New Quintero Band

So they just stuck "Quintero" over Simon Bolivars Head? Very Creative.

These HSA guys are really gettin' the hang of this. At least they stuck with the Red/White/Gold Theme. You never see that color combo on cigar bands today...................

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like it. The old band looked quite cheap IMO. This is a well-done update.
Unfortunately the last Quinteros I had tasted like rolled hay. 
Yes, the new band will likely include a price increase to cover the cost of the new paint job.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

So they just stuck "Quintero" over Simon Bolivars Head? Very Creative.

These HSA guys are really gettin' the hang of this. At least they stuck with the Red/White/Gold Theme. You never see that color combo on cigars bands today...................

I am just amazed that they bothered at all. I find it hard to believe that it would move one additional cigar. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, thedame007 said:

You cannot polish a turd :rolleyes:

(but you can roll it in glitter)

Cant+polish+a+turd+they+even+proved+it+on+mythbusters+_0040b7d4d316abb5566755ae02a16d04.jpg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The old band looked quite cheap IMO.

... and so was perfectly fitting for the product. For Quintero as a solid value on the lower echelon of the quality and price pyramid. Why would someone want putting so much glitter on it? Way too much gold for me, not a fan.

Oliver would you mind disclosing where this info stems from, or at least give us an idea? Hard to believe for me they will be doing it that way. I am with Rob here, and don't see any boosted sales due to a shinier band in this marca. Quintero has always had a very particular clientele. Glitter and bling is not among the things they are caring about too much (poster included).

The likely reason for redoing the band is the continual replacement of the single "Habana"-statement to be observed on all bands for a "Habana-Cuba" one. But I always wondered as to why this is done actually. First appearing around 2003, I guess. One could also notice the concurrent omission of the original owner's names on bands bit by bit (Cifuentes on Partagas, Rodriguez Arguelles on RyJ, J. Gener from HdM, del Peso on Juan Lopez, etc.). While the latter is somehow comprehensible and most likely done for reasons of trademarking (property rights) and perhaps a preparation for an eventual appearance in the US market - why also the ubiquitous addition of "CUBA" to the bands in place of the former "HABANA" alone? Someone in the know here?

10 minutes ago, garbandz said:

wait for the LE second band coming soon...........:dollarsign:

That would be for the Alabama RE.  :rotfl:

(I can say that.  I'm from Mississippi)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

... and so was perfectly fitting for the product. For Quintero as a solid value on the lower echelon of the quality and price pyramid. Why would someone want putting so much glitter on it? Way too much gold for me, not a fan.

Oliver would you mind disclosing where this info stems from, or at least give us an idea? Hard to believe for me they will be doing it that way. I am with Rob here, and don't see any boosted sales due to a shinier band in this marca. Quintero has always had a very particular clientele. Glitter and bling is not among the things they are caring about too much (poster included).

The likely reason for redoing the band is the continual replacement of the single "Habana"-statement to be observed on all bands for a "Habana-Cuba" one. But I always wondered as to why this is done actually. First appearing around 2003, I guess. One could also notice the concurrent omission of the original owner's names on bands bit by bit (Cifuentes on Partagas, Rodriguez Arguelles on RyJ, J. Gener from HdM, del Peso on Juan Lopez, etc.). While the latter is somehow comprehensible and most likely done for reasons of trademarking (property rights) and perhaps a preparation for an eventual appearance in the US market - why also the ubiquitous addition of "CUBA" to the bands in place of the former "HABANA" alone? Someone in the know here?

Usually when I have a 100% solid information and I am sure about it too I mention the source. You can check my history (dont waste your time doing it) and you will see that I've been doing that for a long time.

When I have an information that for any reason I dont feel confortable opening the source I dont do it, In this specific case the problem is not the source - who has been always right - but with HSA. We kind of know how they work and if for any reason this band doesnt appear in a near future the source may look like a clown for some, what I dont want. But like I told you, I have never heard wrong infos coming from him.

Just to illustrate what I am saying. The Vegueros new logo was designed for someone who works in many Habanos products. It's been ready for almost 2 years I guess. Have you ever seen it? No. In this same scenario it is the Quinteros band.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I am just amazed that they bothered at all. I find it hard to believe that it would move one additional cigar. 

It's just the marketing guys trying to justify their jobs :P

4 hours ago, Fugu said:

Eh, I don't know that there's that much gold--at least not any more than most other brands. It's certainly not a QdO-level revision which I could understand people being turned off by. I don't know, this one just seems fine to me. More of a facelift than a total revision. 

