Video Review - Punch 898 Asia Pacific Regional

MoeFOH

Good job guys!

Complain about marketing, naming and pricing (I certainly do... but am not a target buyer) - in the end it's good to hear they managed to put out a decent cigar! A mediocre one would have been a disservice to the promotion of the format.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fugu said:

...A mediocre one would have been a disservice to the promotion of the format.

It's never stopped them before...

And as good as the RA 898 ER was this appears significantly better. Like this might be the best ER ever. And I'm very happy to see it in a Dalias. I hope the world can see that great things can be done with 42-43 RGs. 

It's been almost 20 years since there's been a great Punch. It's a brand that has really fallen from its lofty status since 2000 so I'm glad it got some love with this release.

This is also very encouraging for the state of the tobacco. Q2 2019 is when we should be seeing the seco from the great 2017 harvest. If the tobacco is even available to make a Punch ER this good than there's surely more where that came from. And we still won't see the ligero until Q2 2020 and the 18 and 19 harvests were also excellent. I think we may indeed be looking at a golden period over the next 2-3 years. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

It's never stopped them before...

And as good as the RA 898 ER was this appears significantly better. Like this might be the best ER ever. And I'm very happy to see it in a Dalias. I hope the world can see that great things can be done with 42-43 RGs. 

It's been almost 20 years since there's been a great Punch. It's a brand that has really fallen from its lofty status since 2000 so I'm glad it got some love with this release.

This is also very encouraging for the state of the tobacco. Q2 2019 is when we should be seeing the seco from the great 2017 harvest. If the tobacco is even available to make a Punch ER this good than there's surely more where that came from. And we still won't see the ligero until Q2 2020 and the 18 and 19 harvests were also excellent. I think we may indeed be looking at a golden period over the next 2-3 years. 

Are you smoking crack? Been great Punch Punch, Punch DCs and even Punch REs during this time. Almost tempted at send you a Punch Emiratos.

14 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Are you smoking crack? Been great Punch Punch, Punch DCs and even Punch REs during this time. Almost tempted at send you a Punch Emiratos.

I'm talking about the perception of the brand, not specifically about the quality of the cigars, but since you bring it up...

Punch Punch have not been great. Been very good since 13 or so, but not great. I've smoked plenty since 13 and they top out at about 92 for me. And they were trash from 03-13. It's also not a popular vitola anymore.

Punch DC is not a popular cigar worldwide. Here, yes, it has its followers. Nowhere near the Lusitanias in sales and Prominentes are just not big sellers in general. Not to mention the DC is fairly limited in production. 

I can't recall any extremely well-received Punch ERs outside of the 05 Superfinos, 08 SdO No. 1 and the 11 Clasicos. Maybe one other (Platino possibly) but punch ERs and ELs have not been that impressive. The SdO No. 2 and Regios were good but again, not great. Very recently yes, the Sir David also and I'm not sure about the La Isla yet. But since 05 it's been few and far between. 

The marca's been decimated. It has no Robustos, no Hermosos No. 4, no Piramides, no Campanas, no Marevas, no Minutos. The Coronations tubos are not very good cigars IMO. Whatever sales Punch has are probably due to lots of Duty Free tubos sales. 

14 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Almost tempted at send you a Punch Emiratos.

I'm game to be persuaded! I can snag a Punch Duke or a Punch Preferidos for you...

14 hours ago, Fugu said:

Based on what exactly?

Obviously it's a premature title but it's the highest rating Ken and Rob have assigned to an ER and there are only a handful that have been this well-received on release. We're talking the legends--ED 109, LESF, RA Phoenicios, Dip Bushidos. It certainly has a shot at being in that group.

20 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Punch DC is not a popular cigar worldwide. Here, yes, it has its followers. Nowhere near the Lusitanias in sales and Prominentes are just not big sellers in general. Not to mention the DC is fairly limited in production.

Always preferred the Punch over the Lusi. Popularity isn't always equating with quality. But basically I agree, Punch has been treated badly by Habanos, with the loss of so many emblematic cigars. But then again couldn't that be said about a lot of others?

