Has this ever happened to you???

Your smoking through a dress box and you finish the top layer of cigars. Every cigar so far has been amazing, the pre light draw, the taste, everything. The next day you open the dress box take the cedar lining out and grab the first one on the lower half. You cut it and try the pre light draw, it’s so tight you can’t even taste anything. So you think, nah must be just me today and go ahead and light her up. The draw is horrible worse than anything you have experienced out of the first half. Since your having issues with the draw, the taste seems a little off. Now your just thinking this must be the one bad one out of the batch. You finish off the stick  reluctantly knowing you love this cigar, why put it down. The next day you grab another stick from the same box and try again. Boom, same scenario. What do you do? 

The dress box is a Partagas Shorts box code AUM MAR 15. 

My tower Humidor is controlled at 68-70 degrees and 61-63% RH. 

I had that with some boxes, but usually the first one or two or tight and I forget about the box.  Come back to it many years later and now I am in love; everything is perfect.  I don't try smoking tight cigars.  If still tight after the 5 minute mark, I toss it.

• Like 3

The band on the cigar has to be able to slip kind of easily before I’ll smoke the cigar. If it’s a humidification issue this will solve most problems. 

1 hour ago, cfc1016 said:

Some of the older boxes I purchase have wet/tight issues. I find it helps to open the lid of the box and let them be exposed to the open air in the humi. Maybe the ones on the bottom layer just weren't able to 'breathe' and need to dry out a lil.

After finishing the first layer I open the box and let the bottom half breath for at least 3 weeks before even trying one..really makes a difference 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, captain said:

After finishing the first layer I open the box and let the bottom half breath for at least 3 weeks before even trying one..really makes a difference 

I also heard this about the bottom half always needing to breath. I'm planning on rotating the cigars in the box throughout the aging period now that I read this post.

22 hours ago, Outdoorguy84 said:

Your smoking through a dress box and you finish the top layer of cigars. Every cigar so far has been amazing, the pre light draw, the taste, everything. The next day you open the dress box take the cedar lining out and grab the first one on the lower half. You cut it and try the pre light draw, it’s so tight you can’t even taste anything. So you think, nah must be just me today and go ahead and light her up. The draw is horrible worse than anything you have experienced out of the first half. Since your having issues with the draw, the taste seems a little off. Now your just thinking this must be the one bad one out of the batch. You finish off the stick  reluctantly knowing you love this cigar, why put it down. The next day you grab another stick from the same box and try again. Boom, same scenario. What do you do? 

IMO.....your temp & Rh are perfect. I stay consistent at 72f, 63rh. What I do with all dress boxes is this.......I always remove 1 from the box which I wind up smoking immediately. I take out the little cardboard spacer on the bottom because they are packed so tight and tend to be almost box-pressed.  In the case of PD4 I remove the little wood spacer. I put the bottom row on top and the top row on the bottom and remove the cedar sheet. Close the box and put them away. With SLB I pretty much always remove a cigar, cut the ribbon and remove it and put them away. That may be a little OCD but I know for me it works well. ???

• Like 1

Food for thought: the RyJ Cazadorez are some of the richest and most intense Cubans out there. They are wet packed and rolled in foil then placed in a box and sealed, the next time they see sunlight is when you open them up at home.

The are some of the most reliable and consistent cigars from Cuba.

Tubo cigars are usually held to a higher regards in terms of richness too. The uniqueness of both these types of cigars are commonly held to be because of their packaging; lack of exposure to fresh air.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 9:53 AM, Outdoorguy84 said:

I'd take them out about a month or 3 before I smoke them and let them sit in a desktop.  I age at 67 and smoke around 59-65, so they need time to decompress anyway - it's like a slow motion drybox. I've had box-pressed cigars go round after a year or so.  The key is to keep smoking cigars!  :cigar:

Food for thought: the RyJ Cazadorez are some of the richest and most intense Cubans out there. They are wet packed and rolled in foil then placed in a box and sealed, the next time they see sunlight is when you open them up at home.
  The are some of the most reliable and consistent cigars from Cuba.
  Tubo cigars are usually held to a higher regards in terms of richness too. The uniqueness of both these types of cigars are commonly held to be because of their packaging; lack of exposure to fresh air.
I am dealing with severely tight cazzies from my first cab. I wasn't blown away by the flavor, almost seemed dull and muted. Hopefully they come around at some point. For foil wrapped boxes like cazzies, should one remove the foil completely?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, prodigy said:

I am dealing with severely tight cazzies from my first cab. I wasn't blown away by the flavor, almost seemed dull and muted. Hopefully they come around at some point. For foil wrapped boxes like cazzies, should one remove the foil completely?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've always kept them sealed up for a minimum of 3 years, preferably 5+ to get through that fighting spirit they have, but it depends how you like them. I think unwrapped you'd probably lose something from them if you lost the foil wrapping but it's completely subjective. As long as they aren't too wet, and they usually come on that side, you should be able to dry box some for a fortnight to see if that changes them. Most of mine have started off tight when fresh and then they settle down when the box has been in the humidor for a few months and acclimatised

I read once someone describing them as 'swamp tobacco' I think it sums them up perfectly!