Quintero question???

*According to Theo Rudman's Complete Pocket Guide to Cigars the Quintero Brevas rated 4 Stars and listed as Quintero's best cigar and not easily available. The Nacionales, he rates with 3 Stars, says it's robust, one dimensional, and lacks subtlety. The rest of the line; Londres, Petite Corona, etc. didn't even get a rating! Hope this helps!

28 minutes ago, cigcars said:

*According to Theo Rudman's Complete Pocket Guide to Cigars the Quintero Brevas rated 4 Stars and listed as Quintero's best cigar and not easily available. The Nacionales, he rates with 3 Stars, says it's robust, one dimensional, and lacks subtlety. The rest of the line; Londres, Petite Corona, etc. didn't even get a rating! Hope this helps!

It seems that last edition of that book was published in 2001. At that time most Quinteros were machine made. Since 2002 all the machine made cigars in the premium marcas are now handmade short filler (in Quintero's case) or handmade long filler (as in RyJ and Partagas, etc.).

11 minutes ago, JohnS said:

The other main difference is that the Brevas is still in production while the Nacionales was discontinued in 2019.

Even more odd, both the Nacionales and Brevas are Nacionales vitola but the Tubulares is a Brevas vitola!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, cigcars said:

The rest of the line; Londres, Petite Corona, etc. didn't even get a rating! Hope this helps!

Nor should they. Quintero small offerings aren't much better than peso cigars.

I actually don't mind the Tubulares if you can get them in the $3 range. Perfect fishing/golf cigar. I've actually never had a Favoritos so I'm not sure how they compare but the price on them has been steadily creeping up to over $4 each so I'm way out on those. And JLP has also gotten a bit out of hand since they downsized the bundles from 25 to 12 but didn't reduce the prices nearly as much. 

4 minutes ago, Viva Vegas said:

I disagree, they are better. Just my taste I guess.

Hey, they do sell them. The Londres Extra and Panetelas I've had tasted like old hay that had been peed on by a sick goat. 

But as I said above, I find the Tubulares quite smokeable.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Nor should they. Quintero small offerings aren't much better than peso cigars.

I actually don't mind the Tubulares if you can get them in the $3 range. Perfect fishing/golf cigar. I've actually never had a Favoritos so I'm not sure how they compare but the price on them has been steadily creeping up to over $4 each so I'm way out on those. And JLP has also gotten a bit out of hand since they downsized the bundles from 25 to 12 but didn't reduce the prices nearly as much. 

I don't know $4 for a Petit Robusto is pretty good, not that I enjoy the Favoritos...

Also do you enjoy the $3 Tubulares as much as most cheap and cheerfuls from the other premium marcas? I'd rather spent $4 on a RyJ or Partagas... It's an hour of my life, I can afford the extra dollar :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bijan said:

I don't know $4 for a Petit Robusto is pretty good, not that I enjoy the Favoritos...

Also do you enjoy the $3 Tubulares as much as most cheap and cheerfuls from the other premium marcas? I'd rather spent $4 on a RyJ or Partagas... It's an hour of my life, I can afford the extra dollar :)

I would say at over $4 for a Favoritos I'd rather go with a cheap and cheerful. With the Tubulares they're very cheap, a bit larger than the RyJ or Partagas offerings and a bit stronger which is better for things like fishing or golf or working around the house. 

For anything else, I've been moving away from the cheap & cheerfuls lately. Tough to not choose a good Perlas or Minutos for the same price or $1 more.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bijan said:

Never had a peso cigar, but also never had a short filler handmade Cuban cigar I actually enjoyed... And I think I've tried all of them except JLP.

Peso cigars are a lot better then most non Cuban cigars I have had. That's why I always bring back about 3 bags(75) of them for next to nothing$.

• Like 1

It is always interesting how different folks have different palates.

I have been working through a box of Quintero Panatelas (UGO Sep 17) and enjoy them as basic winter smokes (definitely better than NCs in their price range).

• Like 2

The Brevas is a lot more rough and rustic while the Nacionales is more of a refined if boring blend. Think of a RyJ Cazadorez vs a Lonsdale in terms of blending aims.

I've an old box of the most heavily oil dipped Brevas that are just amazing, but they need a good lay down to take some of the roughness away (For me)

My favourite is still the Tubulares/Panetelas (Same cigar just shoved in an badly fitting tube) as it's got a lot more concentrated flavour, like a Nacionales but turned up. A lot of sweet, basic but good tobacco.

The favoritos are a bit like a mix between the brevas and nacionales for me, they don't blow my socks but for a robusto they beat up the vegeros line and take it's lunch money most days of the week

I'm biased though, the Quintero Panetelas got me into cigars back in the day :spotlight:

• Like 2

Agree with the Captain. While not having smoked their latest offerings, the Nacionales and the Brevas have been quite different blends. Always preferred the Brevas, and at lower pricing to boot. A staple.

As for the Favoritos, I‘ve had the odd one giving a CoRo the literal run for its money. @NSXCIGAR if you haven’t had one yet, I’d wholeheartedly suggest give them an open-minded try.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:40 PM, cigcars said:

We were relaxing with a Tubulares this Summer while making laps around the grounds. We got notes of motor oil, light dust, carbon emissions, ash, fresh grass and weed pollen. Just goes to show Rudman does not know the proper venue to showcase a fine Quintero. 

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

As for the Favoritos, I‘ve had the odd one giving a CoRo the literal run for its money.

A bundle of Favoritos was one of the first CCs I bought.    They were all over the place--many were tasteless, and then just when I was about to give up on them I would get an amazing one that exploded with flavor (as described above).    These are true "do you feel lucky" cigars.  ?

5 hours ago, Fugu said:

As for the Favoritos, I‘ve had the odd one giving a CoRo the literal run for its money. @NSXCIGAR if you haven’t had one yet, I’d wholeheartedly suggest give them an open-minded try.

I've got a couple of Favoritos singles. I'll try them soon, based on your recommendation, hardest part will be keeping an open mind...

8 hours ago, Fugu said:

I don't have anything against them--just the price. I would be pleasantly surprised if they performed above their price point, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to go through 24 duds to get to 1 gem--at least not with this cigar.

7 hours ago, Cairo said:

These are true "do you feel lucky" cigars.  ?

Yep, at around three bucks they are always good for a nice surprise. In particular when given some time to age. But I always found them fairly consistent.

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I don't have anything against them--just the price. I would be pleasantly surprised if they performed above their price point, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to go through 24 duds to get to 1 gem--at least not with this cigar.

They may not be to your liking, can’t say, if you don’t like the rest of the line. It’s certainly up to you if you fear disappointment (don’t blame me! ?). Just seeing that you advise against the Favoritos just out of pricing considerations without actually having smoked one, I find a bit unfair.

For me, solid cigars, excellent value, in particular with some age on them (>5yrs). Their problem is that they aren’t taken seriously.

9 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

We were relaxing with a Tubulares this Summer while making laps around the grounds. We got notes of motor oil, light dust, carbon emissions, ash, fresh grass and weed pollen. Just goes to show Rudman does not know the proper venue to showcase a fine Quintero. 

*Well you know cigar tobacco is highly absorbant.  Are you sure you weren't storing your smokes in the garage or something, where it picked up those aromas and such??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

Just seeing that you advise against the Favoritos just out of pricing considerations without actually having smoked one, I find a bit unfair.

It's a bit unfair, I'll give you that. No question I'm out on a limb on this one but I'll withhold any further comments until I try some. It's got a tough road to hoe to surprise me but I hope it does.

• Haha 1