20 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Obviously it's a premature title but it's the highest rating Ken and Rob have assigned to an ER and there are only a handful that have been this well-received on release.

Let's face it, you know just as well as me that this is a hint at most. What we have so far is a - granted - intriguing first sampling of a fresh cigar by resident Abbott and Costello (meant with respect! ;)) plus what seems like a couple of folks trying to push hype on a cigar that they haven't even smoked yet.

This cigar still is bound to prove value.

1 hour ago, BuzzArd said:

@El Presidente or @Ken Gargett,

Given they’re fantastic from the offing what do you foresee in their longevity possibilities?    Say, 5-10 years from today?

Give the depth of flavour/richness, I can't wait to try them at the 3 year mark.

There were zero rough edges/harshness in the ones we tried for the review.  Given they were JUN 19, that is an achievement in itself. 

• Like 2

Great review guys ,as always .started my week with a smile ??? Love Punch always have.if like the majority of punches should age well ?

looking forward to trying a couple .....cheers 

7 hours ago, Fugu said:

Always preferred the Punch over the Lusi. Popularity isn't always equating with quality. But basically I agree, Punch has been treated badly by Habanos, with the loss of so many emblematic cigars. But then again couldn't that be said about a lot of others?

Sure, Punch isn't alone there. But I will say that of all the brands neglected by HSA in the last 20 years Punch is probably the one that had the best reputation and highest status. And it's certainly suffered the most cuts to its lineup.

And for the record, I haven't had a Punch DC in many years so I'd of course be interested in sampling one. But compared to the famous Lusi that seems to never be scarce it's probably got 10% of the Lusi's sales if that. 

7 hours ago, Fugu said:

Let's face it, you know just as well as me that this is a hint at most. What we have so far is a - granted - intriguing first sampling of a fresh cigar by resident Abbott and Costello (meant with respect! ;)) plus what seems like a couple of folks trying to push hype on a cigar that they haven't even smoked yet.

This cigar still is bound to prove value.

All true of course. But I always pay attention when the dynamic duo get that excited. I would say this cigar would appear to have a very high ceiling. I'm a regular production kind of guy but I also know that when an ER is special it can be very special. And I love the vitola.

5 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

All true of course. But I always pay attention when the dynamic duo get that excited. I would say this cigar would appear to have a very high ceiling. I'm a regular production kind of guy but I also know that when an ER is special it can be very special. And I love the vitola.

Fair enough, just your use of superiority/superlative, "significantly better" and "best ever" based on n = 2 was what actually made me scratch my head. I don't know anything about them that would entice me to pass a sentence over them. What I know is that I've had quite a few "95-97" regionals before (if I'd be pushed to put a number on them).

Attention may also be given to the fact that these are over a year late. While in recent history such has often been due to a lag in the provision of special packaging and not the cigars themselves I'd venture to guess that these are not exactly fresh cigars....

Anyway, why count chickens before they hatched ...? :cigar:

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

Attention may also be given to the fact that these are over a year late. While in recent history such has often been due to a lag in the provision of special packaging and not the cigars themselves I'd venture to guess that these are not exactly fresh cigars....

Very interesting hypothesis  :thinking:

14 hours ago, Fugu said:

Fair enough, just your use of superiority/superlative, "significantly better"...

The first was specifically in reference to the RA 898. I stand by that in terms of ceiling. I don't recall any feedback for that like Ken & Rob's for the Punch 898 from anyone. The RA 898 might be 95 pointers, but the Punch 898 might be above that right now.

As for me, I can't say I've had an ER over about 95-96 with the Dip Bushidos and RACF being among those. 

14 hours ago, Fugu said:

Attention may also be given to the fact that these are over a year late.

Not sure there's an actual correlation there, although it would be interesting to see if one exists. The HU Propios are finally hitting and what I'm hearing is that they are a bit rough around the edges. 

18 hours ago, Fugu said:

You could be right! They certainly had a fresh aroma at cold that we commented on. That straight from the rollers table aroma. 

On 10/13/2019 at 6:33 PM, crking3 said:

This comment is a little crass....tone it down a bit please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe use google and research ‘sense of humour’.