Cruise Ship Cigar Lounges

The below came across my desk.

I don't know why but it never occured to me of cigar lounges on cruise ships. 

Have any of you partaken?

It's an advertising blurb but with some detail :thumbsup:

Cigar aficionados rejoice! These cruise ship cigar lounges will become your new favorite thing!

Cigar lounges have played an important role in American history from cinema appearances to private lounges in major cities enjoyed by many. Cigars have always been classier than cigarettes and lounges dedicated to the cigar smoker bring up thoughts of leather chairs, a relaxed atmosphere, and one’s favorite alcoholic beverage. As in the past, today’s cigar aficionados talk and learn about cigars, share stories, and enjoy a good smoke during their visit to cigar lounges. For those that enjoy a fine cigar and cruises: are you aware there are a number of cruise ship cigar lounges?

These classic spaces are specifically designed for cigar smokers. The true cigar aficionado will immensely enjoy the experience of a cruise ship cigar lounge and will be especially thrilled combining said experience with sights of cigar rollers and history in port stops throughout the Caribbean. CruiseExperts.com has all the information on cruise ships that go to Cuba, Puerto Rico, and other Caribbean destinations where cigars are prevalent, as well as other sailings that have cruise ship cigar lounges available.

Cruise Ship Cigar Lounges

Here at CruiseExperts.com, we want to provide our clients with all the information they need to plan the perfect cruise so we have put together a list of popular cruises with cigar lounges.

• The Holland America Line’s cruise ship Noordam provides the Oak Room for cigar and pipe smokers only.
  • Cunard’s offers Churchill’s comfortable cigar lounge on Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth, and the Queen Victoria. Both Cuban and Dominican cigars are available for purchase.
  • The MSC Divina has a large beautiful cigar lounge with comfortable seating, large windows, and a bar where you can purchase your favorite beverage to enjoy while you smoke.
  • Royal Caribbean offers the Connoisseur Club on the Freedom of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, and Liberty of the Seas for their cigar-smoking guests.
  • Norwegian Cruise Lines provides its guest on the Bliss, Joy, Escape, Getaway, and Epic ships with a Humidor room to enjoy their cigars. You can purchase cigars in the lounge.
  • Princess Cruise lines has a Churchill’s lounge where guests can relax and enjoy premium cigars in comfort.
  • Regent Seven Seas has a Connoisseur Club, which is a cigar and cognac lounge. Once the ship is in international waters, Cuban cigars are also available.
  • Crystal also offers a comfortable Connoisseur Club for cigars and cognac where you can purchase premium brands.
  • Silversea’s Connoisseur Corner invites guests to enjoy cigars and cognac while seated in very comfortable low-slung leather chairs.

Cigar lounges on the ships that provide them are comfortable and cozy, provide a relaxing atmosphere, premium brands of cigars, and allow you to bring in your favorite beverages to complete the setting. Most have darker masculine decorative tones and some feature wood and leather. They are reminiscent of the private men’s clubs of the last century. Cruise lines try to provide special comforts for all their guests, and cigar lounges are appreciated by many.

cruise ship cigar lounges

• Like 2

I only ever went on one cruise (Norwegian to Alaska) and was excited to hear that the ship I was on had a cigar lounge.  When I boarded I discovered they'd just closed it, which was rather a disappointment to say the least. 

Only cruise I've done was with the wife's family on the RC Mariner a few years back.

Cigar lounge was nice though quiet. Had the place to myself most nights.

We had the drink package so open to anything on the bar available no additional cost. That's the way to go if you tipple as the cost adds up quickly by the drink.

Anyway, it was quite nice and I wouldn't go on a cruise without the option of being able to have a cigar.

The late night family crew always knew where to find me and most ended up there late night to hang out.

Met a couple of other "aficionados" along the way, pretty interesting conversations from differing perspectives on the hobby.

Brought my own so didn't peruse the humidor.

Aside from top deck starboard along the stacks, only place you could smoke on the ship besides our balcony. While cigarettes are OK and an ashtray provided, not supposed to smoke cigars there.

Quite breezy so doubt anyone would notice if you did ;)

They're definitely a thing though I hear they're being phased out on several lines. Probably due to the lack of interest.

Last night out asked for another Macallan and the bartender informed I'd pretty much finished the 1L on my own...

