You can trade one trait/stereotype/custom from your country and adopt something from another

American here.  I'd trade away our love of big chains like Walmart and horrendous restaurants like TGIFridays, Ruby Tuesdays etc. away in a heartbeat.  

I'd be content with adopting kilts as acceptable style.  95 degrees and humid?  Definitely wearing a kilt to the office.

Id trade away the american trend of the extended family unit not gathering together on a regular basis to share a meal...and replace it with what is still customary in many countries...a meal amongst aunts, uncles, cousins, on a very regular basis. For me growing up in an Italian family here in the united states we would have multiple meals every week with my extended family...it was a great childhood in that regard.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mbflash80 said:

Id trade away the american trend of the extended family unit not gathering together on a regular basis to share a meal...and replace it with what is still customary in many countries...a meal amongst aunts, uncles, cousins, on a very regular basis. For me growing up in an Italian family here in the united states we would have multiple meals every week with my extended family...it was a great childhood in that regard.

So true. Italian also. After my mom passed away, my aunt invited my brothers and I for a home cooked meal.  My cousin brought his wife and two kids. The food was exactly what we used to have at gatherings as kids. It was like travelling back in time. Best part?  Open invitation for the next meals and my aunt is 10 minutes away. ?

• Like 2

I like the extended family one mentioned above. Also American. 

I would trade obesity for the mainland European custom of walking everywhere. Not only do you get exercise regularly but being out in the community strengthens familiarity and connection with those around you in a way cruising the highway in your car does not. 

• Like 2

Having a drive-thru for everything from crappy food to banking has become a disgusting American habit that only leads to more disgusting behaviour. I’d like to see open markets everywhere, complete with a few health hazards to keep everyone’s immune system functioning properly. 

• Like 3

Can I please surrender the Brits’ unique self-deprecating snobbery:

“We’re crap, but still somehow better than everyone else”

And swap it for American optimism? 

“We’re a decade behind the Russians in the space race: let’s go to the moon.”

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Having a drive-thru for everything from crappy food to banking has become a disgusting American habit that only leads to more disgusting behaviour. I’d like to see open markets everywhere, complete with a few health hazards to keep everyone’s immune system functioning properly. 

Yeah, you know you've taken that too far when you have drive-thru funerals.

"Sorry Aunt Petunia, can't park the car for your funeral. I'm taking the kids to Disney World this weekend."

<drives up to viewing window> "Hi, we're here for the Thompson viewing... oh, and could I also get a large fries and jumbo Coke? Thanks."

The culture of working all the time.  I want to take August off, like in some European countries.  A mid-day siesta would be nice too.

Hear, hear! The world has become obsessed with working longer hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, GP said:

Hear, hear! The world has become obsessed with working longer hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always a sign of a terrible boss - insisting their people occupy their office chair for 40hrs/wk.

Do the job.  Do what it takes to do the job.  If you can do it by working only 4hrs/day, then more power to you.

4 hours ago, RyviaUSA said:

Always a sign of a terrible boss - insisting their people occupy their office chair for 40hrs/wk.

Do the job.  Do what it takes to do the job.  If you can do it by working only 4hrs/day, then more power to you.

40 hours a week would be a vacation for me.  I work double that.  

I have a terrible boss.  A mean, nasty, slave driving, son of a bitch.  Unfortunately, there is no escaping him.  He has followed me to every job I have ever had.  He even comes on vacations with me.  On the rare occasion when I can make it to one of my kid’s school functions, there he is, right there with me.

Look, I’m not the guy you responded to, but he was just agreeing with my post.  And I think you misunderstand.  I work a lot because I want to.  Tomorrow, I could decide to cut my hours in half, and make half as much money.  But, I love what I do, and I like to be able to afford nice things.  

I often wonder if it is worth it though, and I am certainly a bit jealous of the European life/work balance.  That is all I was saying.

Just to clarify...

I’m an American. I have a pretty good life. I wouldn’t change a thing. 

I am grateful for what I have and don’t feel the need to complain. Others have it much worse. 

Stereotypes are overrated. 

1 minute ago, Shelby07 said:

“I’m an American” was a point of clarification,  not one of arrogance. Sorry if it was misinterpreted. 

Uh, not at all - I'm first generation American - my reply was Hell Yeah!

Three of my siblings were born in Manchester, England. Whenever they would try to screw with me, I'd remind them of that fact. It would piss them off to no end. They stopped trying to screw with me.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 5:45 AM, Islandboy said:

Always cracks me up when the drive through is jammed but one can walk into a bank or even Maccas (McDonalds) and there’s no line! I personally find drive through weddings efficient though, gonna hit up the ‘walk through wedding chapel’ in Honolulu soon.

• Haha 1