Personally, I'm not one who really longs for "classic design" bands. I'm actually quite surprised by the amount of folks here who are adamantly against any band updates. My take is that there have been so many variations on bands within marcas over the decades that I don't even consider band design to be something "traditional". Bands regularly changed or had multiple variations until the 1960s-70s, so I have a hard time feeling too sentimental about them. And some of them were just terrible. Pre-03 Monte bands are just garbage--not fit to grace a cigar of that caliber. Bands like that may have been acceptable in the 1930s, but times, tastes and printing methods change. 

Of course, some bands are timeless and still look fresh today. The Partagas Serie bands are fine, but also they are the original, unchanged band for that line, so that means something. The Hoyo DC band is fine. Most of the band updates of the last 15 years really just brought the bands closer to their original levels of detail. The designs were largely fine.

As a former regular buyer of unbanded cabs I'm not hung up on bands anyway, but if they're there I suppose I'd like them as classy and nicely-designed as possible. Bands are artwork as is the rest of the packaging formats. Make them great to look at--that's all I care about. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, oliverdst said:

Usually when I have a 100% solid information and I am sure about it too I mention the source. You can check my history (dont waste your time doing it) and you will see that I've been doing that for a long time.

When I have an information that for any reason I dont feel confortable opening the source I dont do it, In this specific case the problem is not the source - who has been always right - but with HSA. We kind of know how they work and if for any reason this band doesnt appear in a near future the source may look like a clown for some, what I dont want. But like I told you, I have never heard wrong infos coming from him.

Just to illustrate what I am saying. The Vegueros new logo was designed for someone who works in many Habanos products. It's been ready for almost 2 years I guess. Have you ever seen it? No. In this same scenario it is the Quinteros band.

5 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Eh, I don't know that there's that much gold--at least not any more than most other brands. It's certainly not a QdO-level revision which I could understand people being turned off by. I don't know, this one just seems fine to me. More of a facelift than a total revision.

Well, you said it yourself, the old one looking cheaper, and true - which I find indeed perfectly adequate for the product. Now, apart from excessive gold use they are adding embossing and they would also change part of the font used, which I find a shame. That squared typeface of "Tabacos" and "Habana" is unique to Quintero and, in my eyes, a perfect representation of the marca's characteristics.

But guys, I am neither questioning the trustworthiness of the source - and sorry if it came over such way - was just curious to know (all good Oliver, if you cannot disclose it, fine with me, but thanks for the explication anyway!), nor was it my intention to enter into a deeper debate on looks, as this is often a matter of personal preference. Just wanted to give voice to mine, if that's ok.

What I am really curious about is the part I have posted in my last para. Anyone?

Interestingly enough, I got a box of these at one of our locker evening sales by lot number! What the heck. It is a 2014 lot I have for guests who do not need a Cohiba.

What is most meaningful for me is my maiden name is Kwinter. So this is a cigar named after my family :lol:.

Agree that smoke quality wise, meh. But band wise, nice upgrade!

CB

• Like 1

I don't see the need for the rebrand, but I like the fact it's tasteful, and unlike the rest of HSA new bands/boxes, it doesn't look like it's been done by the Gatorade design Dept.....and thank god for that

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shaunster said:

Quintero price rises coming soon then :lol:

This glitter won't pay for itself! :fuel:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fugu said:

Well, you said it yourself, the old one looking cheaper, and true - which I find indeed perfectly adequate for the product. Now, apart from excessive gold use they are adding embossing and they would also change part of the font used, which I find a shame. That squared typeface of "Tabacos" and "Habana" is unique to Quintero and, in my eyes, a perfect representation of the marca's characteristics.

But guys, I am neither questioning the trustworthiness of the source - and sorry if it came over such way - was just curious to know (all good Oliver, if you cannot disclose it, fine with me, but thanks for the explication anyway!), nor was it my intention to enter into a deeper debate on looks, as this is often a matter of personal preference. Just wanted to give voice to mine, if that's ok.

What I am really curious about is the part I have posted in my last para. Anyone?

I didnt think you questioned my source.

Another example. Some days ago I posted in the chatbox that 2019 Festival will be 18-22/feb.

I´ve just received a message from a friend in Cuba that I trust 100%, so, yes, these dates are confirmed.

• Like 1