2019 FOH BLIND TASTING CIGAR NUMBER 1

...now don't panic....you have until September 29 to email Lisa ([email protected]) your pick for cigar number one. 

When you are ready....you can review it here on this thread.  Please do not state what you think it is :D

I will announce what it is on this thread a few days after the closing date. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never tasted a vegan. What are they like? I guess not meaty, not dairy, with a touch of yoga or pilates? ?

The good thing is no matter what strategies and techniques try,  it wont help your chances

Yes, it’s one of 5 possible cigars ?

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

...now don't panic....you have until September 29 to email Lisa ([email protected]) your pick for cigar number one. 

When you are ready....you can review it here on this thread.  Please do not state what you think it is :D

I will announce what it is on this thread a few days after the closing date. :thumbsup:

Honestly you had me panic there Rob  :rotfl:I am looking at my calendar going I am sure he said the 29th Sep 

1 hour ago, juri said:

anyone else waiting to hear a few other "opinions" before they smoke theirs.... idk if its a better idea to go in cold see what i think and smoke it or wait and maybe know what to look for but that might subconscious effect my findings! ARG!

The good thing is no matter what strategies and techniques try,  it wont help your chances

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bummed I missed the registration this year. It's great fun, and difficult.

Good luck all!

On 8/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, SenorPerfecto said:

Mine is FABulous.

LOL, nice.  Any hints?

Have not smoked mine yet as I only received them a few weeks ago. Delivery day was quite warm, and because of this, the cigars were particularly aromatic ROTT. I swear....I SWEAR....the aroma coming from stick #1 was a dead giveaway. I’m very interested in seeing if I pick up the notes that would support my, um, misguided intuition when I smoke it.

I’m fully prepared to be wrong. Sort of.:D

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Have not smoked mine yet as I only received them a few weeks ago. Delivery day was quite warm, and because of this, the cigars were particularly aromatic ROTT. I swear....I SWEAR....the aroma coming from stick #1 was a dead giveaway. I’m very interested in seeing if I pick up the notes that would support my, um, misguided intuition when I smoke it.

I’m fully prepared to be wrong. Sort of.:D

Funny, when I first opened my bag, I was struck by how they all smelled exactly the same lol. I am resting them separate in ziplock baggies to see if that changes anything. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slowsmoke said:

Funny, when I first opened my bag, I was struck by how they all smelled exactly the same lol. I am resting them separate in ziplock baggies to see if that changes anything. 

Yeah, even warmed up and pungent, none of the other sticks gave me any clues by smell...only #1. Wether I’m wrong or right, it only gets harder from here. 

I think there is a good chance that one of these could be a White Owl Reserva EL. With that premise, I will guess White Owl for all 5 to increase my odds of getting one right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2019 at 11:06 PM, Islandboy said:

Yeah, even warmed up and pungent, none of the other sticks gave me any clues by smell...only #1. Wether I’m wrong or right, it only gets harder from here. 

Same here.  Have you had your first yet? Looks like no one's giving away any clues.

Dense smoke and great flavor; a touch of cedar and some pepper. Sweet as someone said above, spice sweetness-- think clove and cinnamon but not so heavy on the latter like some sticks do. I am at a real crossroads as to what it is but I will say it was damn enjoyable. Built some strength into the last third and had a touch of cream from the half-way point. Hmm. Put the thinking cap on. Or better yet, just get a dart board and throw one at five names. 

• Like 1

While I have smoked several examples of each of the 5 candidates, Number 1 was a unique experience. I attribute this in part to the fact that the piramides in my collection have a few years of age, whereas Number 1 is likely from 2018/19.

Number 1 was decidedly savory cigar to my palate.  I did not detect the sweetness that other tasters describe.  

My initial flavor impression was of cream and pepper.  Both elements held through the end of the cigar, with the pepper gaining a bit of cayenne-like spice toward the end. 

A salty, tangy undercurrent developed in the second third.  A bit of cedar crept in the final third.  

The aroma was quite pleasing, with occasional hints of cocoa and hazelnut.  

All in all, Number 1 was good cigar that would likely improve quite a bit with another year or two of age.             

• Like 2

Pre-light has a nice nutty, vegal, with a slight green bell pepper taste on the pallet.

1/3
Right off the bat I'm getting more of what I got on the pre-light just amplified by quite a bit. A lot of nutty, bell pepper flavor with a nice vegan finish. Starting of mild to medium. Toward the end of the first third still holding true to the base notes with a slight sweetness and this thing bounced right up to just over medium body.

2/3
Almost immediately started getting some bakers chocolate mixed with the green pepper and some baking spices. Definitely some creamy sweetness and it has settled in to a nice medium body smoke with a lot of smoke output. Starting to get a little bitter at the end of the second third, going to purge to see if it helps.

3/3
Purging seems to have straightened it out for now. Enjoying this cigar quite a bit and I think ibhave a good idea for what it might be, but I'm guaranteed to be wrong. More of the same from the first two thirds but quickly became bitter again, I'm going to attribute that to it's youth. Great cigar wish it was a little older...66b87c4dacee75215bf23577d3668ad5.jpgbb8d70d98364fb0918e8123196f9aa3f.jpgebd9cb56ba8fa87fccbafe1812784381.jpgb9b0bb9ecfdbdfbb4d8bfc236191af13.jpg519791480643efa190698b5ffd57b8c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lovethehaze said:

11CFBC38-7562-48DA-96B4-5FA3BC3BC84B.thumb.jpeg.896e90003d88d785631df655badbe976.jpeg

Tastes young  to me ... good amount of ammonia ..... but burn is solid 

anybody's guess at this point  

Thanks for taking the plunge!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WoadyCypress said:

Pre-light has a nice nutty, vegal, with a slight green bell pepper taste on the pallet.

1/3
Right off the bat I'm getting more of what I got on the pre-light just amplified by quite a bit. A lot of nutty, bell pepper flavor with a nice vegan finish. Starting of mild to medium. Toward the end of the first third still holding true to the base notes with a slight sweetness and this thing bounced right up to just over medium body.

2/3
Almost immediately started getting some bakers chocolate mixed with the green pepper and some baking spices. Definitely some creamy sweetness and it has settled in to a nice medium body smoke with a lot of smoke output. Starting to get a little bitter at the end of the second third, going to purge to see if it helps.

3/3
Purging seems to have straightened it out for now. Enjoying this cigar quite a bit and I think ibhave a good idea for what it might be, but I'm guaranteed to be wrong. More of the same from the first two thirds but quickly became bitter again, I'm going to attribute that to it's youth. Great cigar wish it was a little older..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nice review!  You probably helped narrow down the choices to 2...

• Like 1

I rarely smoke piramides in general because 80% of the ones I smoke end up plugged. I was recently in Nashville and stumbled upon some 13 year old Davidoff Special Bs (belicosos), of which I smoked many; of those I smoked, 0 were plugged. I may be back on the torpedo train.

I started this off by first looking at the wrapper, inspecting color, etc. I don't know how much this will help me, because last time I got the sampler I think I got very few correct if any. I then measure length and ring gauge and then cut (straight cut always for me) and smoke.

From the color of the wrapper and size alone I had a hunch as to what I was looking at. I spent the last few years smoking just about every marca's petit corona, so I'd like to say I have an inkling as to what profiles go with what marca. Smoking it confirmed what I was thinking... We'll see if I fooled myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1