If you are going to take a cruise definitely take one with a lounge and a package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been on a Princess cruise ship and the cigar lounge was small, about 10 people could fit in comfortably. It had a few cigar decorations and pictures but the only people that used it were cigarette smokers.

Last state for me to travel thru was Alaska.  Girlfriend wanted to do a cruise I said I'd go if they had a cigar lounge on the ship.  Lo~n~behold she found one!  Probably seated 10 comfortably.....we had a minimum of  20 for the herf at any given time.  One time it was standing room only. ?  No less than 4 times on the cruise we set the fire alarm off and the fire marshal showed up.  They were very under equipped to evac the smoke.  We may have been the reason they shut her down when DEEG showed up!  :unknown:

• Haha 2

I’d like to know how old this article is. If current, I’m really surprised to hear there are that many lines that offer a lounge for cigar smokers. Prior to our last cruise I searched in vain for a line and ship that offered an enclosed true cigar lounge. You’re more likely to find a “room” for cigarette smokers where cigars are banned. That’s what I found on a cruise to Cuba last year on an Oceania ship. Cigar smokers were given an outdoor open air “lounge” adjacent to the pool. Patio furniture, heat, and humidity while the air conditioned enclosed cigarette smokers lounge sat empty most of the time. 

Edited to add: I found the article on their website. It is from March, so it is current info. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Corona said:

Last state for me to travel thru was Alaska.  Girlfriend wanted to do a cruise I said I'd go if they had a cigar lounge on the ship.  Lo~n~behold she found one!  Probably seated 10 comfortably.....we had a minimum of  20 for the herf at any given time.  One time it was standing room only. ?  No less than 4 times on the cruise we set the fire alarm off and the fire marshal showed up.  They were very under equipped to evac the smoke.  We may have been the reason they shut her down when DEEG showed up!  :unknown:

Nice, now I know who to thank for seeing a whale spouting while smoking a cigar on the promenade deck!

• Haha 1

The big Norwegian ships have nice cigar lounges in them. I sailed on the Getaway and its lounge easily accommodated a dozen people. It was located close to a bar, so getting drinks delivered was easy, especially when you tip the waiter nicely on the first day ;) . Almost every night, I ran into the same people. It was a nice experience. 

Nieuw Statendam had a section for smoking outside at the stern. Comfortable couches, but could be a bit windy. Ran into one other cigar smoker.

Regal Princess [Churchill Room] was nicely decorated, but ventilation was mediocre; found myself enjoying more secondhand cigarette smoke than anything else. 

MSC Armonia has an indoor cigar lounge. It probably seats 8 comfortably. I didn’t utilize it as the weather in the Caribbean in late April 2019 was fantastic and cigarette smokers tended to hangout there the most. I did see a few cigar smokers and pipe smokers in there though. It was on the 5th level right next to a bar for added convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those going on a Disney cruise, do not despair.  While all four ships in the fleet have designated smoking decks, two of them (Dream and Fantasy) have dedicated outdoor lounges.  A portion of the lounge is covered by the above deck and the seating and drink service is excellent.

It's not ever very crowded and I've chased off a large non-smoking party who was using it as a meeting place - they moved off without a word as they knew it was a dedicated cigar area. ☺️

I have been to the connoisseur club on Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas.  All the freedom class ships for Royal Caribbean used to have the connoisseur club, but sadly on the Independence of the Seas it was replaced by a library.  I have always enjoyed smoking in the connoisseur club.  It has big comfy chairs and a pretty good selection of drinks to pair with your cigar.  A lot of times I've had the place all to myself, or with one other person.  It is a great place relax onboard the ship.  They do have a smallish but decent selection of cigars available for purchase.  We have always embarked from a US port so all cigars available for purchase through the connoisseur club were of a decidedly non-Cuban derivation.  

I've been on several princess cruises, all had a "Churchill's".  Some are quite small, poor ventilation, and were normally filled up with chain smoking cigarette smokers in which case I'd smoke on deck.

Now, the SAPPIRE Princess has a beautiful Churchills!    More of a bar / lounge atmosphere with TVs. Only a couple cigarette smokers. Very very nice.

As for smoking on deck - on some of the ships cigarette smoking (in the smoking areas) is "ok", but cigars is a no-no.   I was confronted by a staff member on one ship. I was happily enjoying a martini and a stick in the "smoking area". I was told cigars aren't allowed. Go figure - I'm outside, its breezy, people are chain smoking cigarettes and I can't have a cigar???

