Most recent purchases you don't care for.....and recent purchases that you adore.

Lusitania, Punch Punch, Connie 1, JL2, Connie A all smoking well relatively young.

HdM DC, great cigar but has to be well rested for my palate.

Been fortunate, the last bad box I had, was before I found FOH. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Parti P2s have not be doing it for me, even though these are supposed to be the best they have been in years PL Picadores I have not been able to keep my hands off of though, even though I've hea

The small RyJ offerings aren't really top quality. I smoke either the Belvederes or Regalias de Londres as an everyday cheap and cheerful but honestly I'm about to kick them to the curb for PLP or RG

Most recent purchases you don't care for. Box of Sancho Panza Molinos: they taste like they have been left out of the humidor for a decade.....in a desert.    Recent purchases that you adore

Recent Don’t Care For:

2017 Juan Lopez No. 1 - Tent poles that go out halfway through

Recent Adore:

#1 - 2015 Sancho Panza Non Plus

#2 - 2014 Rafael Gonzalez Perla

#3 - 2017 Por Larrañaga Montecarlos

I have a box of nearly every regular production marca.  Of them all, I am only disappointed in my 2015 PSP Saint Luis Rey Regio.  Only maybe 1-2 have been enjoyable, all the others have had no flavor.

Disappointed:

H upmann mag 46 TES OCT 16. 

Monte 2 MEG SEP 15

Amazing:

Partagas serie D4 EBM AGO 17

Im really hoping the H upmann comes through in a few years. I hear they need some time on them. Haven’t had a good one in the box and only have about 15 left. 

- I've tried to like a box of EOT SEP 16 Por Larrañaga Picadores, but just haven't. I've put the remaining dozen in storage for a couple of years in the hope of a blossoming at the 5y mark.
+RyJ Cazadores ORG MAR 16 won't last til the end of the summer.
+ Party Shorts at almost any age or code and 4y+ RG Perlas
+ HdM E1 PUS OCT 17 in the same boat as the Cazzies

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Akela3rd said:

- I've tried to like a box of EOT SEP 16 Por Larrañaga Picadores, but just haven't. I've put the remaining dozen in storage for a couple of years in the hope of a blossoming at the 5y mark 

I’m in exactly the same half-box-remaining boat of EDT Ago 16 Picadores (need to look again at code, maybe it’s actually EOT). No love to be found, and tucked away with high hopes of a miracle in the future.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:11 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Can't recall a bust box lately outside of a box of SOM MAR 16 RyJ Coronitas en Cedros. Not horrible, just didn't like them. One sided wood. Like smoking a piece of plywood. No RyJ DNA. Several were plugged.

17/18 has been quite good overall for me. El Principe, Connie 1, MdO4, Famosos, PLMC, Lusi have all been solid.

I am super new to CC besides 2 I smoked several years ago someone brought back from vacation I have been buying and smoking them for less than a year.  I purchased a box of RyJ Corinitas en Cedros last year with box code RAU SEP 16.  The first one which was smoked about 2 weeks after I received themstarted to unravel about 1/3 of the way in.   It was very strong and one dimensional.   The last third I gave up smoking it because it was totally plugged up and had a weird hard spot in it.   It burned absolutely horrible.  I just smoked the 3rd one I this afternoon.   It definitely is still fairly strong and one dimensional.   Everyone rates these as Medium strength but I would give them Medium full.  I don't see them turning into Caramel sticks like a PLPC ?.   Everything else I have smoked that has sat at least 30 days has been a lot better.

Only tangentially tobacco related but I have tried to ST Dupont Red adaptors so I can avoid buying their gas and neither has worked at all. 

On the other hand I am super impressed with the newest Dupont lighter I bought: Le Grand

Cigar-wise I will never get over thinking the cigar I bought through the host is bigger than it is in real life. I don't pay much attention and don't have the experience to remember the size of each. when I crack a box of what appear to be cigarillos I am always taken aback. 

The opposite happened when I opened my 50 cab of HDMDC earlier this week. GLORIOUS 

On 5/4/2019 at 12:07 PM, BeerPimp said:

I am super new to CC besides 2 I smoked several years ago someone brought back from vacation I have been buying and smoking them for less than a year.  I purchased a box of RyJ Corinitas en Cedros last year with box code RAU SEP 16.  The first one which was smoked about 2 weeks after I received themstarted to unravel about 1/3 of the way in.   It was very strong and one dimensional.   The last third I gave up smoking it because it was totally plugged up and had a weird hard spot in it.   It burned absolutely horrible.  I just smoked the 3rd one I this afternoon.   It definitely is still fairly strong and one dimensional.   Everyone rates these as Medium strength but I would give them Medium full.  I don't see them turning into Caramel sticks like a PLPC ?.   Everything else I have smoked that has sat at least 30 days has been a lot better.

The small RyJ offerings aren't really top quality. I smoke either the Belvederes or Regalias de Londres as an everyday cheap and cheerful but honestly I'm about to kick them to the curb for PLP or RG Perlas. Stick with those 2 and you can't go wrong. 

