fyre festival

i know Di mentioned it very briefly in a 24.24 thread but wondering how many have seen the doco? should be compulsory. unbelievable. there was a time watching it when i thought that perhaps he is not such a bad guy and just got swept up in his ambition and in over his head and that this was largely really bad luck (and incompetence). then the guy is on bail, supposedly living at his parent's basement but in fact, was in a high priced luxury penthouse and trying to scam people - mostly the same people - with utterly dishonest offers. 

no idea who ja rule is but he should be in jail as well. "no, this is not fraud'. 'it might be false advertising at worst'. this, right after being told by his friends and employees that they scammed thousands of people with blatant lies. promises that were not kept and never intended to be kept, top up offers ditto. a total scam. and the bloke now has a company called ICONN. seriously? does he have a sense of humour or just not get it? 

for those who do not know (i had read some articles about it but who knew it was that bad), guys set up the ultimate music festival supposedly on pablo escobar's private island with all the great acts (needless to say, i'd heard of none of them) which never materialised, in luxury houses (hurricane leftover tents) and private yachts with supermodels (imagine how many of those turned up) with private chefs (cheese sandwiches) and so on. complete cluster. did love the text - 'every time a rich kid gets scammed, an angel gets its wings'. some 250 influencers (compelling evidence of a world gone insane that this is a job) were offered everything free. and they got all they paid for. imagine that. influencers not happy. 

but by the first evening, the entire place went lord of the flies. 

you could not make it up. watch it! best thing on netflix, except for bruce on broadway. 

• Like 4

Oh man, I never felt for a second he was a good guy. People with that much charisma have always been the least trustworthy in my experience. Combine high charisma with ambition (normally positive characteristics, right?) and usually you have someone willing to do any number of unethical shit to get ahead. Lie with every breathe.

Can't beleive the ending. I'll try not to spoil it, but holy crap, people never learn.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, I found it hilarious. I don’t wish bad things upon people but these were super rich kids who fell for a scam. I think it was said best at the end “People paying $40k for tickets to see blink 182....” There are so many other things to feel sad about in this world.

think about how many cigars you could hoard with $40k. I dream. My wife is playing the powerball as we speak. $650 million. That’s a lot of cohibas even after April 1st. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bri Fi said:

Honestly, I found it hilarious. I don’t wish bad things upon people but these were super rich kids who fell for a scam. I think it was said best at the end “People paying $40k for tickets to see blink 182....” There are so many other things to feel sad about in this world.

think about how many cigars you could hoard with $40k. I dream. My wife is playing the powerball as we speak. $650 million. That’s a lot of cohibas even after April 1st. 

yes, the bloke on conan who said that. no idea who he was or who blink is but the rest of what he said was priceless, from memory, 'the ultimate expression of darwinism'. loved it. 

2 minutes ago, BJRPorter said:

Two documentaries. I believe one is on Hulu, the other is Netflix or Amazon. Both are nuts! That guy is a dirtbag!

love to see the other one as well.

you can guarantee that in about 5-6 years, he is on morning tv, spruiking a new product or a new gig or concept or whatever and owning up to all the mistakes in his past and telling us how much he has learnt and how he will now be leading a life to try and show full repentence. fortunately this new project will allow him to do that because it is 100% legit and he would never lie about something like that. and it will just be the next scam. and people will fall for it. 

he may even have found the lord while incarcerated and be so thankful for his time inside which will have allowed him to turn his life around and be a force for good. and he will still be ripping off anyone stupid enough to go near him. 

No doubt he is a POS, but I think they probably started out wanting to have this awesome festival but got in over his head. Where he messed up is not pulling the plug when it started falling apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, ncardw said:

No doubt he is a POS, but I think they probably started out wanting to have this awesome festival but got in over his head. Where he messed up is not pulling the plug when it started falling apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i thought the same until i saw the new scams when on bail. that is compelling evidence that he is a con. plus when you look at fyre, he does nothing but lie from day one. and an incompetent one. 

• Like 1

Fyre is my favorite dumpster fire. 

My friend went and he had an interesting take. He just made the most of it, made friends, looted the unmanned fyrefest bars and they took tequila to the beach and drank and did drugs the whole day after the first night and were essentially forced to leave. At which point they left on a flight very easily and went to Miami and partied all weekend. He also got all his money refunded by the cc company. 

You can’t revel in the hilarity of people getting ripped off because you dislike privileged or spoilt millennials or influencers. These people paid for an experience and even investors got ripped off from falsified pitch books. I think people would easily laugh at any group of people they don’t like and laugh at their misfortune but it’s kind of lame to think anyone deserves to be ripped off because they can afford a luxury like this festival, regardless of the source of their money. 

That being said, if you’re an influencer and want free stuff or experiences in life, try harder. Waste of space people. 

• Thanks 1

I think I watched the one on Hulu, good show, I just wished they had shown more footage of what took place on island and what people went thru, rather than interviews and what led up to event.

Definitely a great watch. It’s amazing to me how many people still showed up after getting no response to their questions about flights or requests for picture updates, then seems shocked about what was waiting for them when they got there!

On 3/23/2019 at 3:54 AM, db13 said:

Now imagine 24:24 if a couple social media ‘tastemakers’ jumped in and made some cigar posts. You think that refresh problem is an issue now?? 

Haha, tongue firmly in cheek there I expect!

?