one of these.   But if they have indeed managed to create a blend that is butter brioche and oak and butterscotch sounds pretty awesome to me.   

They seem to be available in the EU, but thanks to the idiots that voted for Brexit,  the UK is now like cold war Russia, and every single source imaginable has been cut off.   Soon i will be thankful for a Guantanemera Cristales smuggled in a tin of dehydrated rat meat

I am very much sorry to hear that is the case. As mentioned in that review, the Por Larranaga Galanes is packaged in a 10-count so I hope you can get a box to sample at some point!

8 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I am very much sorry to hear that is the case. As mentioned in that review, the Por Larranaga Galanes is packaged in a 10-count so I hope you can get a box to sample at some point!

Of course I could buy in the UK............but I'm not that desperate HA!

It's funny prices in the UK, are actually getting closer and closer to the rest of the world (something I thought I would never live to see).   I have source in the UK I sometimes buy RE's from, they have boxes of Molinos at around £350 odd, which I ridiculously starting to look like bargains.      The world has turned on its head.    crazy times

• Like 2

Thank you for this fantastic series of reviews on the Petit Robustos!  I especially liked the comparison to the regular production cigars, which is exactly what I was wondering.  Given that the Robustos are pretty much all regular production... Pyramides next??  :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, augster123 said:

Thank you for this fantastic series of reviews on the Petit Robustos!  I especially liked the comparison to the regular production cigars, which is exactly what I was wondering.  Given that the Robustos are pretty much all regular production... Pyramides next??  :) 

Absolutely, you've read my mind. I enjoyed these Seleccion Petit Robustos so much that I envisage that I will acquire another box down-the-track. However; yes, I will be acquiring the Piramides Seleccion first to see how they compare to other piramides I have smoked in 2020 and '21.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnS said:

especially the recently discontinued SP Non Plus, then keep in mind to give them time to develop. I'm confident you'll be glad you did in the long run.

Completely agree with you on this John.   I think SP really suffers,  as many people often approach it like a cheap brand and afford it no leeway to reach where they need to be.  For example I would approach a Molino like I would a Sir Winston. i.e. I'm not going to smoke 5 ROTT, and then denounce them as being crap or unimpressive.     I think it really illustrates a category of light bodied cigars that really need time down.  Trini Coloniales, Des Dieux, Molinos, RGCE, RG Lons, Non Plus, Dip 4s, ERDM.         I think all of these cigars can be underwhelming if chuffed through in their 1st year

I've heard lots of accounts of people starting to get good results with the rebranded Vegueros.   I think it all goes to prove, we should never judge a book by its cover.   Reminds me of a great quote by Paul O'Connell (Irish rugby great) when discussing team mates. "You should assume that the guy to the left and right of you, are great blokes....and let them prove you wrong"

15 hours ago, JohnS said:

On the contrary, this cigar has very much settled with those Bolivar dried fruits developing into a chewy, caramel-marshmallow with the smoke on the palate being quite mild yet viscous. I still got some Bolivar Earth and leather but no spice and no real chocolate-y flavours as those aforementioned notes very much dominated the cigar.

I think this is a brilliant description of whats going on with these cigars.  The great ones interweave these two starkly different sides

Dr Jekyll = that chewy viscous sweetness, with aromatic floral bursts

Mr Hyde = The dark brooding, burnt roast beef, rich earthiness, and tannic leather, brazil nut oiliness

Interestingly I think current Partagas Presidente's are also walking this path, but obviously in a Partagas register

As ever great reviews John. Hats off to you Sir

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 99call said:

Completely agree with you on this John.   I think SP really suffers,  as many people often approach it like a cheap brand and afford it no leeway to reach where they need to be.  For example I would approach a Molino like I would a Sir Winston. i.e. I'm not going to smoke 5 ROTT, and then denounce them as being crap or unimpressive.     I think it really illustrates a category of light bodied cigars that really need time down.  Trini Coloniales, Des Dieux, Molinos, RGCE, RG Lons, Non Plus, Dip 4s, ERDM.         I think all of these cigars can be underwhelming if chuffed through in their 1st year

Well said. Yes, I concur...these light-bodied cigars you've mentioned benefit greatly from time down.

15 minutes ago, 99call said:

I think this is a brilliant description of whats going on with these cigars.  The great ones interweave these two starkly different sides

Dr Jekyll = that chewy viscous sweetness, with aromatic floral bursts

Mr Hyde = The dark brooding, burnt roast beef, rich earthiness, and tannic leather, brazil nut oiliness

Interestingly I think current Partagas Presidente's are also walking this path, but obviously in a Partagas register

As ever great reviews John. Hats off to you Sir

Thank you. You've described the two sides of an aged Bolivar Tubos No.1 well!