ANYWAYS - I told the staff member to get their manager. I told the manager that if he went down and kicked out all the chain smoking cigarette smokers out of the cigar lounge, I would go there. Then I asked "what harm am I doing?".  He had no answer, but we came to an agreement that I could smoke in that area, but if anyone complained I'd have to move. ALL of the cigarette smokers who heard our chat came over and said they had no problem with me and my cigars and I made some friends.

Some people just don't get it - the pleasure of a fine cigar.

• Like 1

Ill echo most of the previous sentiments.  I was on the Norwegian Pearl headed to Alaska.  The room could fit about ten people sitting.  It seemed that the same eight cigarette smokers had basically taken up camp in that room and would actually tag each other out in order to maintain control of the chairs.  The ventilation was rather piss poor, and you would leave smelling of cigarette smoke.  Good luck trying to have a waiter/barback come to that room, despite it being right next to a rather large bar and piano area.  

I was on the Royal Caribbean cruise when they still had the cigar lounge, it was a very good experience. The lounge was decked in solid wood panels, nice leather sofas, and there were bowls of strawberries and snacks around. I really enjoyed it. However, I thought they had eliminated the cigar lounges. The last couple of cruises I took did not have a cigar lounge so I mostly smoked on my balcony or on top deck. 

The Royal Caribbean Cruise I went on in December 2018 in the West Caribbean seas (Haiti private beach at Labadee, Jamaica and Mexico) did not have a Cigar Lounge. My upcoming Celebrity Solstice Cruise I've booked around the Pacific also doesn't have a cigar lounge. Smoking was (and will be) on deck balconies.

My Royal Caribbean Cruise to New Zealand in late 2013 did have a small, quaint cigar lounge.

I have to say that the cigar lounge on the Royal Carribbean Mariner was quite large and very nice. Had a stage where they had a jazz band playing at times.

Not packed with cigarette smokers, at least until my posse arrived ;)

Well appointed bar and a personal bartender. Hope they still have it as I'd cruise again with a proper itinerary on that ship

Seems like a lot of the cruise lines are phasing cigar lounges out. I’ve decided that I’m not a ‘big boat’ cruiser, so my smokes on an upcoming Maine/Nova Scotia cruise will be outside when the wind permits. Regardless, I’m taking a healthy stock with me!

Even on a quick cruise to Havana a couple of years ago there was nowhere other than smoking areas to light up and marches were in short supply. However after our stop on the island, the outside decks turned into a Smokey rum-filled party...especially since they weren’t checking for alcohol brought back onboard since passengers were ‘on their honor’

On 6/5/2019 at 8:51 AM, SmokinNukie said:

MSC Armonia has an indoor cigar lounge. It probably seats 8 comfortably. I didn’t utilize it as the weather in the Caribbean in late April 2019 was fantastic and cigarette smokers tended to hangout there the most. I did see a few cigar smokers and pipe smokers in there though. It was on the 5th level right next to a bar for added convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my experience as well. Only went to the lounge once due to the cigarette chain smoking windbags.

If anyone get the chance I can really recommend trying to catch the V&A's  "Ocean Liners - Speed and Style"   exhibition.    I had no idea how ridiculously grand these ships used to be,   it was a real eye opener.  

I don't think they will ever be as grand again.    I've thrown in an image of Keith's 'Ramon Allones Cunardos"   handily in glass tubes so they don't get wet. What and unbelievable find......hats off to him

MER_WGM_4387.jpg

223.jpg

81a4af89eee98775ebeea43e8f3ff233.jpg

Screenshot 2019-06-11 at 11.23.36.png

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 10:09 PM, Habana Mike said:

I have to say that the cigar lounge on the Royal Carribbean Mariner was quite large and very nice. Had a stage where they had a jazz band playing at times.

Not packed with cigarette smokers, at least until my posse arrived ;)

Well appointed bar and a personal bartender. Hope they still have it as I'd cruise again with a proper itinerary on that ship

I just read that it has been replaced with a library. No more cigar lounge on the ship. 

Last cruise I went on (Carnival) had a Havana Lounge or Havana Bar or something like that...NO CIGARS!!!  I think  it was the old cigar lounge they were in the process of phasing out.  It was all TVs tuned to sports.