What % of your collection will be smoked by someone else when you're dead?

Not sure what id do but my loved ones would probably liquidate it and they can do whatever they want with the proceeds.

If i do get reincarnated, i hope im able to afford this hobby again.

On a sidenote, im also wondering what “Alex Wong” (one of the biggest vintage cigar collectors in the world) would do with his massive collection of cigars.

14 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

How much of a heads up do I have?  

If it is instantaneous, I dont care about much of anything anymore.  

If it’s a decent amount of time, I smoke as many of them as I can.  

But if it is only a month or two, I sell the whole lot, take that money and buy a box of Dunhill Cabinettas and smoke them.

This - though I might tweak the last bit to say buy as many Dunhill Cabinettas as I can to leave just enough coin for a few drops of Bear's finest as well. 

• Like 1

I have decided that I will not be cremated with my booze and cigars. Instead, of my friends who wish to possess the bounty, they will enter a trial by combat to determine the winner! Cue the Star Trek TOS fight music!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HDGSN said:

This - though I might tweak the last bit to say buy as many Dunhill Cabinettas as I can to leave just enough coin for a few drops of Bear's finest as well. 

Thing is, if one were to succumb to an ailment, would we still be able to enjoy the finer drams and rare cigars eventhough we are able to get our hands on them?

I woukd imagine our tastebuds shot as drugs are pumped into our bodies via the oral and IV route..

If you have ever faced issues that force you to ponder your mortality, collecting and hanging into things loses appeal. Life is about enjoyment, not accumulating. My son will be taught what to do with the cigars... if he has no interest in the hobby. As with other friends that have passed, my wife will contact friends in our circle to ensure she gets maximum value for what I have.

Smoking until death is simply impractical. At some point, I’ll start smoking down what I have and quit wondering how long my stock can last. Our taste buds won’t be performing at their best in our later years anyways. I will probably keep a smaller inventory and smoke all my vintage stock. I’ll be more worried about quality of life and spending time with family, rather than worrying about whom is going to touch my sticks...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If you have ever faced issues that force you to ponder your mortality, collecting and hanging into things loses appeal. Life is about enjoyment, not accumulating. My son will be taught what to do with the cigars... if he has no interest in the hobby. As with other friends that have passed, my wife will contact friends in our circle to ensure she gets maximum value for what I have.

Smoking until death is simply impractical. At some point, I’ll start smoking down what I have and quit wondering how long my stock can last. Our taste buds won’t be performing at their best in our later years anyways. I will probably keep a smaller inventory and smoke all my vintage stock. I’ll be more worried about quality of life and spending time with family, rather than worrying about whom is going to touch my sticks...

The best scene ever, with regards to happiness and possessions.   Burl Ives and Paul Newman smashing it out the park

• Like 1

You know....I have to thank you for this post. Ive officially decided to open my collection to my friends and family at my wake and funeral. Give me a final salute, comfort my loved ones and grab a stick of your choice on the way out. I love it. 

• Thanks 1

one of my boys has already called dibs on the aging cohibas and ryj churchs. he is 6. I like his style. 

When the revolution 1917 took place in Russia, one of Lenin's close associates, revolutionary Lev Trotsky, robbed the homes of rich people and gathered a large collection of Cuban cigars, which he liked to smoke and which he treated his subordinates. At the photo, one of the bodyguards smokes a cigar Henry Clay. Did any of the Russian collectors think his cigars would go to the Communists?...

58ab58a08c5271fc5f05737d8a56f68b.jpg

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Did any of the Russian collectors think his cigars would go to the Communists?...

Well, they weren't just taking the cigars - some four decades later they took the whole island. Just sayin'  ;)

• Like 1