FOHrensics Ep 2: Which drink pairs best with a cigar?

Ferrero

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grab a cigar and your favourite drink...       

My preferred beverage 

So I decided to do my own experiment and see if it was just Orange Juice or if other Orange drinks or other Juices made a difference when smoking a cigar.  I paired it with a cigar I've smoked qu

6 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

...but glad Coffee is still a good pairing as I normally have that with most of my cigars.

That made me laugh.  Uhh, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks lol.  If you like your cigars with coffee then that's all that matters.

I'm a Coca-Cola with my cigars type through and through.  Can only, poured high over cubed ice so that just the right amount of carbonation is released.  I like strong cigars and Coke perfectly compliments, for me.  I only sip to keep my pallet fresh.  It's the only time I drink anything else besides water and morning coffee.  Cigars with: Coffee bleh, Beer bleh, Juice bleh.  I don't drink liquor.  Coke (or water) it is.  ?  ?

OJ? Didn’t see that coming. I have occasional opportunities for an Un interrupted morning smoke. This will go on the menu for a try. I Usually go with mineral water for a first stick out of new box. Great video. I like that you guys went back to top three finishers into last 3rd nub. Brilliant. 

3 hours ago, Psiman said:

Vintage Port of over 20 years would be better than the Muscat. Sauterne is also great. My favorite may be Jin Jun Mei Chinese black tea. Cigar and alcohol pairings I've done, none better than old vintage Ports. The complexity is ridiculous.  I would like to see a tea pairing contest on FOH

Now you got me researching ports. Any suggestions? I think a 20- 40 year tawny maybe is what I’m after, I’m reading that age in the barrel gives a port a nutty aroma. Maybe I’ll pull the trigger on Taylor Fladgate 20 or 30 year. How does tayler compare to the other brands? Again, I know nothing about ports just started browsing around reading after reading your post.

Orange juice makes sense in a weird way. In Cuba citrus cocktails rule, albeit mostly made with lime. I’ll happily drink a well made Daiquiri with a cigar on a warm evening. I’m curious to try some orange juice cocktails now, maybe a Blood & Sand or a Tequila Sunrise to see how they stack up.  

I recently read a great great article about the history of the Canchánchara cocktail if anyone’s interested. I’ll be trying out this recipe over the weekend, but I’m guessing my Oaxacan Aguardiente will be too funky for pairing. 

https://punchdrink.com/articles/original-cuban-cocktail-canchanchara-recipe/

Good stuff gents (except for Steve-O hogging the conversation), and great to see Smithy on deck :clap:

Couple of thoughts / questions:

Any "palate" cleansing between beverages?

How hoppy was the beer?

I'm another who doesn't care for gin with cigars - far too astringent.

Perhaps it was the lighting, but the rosé resembled motor oil

Time for a new flag!

Peace - C45

P.S. Stevie-O, most MoHFoH, 'tis marathon weekend.... I don't hold grudges..... :lookaround:

yeah not surprised, I've tried just about everything with cigars. OJ is up there but i prefer the type of sweetness from a good port. The other thing is the OJ won't do as well with some other cigars, the port will. at least that's what I've found.

4 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Good stuff gents (except for Steve-O hogging the conversation), and great to see Smithy on deck :clap:

We can't keep Steve quiet. Smithy is on his 6 month autumn/winter break from ShooAway CEO duties

Couple of thoughts / questions:

Any "palate" cleansing between beverages?

Soda Water 

How hoppy was the beer?

It was a stout. not too Hoppy, more chocolatey/gravel//cream. 

I'm another who doesn't care for gin with cigars - far too astringent.

It was awful 

Perhaps it was the lighting, but the rosé resembled motor oil

It was quite a good one. Performed poorly on the day. 

Time for a new flag!

I think it represents Cuba perfectl:D

Peace - C45

P.S. Stevie-O, most MoHFoH, 'tis marathon weekend.... I don't hold grudges..... :lookaround:

32 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

We can't keep Steve quiet.

What chance have I got?--I can't even dominate the conversation when I'm doing vids by myself.  

5 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Have you gone full tilt and put the obnoxious yellow tie on? Man, I'll have to go back to the U.S. just to repay you for that bungled meet-up. I'll time it for when the Sox are in championship form again... not this season by the looks of things! Mother of God, what an ugly start. 