• Like 2

Not good: Fonseca #1 from 2015 or 2016, I'd have to dig the box out to confirm. They just are blah, no really interesting flavors or complexity. Seems like smoking cardboard..too bad.

Really good: ERDM Gran Corona from 2000. Not really strong but, super complex with flavors of coconut and marzipan all day long!!

On 5/3/2019 at 10:08 PM, ElReyDel757 said:

I have a box of nearly every regular production marca.  Of them all, I am only disappointed in my 2015 PSP Saint Luis Rey Regio.  Only maybe 1-2 have been enjoyable, all the others have had no flavor.

I just revisited my 2015 PSP Saint Luis Rey Regios & this 1 was excellent, so maybe I had 4 duds from the box so far.  Hopefully the rest will be excellent.  I know these are 1 of the smokes that are absolutely best young, but will ageing them dramatically reduce their quality?  My SLR are coming up on 4 years old.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:20 PM, Justin said:

I have yet to have a P2 that I even wanted to finish, much less enjoyed. 

RASS have been pure bliss!

Me neither until I smoked 2018's from Partagas Factory. 

Thumbs up on all the recent Upmanns - and I do mean all.  Echoing comments on the Connie A, its really an experience, the kind if cigar you turn your hand to look at and say to yourself now thats a good cigar!  Biggest surprise was the Picadores which I ha no expectations for but really enjoyed.

Haven't had a bad cigar from a 2018 box.  Partagas Presidentes was interesting, not really my thing, but not bad.  The last truly terrible cigar was an Exhibition #4 from 2015.  Aged ammonia with nuances of charcoal briquette.  

On 5/3/2019 at 4:39 PM, TBird55 said:

Lusitania, Punch Punch, Connie 1, JL2, Connie A all smoking well relatively young.

I’ve smoked 3 out of a 6-pack in as many weeks. MSU ‘18 box code.  All plugged and sucky.  I wish my experiences lived up to the rep on these, but oh-for-three so far. 

Adore 

BBF. Just amazing no where near as overwhelming as expected, just a perfect stick. 

Disappointed

hdm elegantes. Very blah but young so I’ll keep hope alive  

On 5/8/2019 at 2:26 PM, ElReyDel757 said:

I just revisited my 2015 PSP Saint Luis Rey Regios & this 1 was excellent, so maybe I had 4 duds from the box so far.  Hopefully the rest will be excellent.  I know these are 1 of the smokes that are absolutely best young, but will ageing them dramatically reduce their quality?  My SLR are coming up on 4 years old.

Just finished a box of '15s. They were still great. They still had that fruity edge and the astringent youthfulness had fully resolved itself. Obviously there were a handful of duds, as there are in every single box I've ever smoked. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Nekhyludov

Don't care for: ABO ENE 18 RAG. They're not bad, but they're just not ready yet.

Adore: MSU OCT 18 LGC Orgulloso RE Swiss. The first couple have been spectacular right from the jump.

22 minutes ago, Nekhyludov said:

Don't care for: ABO ENE 18 RAG. They're not bad, but they're just not ready yet.

Adore: MSU OCT 18 LGC Orgulloso RE Swiss. The first couple have been spectacular right from the jump.

Orgulloso's?...you pedo!...those are not of legal age yet. Just kidding but RE's usually need some time down. 

Guest Nekhyludov
Just now, jackupster said:

Orgulloso's?...you pedo!...those are not of legal age yet. Just kidding but RE's usually need some time down. 

I absolutely agree! The first one I smoked was barely two months old. Aside from farm rolls that I picked up at the actual fincas in PdR, it was the freshest cigar I've ever smoked. But everyone was bugging me to let them know how I thought they were, so I took one for the team. :lol: But, also, it turned out to be really good.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:36 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

The small RyJ offerings aren't really top quality. I smoke either the Belvederes or Regalias de Londres as an everyday cheap and cheerful but honestly I'm about to kick them to the curb for PLP or RG Perlas. Stick with those 2 and you can't go wrong. 

The Punch Petite Coronations on the other hand are amazing.   Holy cow for a short smoke they are my favorite.   I gave some to my friend that I split boxes of cigars with goes crazy for them.  I have a PLPC that I need to try.   How do the PLP and PLPC compare?   ALso I will have to try RG Perlas some time.

29 minutes ago, BeerPimp said:

The Punch Petite Coronations on the other hand are amazing.   Holy cow for a short smoke they are my favorite.   I gave some to my friend that I split boxes of cigars with goes crazy for them.  I have a PLPC that I need to try.   How do the PLP and PLPC compare?   ALso I will have to try RG Perlas some time.

Of the three tubed Punch offerings I think the Petit Coronations are the best. I think the Royal Coronations (discontinued) are the weakest. The Coronations are in the middle. 

Unfortunately, the price point on these puts them a bit higher than my cheap and cheerful limit. If I'm over $100 I'm going with El Principe or RASCC.

The PLP is very tasty. Certainly less complex than the PLPC but can be enjoyed a few years sooner. And the price point is excellent. I would avoid the RG Panetelas however. The PLP is a step above them in terms of quality even though they seem like twins.

The RG Perlas are about the highest quality cigar you can get at that price point.