Notre-Dame Cathedral

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

I, like many others, spent the afternoon watching a live feed of the awful fire at Notre-Dame. It's incredibly sad to see such destruction of a beautiful and historic global icon.

142056769_51b985f9-226e-4ecf-9596-ba4821e79d902.jpg.3f8293d5cea8256d139d71d524ea19c2.jpg

Years ago I fell in love with Quai d'Orsay while sitting on the steps outside of Shakespeare and Co. across the river from the Cathedral, watching the lights cast shadows across the buttresses. I always made a point of attending Mass at Notre-Dame whenever I was in Paris. Part of my enjoyment of QdO is nostalgia for those times. 

So tonight seems like a good time to light an Imperiales and recall the time I was able to enjoy the beauty of the place, and to look forward to the next chapter in its history.

IMG_20190415_205250.thumb.jpg.9696518bd231bfa8c0446c1d13aa40a4.jpg

I attended a mass there about ten years ago.  An incredibly moving experience given the history and grandeur `of the building and all that it’s withstood over the centuries.  I hope they’re able to rebuild and haven’t lost too many of the artifacts.  And I hope they’re able to convincingly prove it accidental because there’ll be hell to pay if it wasn’t.  

• Like 1

absolute tragedy. hopeful not too much lost and that they can rebuild. 

visited many times, although only ever went inside on one occasion, many many years ago. on the family holiday and we were in paris around christmas/new year. wandering around inside the cathedral, i saw people all lighting candles. so i lit a candle. my knowledge of religion is minimal, to put it nicely, and i had no idea one was suppose to pay to light the candle (still beyond me why one does that) but the look-could-kill i got from some "official" was enough to tell me i had somehow transgressed. so i scurried out with someone yelling at me to cough up. for a candle that i could not even take with me? not likely. 

mentioned this to my mother when we were all outside. she is reasonably religious (CofE) but was brought up in a house where catholics were considered on a level lower than toe fungus. she was not too bad about that stuff but my grandmother was immovable (folau could have added catholics to his list and that still would not have been good enough for grandma). i was so oblivious to all that, that i did not even twig that this was a catholic cathedral, and nor could i have cared less. but mum was truly mortified i'd lit a candle. that was my eternal soul gone. have always remembered the old place fondly. but never been game to set foot inside again (too worried there might be 'wanted' posters on the walls inside). 

hoping for the best for it. 

• Like 1

A terrible loss for Western history and religious art. That structure goes back 800 years.  The religious history and artifacts are irreplaceable including what Catholics believe to be the crown of thorns from the crucifixion.  

I’m glad that @Nekhyludov came clean and admitted his cigar was the culprit.  Ken and I will light a candle for you Joe.  

• Like 1

A terrible thing. Thankfully, as we learned with York Minster and Windsor Castle, there are many wonderfully talented and dedicated craftspeople who possess the skills to restore these magnificent monuments to their best.

• Like 1

I was listening to an interview with British author Ian McEwan on the radio at work this morning.

He was saying how he found it heartening that even the most anti-EU of the British tabloids and media had pictures of this on their front pages this morning, empathizing with the French and basically stating how we have all lost something in this fire.

If something good was to come out of this, it's the realization that there are times when we can all agree on some things.

9 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Yes, every time I make sure that the repair can cause more damage than good. It's time to ban wooden scaffolding for repairs.

Definitely not wooden scaffolding as it would have burnt in the fire. Still relatively intact this morning. Once the fire got going in the wooden rafters almost impossible to stop. 

As a conservator myself, I have to agree with the frustrations some have already shared about 'accidents' occurring whilst restoration/conservation is already underway. 

I worked on the Cafe Royal after the "grill room" (where Oscar Wilde used to dine) had gone up in flames.    I later found out, that prior to the fire happening (and my involvement) the "grill room" had a seperate listing classification, and those planning the works were being held over a barrel because of this.   Hey presto a week weeks later a very instant fire (that was contained in the grill room happened)...........funny that.......how convenient.       I hope my cynical outlook on this isn't the case, but you cant help but wonder 

The Cutty Sark, Uppark, Glasgow School of Art, i'm sure there are many more.   all more than a little dodgy if you ask me. 

Anyone interested in conservation information recording, check out this video and Factum-Arte's website.     If you want to visit anything in the flesh, I would do so in the next 20yrs, as it will increasingly be a thing of the past

It's a real shame, in our time and age, that not all the security measures are put in place to avoid disasters like this. As if terrorist attacks aren't enough to destroy important historical and cultural landmarks. ?

• Like 1