Cold Weather Smoking Gear

Well winter is officially upon us here in NY and that typically means I wait until March to light one up or have to wait until I have a free weekend to sneak off to a B&M which... in NYC... you can count on one hand.

So, I’m curious, would any BOTL be able to have some tips/tricks on what you guys wear to be able to stand the cold for an hour while sitting out? I don’t have a garage so can’t do a heater.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

Friend of mine on the east coast loves this:

Undertheweatherpods.com

Very interesting. thanks!

1 minute ago, crking3 said:

I’ve had Nothing but bed luck smoking in cold temperatures ...seems like my smokes don’t want to burn like they’re supposed to in frigid temps ...and I understand .....therefore I’ve really decided I’m not even going to fight it ....just wait for a nice break in the weather ....try to be disciplined and moderate and hopefully this will. Be rewarding ???? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you from? No cigar lounges nearby?

What does your outdoor setting look like? lots of things can be done to get a little shelter.

Temps are low right now in Quebec, I can't sit outside for 1-2 hours at night to smoke even with winter gear on. I have a small garage with no heat or insulation, it's cold (water freezes) but not as bad as outside. I have built other setups to shield myself from the cold.

Can’t help with cold weather gear, but a suggestion would be to check around for a  VFW hall or American Legion hall, or even a moose lodge or some other private club. Sometimes they have an area set up for smoking. You have to be a veteran to join the VFW, but sometimes the American legion groups are a bit more lenient. Annual membership fees are usually pretty modest (double digits) 

https://www.ororowear.com/

I’ve got one of their heated hoodies and it makes it way more comfortable to sit outside when smoking in the winter! Just wait (if you can) for them to have a sale on again and you might be able to get the gear for half the price. Even though my jumper is useful I would have not wanted to pay $189 for a hoodie!

Leif

• Like 1

My wife got me a patio heater for Christmas and it works great.  However, cold to me is 50-60F.  When it's lower than 50F, I smoke in my truck.  I let it warm up, crank the heater, have the vent blow at the feet only and crack the driver's window a few inches.  The smoke blows straight out and doesn't linger in the compartment.  I usually stream a movie or TV show and play the audio over the bluetooth.  When I'm done, I flick the nub in the flower beds for mulch.  I leave the windows cracked (I have rain guards).  There's no smell  of smoke in the morning.  My local B&M is crap and these options ensure I can smoke in comfort.

• Thanks 1

It’s cold where I live about 9 months of the year. Pick yourself up a pair of these babies, insulated Carhartt bibs, they aren’t expensive and paired with some Sorel boots and a down jacket, you’ll actually enjoy smoking when it’s brisk outside. 

35D22573-0C03-4412-A6DD-E55AFC31CC4F.jpeg

• Like 1

I've smoked outside and done live web shows in weather as cold as -20 C. Layers are your friend.

I start with a solid base thermal layer, then put clothing on top of that (pants, long sleeved t-shirt), then a hoodie on top of that. Finally I have snowboard pants, and a wool peacoat that goes on last.

I wear a toque on my head to keep the ears and head warm, and thin gloves underneath insulated gloves.

For feet I wear thermal socks in winter boots.

I got a Dakota Thermalectric heated jacket and have used it a few times now and like it. On its own in not too cold weather it is fine or if colder to supplement a heater it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, Lotusguy said:

Friend of mine on the east coast loves this:

Undertheweatherpods.com

I can second this notion...been using a xl pod here in the windy hills of the east bay for a number of years now...they also can keep some of the cold out but their main effectiveness is against wind...which can really ruin a cigar. Best 130 bucks you can spend...they are available on amazon prime as well

I swear by my electric blanket. Heat from a space heater gets carried away by the breeze, but the heat from my electric blanket gets delivered directly to my bones. Get one. You’ll love it. AD7CCA7B-4432-4F6B-B4D0-BFAD6F759386.thumb.jpeg.0540305108a64abce91b67f438cc04b5.jpeg