Trading Customs : Question for members.

I received an email asking for a hand.  I have no idea as I am not a trader in the game. for those that are, how would you respond?

Rob, I am looking to purchase on a FB site, a mix of Yolanda and Alex customs.  How would I know that I am actually getting Yolanda or Alex customs?

Again, I have no idea how this works. 

For those that do purchase customs on the secondary market where you don't know the seller, do you authenticate? can you?. 

What is the best way to proceed"

I don’t believe there is any way to authenticate. Secondary markets like Facebook and others usually run on reputation. If I was buying, I would first and foremost be concerned with how well known and trusted the seller is. 

I would NOT purchase a custom roll from someone with little to no history in a give market. 

Buying custom cigars from a reseller is like buying used cars... there’s always a certain degree of blind faith involved.

It’s best to keep purchases to those whom you personally know that have visited these rollers.

Buying custom cigars from a reseller is like buying used cars... there’s always a certain degree of blind faith involved.

It’s best to keep purchases to those whom you personally know that have visited these rollers.

This.

I find that buying on fb groups is risky business. Not too mention, people asking the moon for regular production. Just not the down home feel and conversation that FOH provides. Most of the conversation turn into (for lack of a better term) a **** show. Not BOTL. People just tying to make a buck.

Buying custom rolls in that forum would be too risky for my taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no way to verify 100%. I've always shied away from buying any type of CC from FB or similar settings. Trust is very important and its nearly impossible to trust most of the people flipping cigars. There is ZERO recourse for retrieving your money, so the seller has very little outside motivation to sell you what they are saying they are. There is a chance you get the real thing, but its not great. Plus, there are other ways to go about procuring the same or similar cigars without the worry.

8 minutes ago, benfica_77 said:

My advice wait until @El Presidente  custom rolls / house rolls he's been R & D'ing in the lab are released and buy those. Only way to buy customs and no they are 100% legit......Speaking of which when can we find out more? I'm praying you've created a nice corona gorda! 

Struggling with the Corona Gorda. We have given ourselves until the end of March 

• Thanks 1

Only ones I might buy off Facebook would be Puntilla or some other unique size like his MJs that also come with detailed ruler photos showing size and a receipt from Alex, but even then you have to trust the Seller won’t take the money and run and that the Seller kept the sticks in good condition.

I never trusted buying customs on FB. I probably missed out on tons of great cigars, but now I know how to buy them myself in person.

• Like 1

You can contact Alex via FB or email, order him directly any customs. When your customs will be ready, you can ask Alex to pack it and take a photo, the reseller buys them, receives a check LCDH and invoice. You also need to trust your reseller.

I usually buy custom cabs and HSA cigars from Cuba through airline flight attendants. 

This is a repeatedly proven intermediary, whom I trust and who trusts me and does not need prepayment.

5 hours ago, Corylax18 said:
There is no way to verify 100%. I've always shied away from buying any type of CC from FB or similar settings. Trust is very important and its nearly impossible to trust most of the people flipping cigars. There is ZERO recourse for retrieving your money, so the seller has very little outside motivation to sell you what they are saying they are. There is a chance you get the real thing, but its not great. Plus, there are other ways to go about procuring the same or similar cigars without the worry.

I concur this and buying cigars from unauthorised vendors like FB is extremely dangerous! It is something like buying PC components from shady vendors that are known for selling fakes, rip off pricing, etc!

For verifying Cuban custom rolls, I believe that proof of purchase like factura or actual photo at the shop is compulsory in order to make the deal being safe. However, many BOTLs are unable to receive factura from custom rollers (I saw some posts about factura issue after buying custom rolls in Cuba)... ?

Hard to authenticate.  It really comes down to the sellers/traders reputation.  Also, if someone has a good IG/FB presence and document their travels down to Cuba, posts pics of purchases, etc.  That could boost confidence. But then again, someone unscrupulous could easily order some Johnny O's and do a swap.  

• Things like Monsdales which are always consistent can be traded for with some confidence.  The only drawbacks is that vintage can be easily represented and/or a premium can be added because they were actually rolled by Enrique (RIP), not Jorge.  (Haven't seen that trick attempted, but I;d be its' happened)
  • Yolanda Piramides kinda fall into the same category.  
  • Reynaldo's monster vitolas are pretty unique and his wrappers seem to be consistent for their darker tone. (at least the ones I have in my possession and have seen in his store are).
  • Hamlet's stuff like Flying Pigs and Salamons are somewhat easy to ID.  But he's rolled custom 1966's too. He's been all over the world, so there's a huge chance there are many of his Cuban customs still around.  I think with these, trader reputation plays a huge role.  
  • I guess grabbing business cards from each roller might help, or having photos taken of you picking them up with the roller can go some ways to authentication.

my2c

30 minutes ago, KnightsAnole said:

Can’t be sure. Same goes for aged sticks. I shudder to think how many flippers have dropped new sticks into an old box for the mark up. 

This (as well as the inflated prices) is why I refuse to buy on Facebook. 

1 hour ago, KnightsAnole said:

Can’t be sure. Same goes for aged sticks. I shudder to think how many flippers have dropped new sticks into an old box for the mark up. 

Very possible. Haven't come across it yet, but I've seen fakes peddled on FB with the seller blaming "their supplier" and not getting banned, etc.  Sure.  It was the "supplier".  :rolleyes:

No way to authenticate, of course.  You gotta know your source.  I only buy customs looking for an enjoyable experience - you never know what leaf will be used, so there's little consistency over the months and years.  If the tobacco is high quality and well-constructed, it's a win. I feel like vomiting when I see what people charge on the secondary for them.  Some people have quite a racket going.