JohnS' Smoking Diary 2021

JohnS

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Partagás Serie D No.5 EOT Oct 2016 I would like to thank @Luca again for gifting me this cigar. The Partagas Serie D No.5 doesn't get anywhere near the attention of its big brother, the Partagas

I'd like to take the opportunity to again thank you for taking the time to peruse and support this blog. I would like to especially thank a number of you who have supported me in your gratitude expres

Bolívar Tubos No.1 ULA Jun 2015 The Bolivar Tubos No.1 was a medium-full Corona cigar discontinued in 2017. It was one of the last Coronas, a 42 ring gauge, 142 mm (or 5⅝ inches) in length cigar

On 8/19/2021 at 5:17 PM, JohnS said:

This Distinguidos, I have to confess, flavour-wise was outstanding. I got peanut, cointreau-essenced orange citrus and mild shortbread through-and-through

Yep, Even when these get touted as the 'best of a bad bunch' they are just so much better than that again. I picked up some LRG DIC 18's as I wanted to indulge in that peanut hit, but kept on having to mutter to myself throughout the 5 or so that I've smoke 'these are so much more than peanut bombs'. I would back up what you've said entirely that these offer notes of high quality QDO, and Upmann. I feel really sorry for people who just blanket ban Cuaba without at least sampling a few Distinguidos and Divinos. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

La Gloria Cubana Revolution 2015 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico SGA Nov 2015

As I wrote in my previous review on this cigar three months ago, the La Gloria Cubana Revolution is an Asia Pacifico Regional Edition release that followed the Diplomaticos Bushidos. Although listed as a 2015 release, like the Bushidos, it didn't hit the market until the following year, in the case of the Revolution, around mid-2016. Following the actualised hype of the Bushidos, this was a tough act to follow. Not unsurprisingly, the Revolution is not as acclaimed as the Bushidos, but reviews haven't been that bad either, flavour-wise.

The last LGC Revolution I had was quite good, after five-and-a-half years the flavours were melding quite nicely, complimented by a gorgeous cake-type texture.

Like last time, I again very much enjoyed the flavours of this cigar, even if I don't much go for the Montesco vitola (i.e. 55 ring gauge x 130 mm or 5⅛ inches in length). With La Gloria Cubana as a marca I find one can experience an array of flavours from the savoury pepper or spice to the neutral wood and nut to the sweet fruit and citrus with a combination of these, often across the spectrum. This LGC Revolution hadn't developed in flavour blend much past the last one I smoked three months ago. I again experienced a complexity of flavours which came together quite nicely; mainly cream coffee, wood, fruit and floral notes with a cake-textured feel on the palate. My initial LGC Revolutions within the first three years had some pepper but there was none evident here.

This was my last La Gloria Cubana Revolution. I have no regrets other than I very much wish I could source more variety within the La Gloria Cubana marca at the present time. Yes, that would be very nice...even if it's a case of wishful thinking!

Smoking one right at this moment and then here it is on your thread also. I'm attaining flavours same as what you have mentioned, though definitely getting some touches of a lemon pepper vest in there as well. Delicious! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 99call said:

Yep, Even when these get touted as the 'best of a bad bunch' they are just so much better than that again. I picked up some LRG DIC 18's as I wanted to indulge in that peanut hit, but kept on having to mutter to myself throughout the 5 or so that I've smoke 'these are so much more than peanut bombs'. I would back up what you've said entirely that these offer notes of high quality QDO, and Upmann. I feel really sorry for people who just blanket ban Cuaba without at least sampling a few Distinguidos and Divinos.

I always appreciate what you have to offer Stefan, in terms of views, knowledge and opinions, on Habanos cigars. Thanks for adding that Cuaba can be more than just a 'one-trick-pony'! 👍

7 hours ago, Chucko8 said:

Smoking one right at this moment and then here it is on your thread also. I'm attaining flavours same as what you have mentioned, though definitely getting some touches of a lemon pepper vest in there as well. Delicious! 

You said that the LGC Revolution was a beautiful cigar in terms of flavours and so what can I say Chuck, other than, you were right! 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Recently fell in love with these. Has quickly become one of my favorite Cohibas, but a little cost prohibitive to smoke very often like i can with my Siglo II's.

Great reviews as always. Very informative and enjoyable to read, and get to read about a lot of smokes that are either very rare to find, or outside my price range so I have only just heard of their existence before, so I can live vicariously through your reviews.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

I wouldn't hesitate to say that this Monte 1, after 105 minutes of smoking time, was only marginally behind the very best Montecristo 80 Aniversarios and Leyendas I've enjoyed in terms of its combination of coffee, cocoa/chocolate and creaminess.

It's a pity the Montecristo No.1 doesn't get more attention from cigar enthusiasts. After all, it's only 10 millimetres (or two-fifths of an inch) longer than a Cohiba Siglo III but a lot better value in terms of price in comparison.

High praise indeed. I think the MC marca is almost my favorite being just a hair behind Cohiba. Factor in cost (Has anyone noticed price hikes recently?) and Monte Cristo is a no brainer for me. They age well and the 42 RG ones are great sizes, the #1,2 and 3 being my favorites. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1