13 hours ago, aphexafx said:

That made me laugh.  Uhh, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks lol.  If you like your cigars with coffee then that's all that matters.

I'm a Coca-Cola with my cigars type through and through.  Can only, poured high over cubed ice so that just the right amount of carbonation is released.  I like strong cigars and Coke perfectly compliments, for me.  I only sip to keep my pallet fresh.  It's the only time I drink anything else besides water and morning coffee.  Cigars with: Coffee bleh, Beer bleh, Juice bleh.  I don't drink liquor.  Coke (or water) it is.  ?  ?

You're right it doesn't matter but I never really thought about the pairing actually improving the cigar or actually being able to get new flavour profiles from it.  I just treated it as something that didn't overpower the cigar and vice versa. I was just still in shock from the OJ revelation, I'm going to have a few cigars with the boys tonight and so going to try the OJ and the San Pellegrino and see if it brings out new flavours for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MD Puffer said:

Gin...

One bad experience with gin 22 years ago and I still won't go near the stuff.  

You say "gin", I envision:

Image result for glass bottle pinesol

I enjoy gin but agree completely that the hangover from it is really awful! I tend to go with vodka if drinking late into the evening.

16 hours ago, BadBadMan said:

Orange juice makes sense in a weird way. In Cuba citrus cocktails rule, albeit mostly made with lime. I’ll happily drink a well made Daiquiri with a cigar on a warm evening. I’m curious to try some orange juice cocktails now, maybe a Blood & Sand or a Tequila Sunrise to see how they stack up.  

I recently read a great great article about the history of the Canchánchara cocktail if anyone’s interested. I’ll be trying out this recipe over the weekend, but I’m guessing my Oaxacan Aguardiente will be too funky for pairing. 

https://punchdrink.com/articles/original-cuban-cocktail-canchanchara-recipe/

I had one of these when I went to Cuba. The aguardiente is like the precursor to rum, no? I enjoyed it. Simple, but good. Had a cigar with it, would probably be great with a Cohiba.

Great video. I would never have imagined that OJ would go well with cigars.  I find that OJ ruins most foods you pair it with. It's best left alone as a morning shot or added to Vodka. ;)  I will definitely try it with a Monte 4 soon. I find that Gin doesn't go well at all.  It scrapes the palate; not in a good way.  Scotch is hit or miss for me. I prefer it on its' own.  Rum goes better than whiskey IMO.  Port and Cognac are much better in terms of complementing a cigar.  Champagne/Cava/Prosecco (or other bubblies, including Sparkling Shiraz) go great with cigars. They don't overpower, they cleanse the palate nicely and give you a nice hit of sweetness if you're smoking something bold and strong. 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 11:17 AM, 99call said:

At the 15 min mark Smithy posed a question, what drinks actually featured the most favour notes in common with cigars?

I would argue you were missing drink that has most in common is;

Jose Cuervo 1800 Anejo

Cedar, Caramel, spiciness, citrus, grassiness, honey it's all there. 

jose-cuervo-1800-anejo-1283935-s441.jpg

Definitely a very nice añejo, and pricetag is really good, at least here in Mexico (about 25 bucks).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monterey said:

There is a muscat out of Australia that sounded good to me RL Buller Fine Victoria Muscat.  Has any of our Australian friends had that and would recommend that?

it is an entry level muscat.....but this country doesn't make a bad one. Great value, big flavours. 

10 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

it is an entry level muscat.....but this country doesn't make a bad one. Great value, big flavours. 

Ok. Either I am awake too late, or you're up too early.

20 minutes ago, argrovesjd said:

Rob, is that Coke Zero or another diet version? 

Wow, good catch.  Sorry, but it HAS to be original formula Coca-Cola.  The difference is HUGE.  THE RESULTS ARE SKEWED.  ?

But, seriously.  ?

• Like 3

Having an RyJ Short Churchill with an orange juice now. Wow I concur with the results!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aphexafx said:

Wow, good catch.  Sorry, but it HAS to be original formula Coca-Cola.  The difference is HUGE.  THE RESULTS ARE SKEWED.  ?

But, seriously.  ?

That's what I was getting at in my question above.  And I am talking about Coke made with CANE SUGAR and not high fructose corn syrup.  

• Like 3